Elliot Scheiner & Audio Fidelity Announce 5.1 SACD Partnership

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the rest of ES's 5.1 work for more prominent artists, it won't mean much if AF is unable to license the titles.

Unfortunately you are probably right. Those surround mixes don't belong to ES and they could well be lost somewhere anyway (unless he's like some of the s/w developers that have worked for me over the years that seem keep copies of everything they've ever worked on).

Unfortunately you are probably right. Those surround mixes don't belong to ES and they could well be lost somewhere anyway (unless he's like some of the s/w developers that have worked for me over the years that seem keep copies of everything they've ever worked on).

That's the case with all reissued albums - Stereo or Multichannel, SACD or Download, etc. You need approval of the owner/record label, recording artist and sometimes other members of the creative team. It helps explain why licensing, remastering and reissuing these is such a long process.

One advantage of Audio Fidelity working with a major player in the Multichannel field like Elliot Scheiner is he knows the artists, creative team and record labels behind the 5.1 mixes he has done. I'd bet it will increase the odds that more Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mixes - both previously released and unreleased - make it to Audio Fidelity 5.1 SACDs. An exciting prospect for QQ fans!

That's the case with all reissued albums - Stereo or Multichannel, SACD or Download, etc. You need approval of the owner/record label, recording artist and sometimes other members of the creative team. It helps explain why licensing, remastering and reissuing these is such a long process.

One advantage of Audio Fidelity working with a major player in the Multichannel field like Elliot Scheiner is he knows the artists, creative team and record labels behind the 5.1 mixes he has done. I'd bet it will increase the odds that more Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mixes - both previously released and unreleased - make it to Audio Fidelity 5.1 SACDs. An exciting prospect for QQ fans!

Yes indeed, to Licence an album; you need the approval of the owner. EG. Oasis; WTSMG, the band didn't even know the album was being mixed in 5.1 and had zero input. The record label just did it as they own the material. It gets tricky if a band/ artists owns their publishing but a record label owns the masters. The artist would have to get permission off the label to issue 5.1, even if it's their own material.

If AF wanted to licence Metallica, the ONLY people they need to contact is Metallica, as they own their full back catalog. No label needs to be contacted!

Some managers, labels are a pain in the backside to deal with from what I gather. I would presume ES knows who is most open to 5.1?

Yes indeed, to Licence an album; you need the approval of the owner.

And in some cases the artist as well. Depends on the contracts in place.

Case in point - the 5.1 SACD release of Dark Side of the Moon. Before that album came out in 5.1 SACD Surround, producer/engineer James Guthrie brought his initial 5.1 mix to each band member for review and received requested tweaks and changes. The 5.1 mix was then changed and recirculated to Pink Floyd band members until all of the band members signed off and approved the final version that was released.

Elliot Scheiner can open doors for Audio Fidelity in terms of helping them talk with the key players who will need to sign off on each release. It will be a big help in the process of getting the licenses and approvals needed for more 5.1 SACD releases from AF.

And in some cases the artist as well. Depends on the contracts in place.

Case in point - the 5.1 SACD release of Dark Side of the Moon. Before that album came out in 5.1 SACD Surround, producer/engineer James Guthrie brought his initial 5.1 mix to each band member for review and received requested tweaks and changes. The 5.1 mix was then changed and recirculated to Pink Floyd band members until all of the band members signed off and approved the final version that was released.

Elliot Scheiner can open doors for Audio Fidelity in terms of helping them talk with the key players who will need to sign off on each release. It will be a big help in the process of getting the licenses and approvals needed for more 5.1 SACD releases from AF.

The artists can be the biggest obstacle...and most painful to deal with..I know some feel that it's their music .yada yada yada...but the reality is guys like ES and Steven Wilson are professionals and they usually know the best approach...why hire a highly regarded professional and then micromanage the whole project...this is why some guys like Steven Wilson are very selective about who they work with...it's not just the love of the music...they want to have the freedom to work on the project without constant interference...although it might be the band's music....the surround aspect reflects on the professional who does the job...there is a huge difference between having input from the band and constant micromanagement from the band...that's why some of these "dream" combinations of bands and engineers never would happen...ES and Steven Wilson know who they can work with and who they will avoid...

The artists can be the biggest obstacle...and most painful to deal with..I know some feel that it's their music.

There is a reason that they are called recording artists. Albums represent their work and talent.

So it's not surprising that some musicans are very interested in and protective of their albums and performances. It also explains why remixes can be checked closely and tweaked to enhance a part or performance that was maybe mixed a little low on the initial release, etc. On the other hand, there are artists that hand off remixes to their producers, engineers and management with little or no review.

It's all part of what goes into the reissue process.

