Elliot Scheiner & Audio Fidelity Announce 5.1 SACD Partnership

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. Though not a title to excite some listeners, this is one I'm very curious to hear, and it's getting close to time for pulling out some holiday cheer on vinyl and CD, so why not some surround, too? :)

ED :)

Same here. Though not a title to excite some listeners, this is one I'm very curious to hear, and it's getting close to time for pulling out some holiday cheer on vinyl and CD, so why not some surround, too? :)

ED :)

A 5.1 Surround SACD with holiday music mixed by Elliot Scheiner... Yes, I'm up for that! :)

Damn this is good news! Hope they can secure some titles I love!

Sure. I'd encourage you to email Audio Fidelity with requests like this for 5.1 SACD titles. They check the forums from time to time (as I do). But email definitely works!

On the mastering, Audio Fidelity also uses Kevin Gray (as does Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds) and the first Elliot Scheiner 5.1 SACD was mastered by award-winning engineer Darcy Proper who is very saavy with both Stereo and 5.1 Surround mastering - having done quite a bit of that for Sony Music before moving her work to Europe.

I think Steve Hoffman does some fine work (the new Peter , Paul & Mary SACD "In The Wind" is excellent). But Kevin Gray and Darcy Proper are definitely right up there - as is Bob Ludwig who did the Super Session 5.1 SACD mastering. And, of course, Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center in Boulder who works on many of these SACD projects as well.

Darcy ruined Within Temptations's Blu ray with compression and limiting! I would not sell her as the best thing since sliced bread. Limiting on a Blu Ray? WTF?

Glad to see E.S. still in the game. Now let's hope we can get some of the surround mixes by Steely Dan and Fleetwood Mac that are still in the vaults collecting dust!

I would love some new ones on titles AF have already done on CD, such as Dio's Holy Diver(I believe owned by Wendy Dio).

That would be incredible!...

And VERY POSSIBLE! I see no reason why AF could not secure the title. Steve Hoffman said Wendy was very helpful last time when he mastered Holy Diver for AF, and she owns Dio's estate.

A title like this would very popular and make it's money back. It would also encourage a few of the SH forum members to convert to 5.1.

This news is absolutely, positively incredible.

None of the 3 titles announced/released so far strike my fancy (I tried), but the mere fact this is happening makes me jump up and down!

In all of the excitement, no one has mentioned the unreleased Elton John SACDs.
Those would sell big time, imo.

Interesting announcement that bodes well for our niche. Given the ELS legacy, this feels rather like the Ford family (DVDA) now building Camaros (SACD).

From QQ deep space

In all of the excitement, no one has mentioned the unreleased Elton John SACDs.
Those would sell big time, imo.

Maybe but we have plenty of Elton in 5.1. I would prefer a new artist myself.

What SACD's are you thinking of?
It's been so long that I don't remember exactly which ones were done had not been released.
At the least, Don't Shoot Me and Caribou would be nice.
For the record, I'd like "new" artists too. All of them!

This is good news indeed. So lets see. We now have Elliot Scheiner, Steven Wilson, Bob Clearmountain and Andy Jackson all competing for our QQ dollars. And these are just the ones that come to mind. The future sure looks bright. Competition can be good.
Phil

I'm sure I saw a list somewhere on the forum with all the 'known' unreleased 5.1 mixes, does it exist? I can't find it.

I'd start e-mailing AF asking for stuff from that list first :)

Seems like AF continues to somewhat underwhelm with this series of releases. Who would admit to looking forward to this one if it wasn't in 5.1?

As for the rest of ES's 5.1 work for more prominent artists, it won't mean much if AF is unable to license the titles.

This is good news indeed. So lets see. We now have Elliot Scheiner, Steven Wilson, Bob Clearmountain and Andy Jackson all competing for our QQ dollars. And these are just the ones that come to mind. The future sure looks bright. Competition can be good.
Phil

Never mind the competition. Bring on the quantity!

Back