Very good new indeed! I'll take any format as long as the 5.1 mixes are of high-quality :)

With Elliot Scheiner at the mixing board, I think we're in very good hands. His 5.1 mixes have been excellent over the years. I think we'll find his upcoming 5.1 SACDs from Audio Fidelity to be just as good! :)

With Elliot Scheiner at the mixing board, I think we're in very good hands. His 5.1 mixes have been excellent over the years. I think we'll find his upcoming 5.1 SACDs from Audio Fidelity to be just as good! :)

I agree with this, sure wish these were coming out as Dvd Audio's which with ELS sound system was such a amazing match(great sound in the car) so that I could use these in the car as well.
I find I don't listen to Sacd's as much in my surround library but guess that could change if something comes along that really inspires me. The titles so far are not up my alley.
Happy for those that are enjoying what is being produced so far.

peter

I agree with this, sure wish these were coming out as Dvd Audio's which with ELS sound system was such a amazing match(great sound in the car) so that I could use these in the car as well.
I find I don't listen to Sacd's as much in my surround library but guess that could change if something comes along that really inspires me. The titles so far are not up my alley.
Happy for those that are enjoying what is being produced so far.

peter

The bottom line is Audio Fidelity entered the 5.1 SACD market as a way to appeal to their core customer base that wants and expects high quality SACD & CD Stereo tracks on each release.

The 5.1 Surround tracks are an enhancement to those fans. They can play the 5.1 tracks - or not - and still enjoy the high qualty Stereo SACD & CD Audio on the reissues. It also gives Audio Fidelity extra, or new customers, who have a focus on Multichannel and not Stereo.

A savvy approach to the market I'd say.

Maybe but we have plenty of Elton in 5.1. I would prefer a new artist myself.

(n) I've been waiting TEN f***ing years for these Elton 5.1's! If this is what it takes to get them out at last (I don't think it is going to bring that about but still) let's be having the bloody mixes!!!!

This makes sense...they already had this one "in the can"...silent night in surround:cool:...but ES with a formal agreement with Audio Fidelity is

HUGE...this is another great sign that the surround niche is getting the best people in the right spots...Steven Wilson working on Songs From the Big Chair...Bob Clearmountain with Reckless...and now this....what a trifecta of talent...hopefully they will be permitted to work on some great projects...wait until fredblue sees this news....hehe...

Not so enamoured by the material but the prospect of AF + ES + 5.1 is just too mouth watering for words!!!! :p

This is good news indeed. So lets see. We now have Elliot Scheiner, Steven Wilson, Bob Clearmountain and Andy Jackson all competing for our QQ dollars. And these are just the ones that come to mind. The future sure looks bright. Competition can be good.
Phil

Don't forget our very own Neil Wilkes! Oh and Shoutouts to Frank Filipetti, Nathaniel Kunkel, Simon Heyworth and Ronald Prent! All very talented guys too, with the latter two of those last four still heavily involved in 5.1 music.

This is great news. Though leading off with a Christmas album doesn't seem like a good play, but hey, I'm not the one in control here.

It seems to me Mr. Schiener has found a new home since Rhino/Warner destroyed the whole Quadio program :p

Hopefully, we get some great, marketable, High Profile titles. I would love to see reissues of Elton John albums, Eagles, maybe the unissued Thriller?

Now is Audio Fidelity a wholly independent label or are they associated with BMG/UMG/Sony/EMI/Warner or whatever record company is left?

While SNood is sure this mix will be nice for what it is............

Gotta be honest with yall' - Snood is worried about this - since this is not a limited numbered edition, Snood will prob not pick this up til after Christmas when the price plummets...................

We are hoping for the holy Grails of ES here, but to start off a series with this????? Really? Kind of a blunder

Snood not holding my breath on any amazing future titles from this union............

Hoping that they are not using the ES name to sell just anything.............and hoping Elliot has not sold out.

Usually am glass half full, but this is a really bad lead promotion...............reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly bad!!!!!!

This is great news. Though leading off with a Christmas album doesn't seem like a good play, but hey, I'm not the one in control here.

It seems to me Mr. Schiener has found a new home since Rhino/Warner destroyed the whole Quadio program :p

Hopefully, we get some great, marketable, High Profile titles. I would love to see reissues of Elton John albums, Eagles, maybe the unissued Thriller?

Now is Audio Fidelity a wholly independent label or are they associated with BMG/UMG/Sony/EMI/Warner or whatever record company is left?

Audio Fidelity is a wholly independent label. They have issued titles from all three major label groups (UMG, Sony, Warner) and other labels over the years.

I think the agreement helps them access and tap into new productions by Elliot Scheiner as well as his past work. Should be interesting.

Back