Elliot Scheiner & Audio Fidelity Announce 5.1 SACD Partnership

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Sleepers Awake! track aux Swingle Singers sounds very promising. I'm tempted.

Finally have some time to comment on this AMAZING news!
Besides Steven Wilson's work over the last 5-6 years, no one has been a bigger proponent for 5.1 surround mixes than ES, so this partnership should hopefully prove to be very fruitful, as long as the artists and record labels cooperate.
And why shouldn't they?
If there are already a lot of great unreleased 5.1 mixes sitting there, get them out!
Nobody's going to make any money on them if they just sit there!

So far, the AF 5.1 SACD program hasn't been that exciting, simply because I haven't heard many good things about "Breezin", while "Super Session" leaves me disappointed most of the time musically. Haven't heard BS&T yet, but it's currently on preorder.

I'll probably skip over the Christmas disc, but after that, hope springs eternal! :) :banana:

Finally have some time to comment on this AMAZING news!
Besides Steven Wilson's work over the last 5-6 years, no one has been a bigger proponent for 5.1 surround mixes than ES, so this partnership should hopefully prove to be very fruitful, as long as the artists and record labels cooperate.
And why shouldn't they?
If there are already a lot of great unreleased 5.1 mixes sitting there, get them out!

So far, the AF 5.1 SACD program hasn't been that exciting, simply because I haven't heard many good things about "Breezin", while "Super Session" leaves me disappointed most of the time musically. Haven't heard BS&T yet, but it's currently on preorder.

I'll probably skip over the Christmas disc, but after that, hope springs eternal! :) :banana:

+1 !

No one has been a bigger proponent for 5.1 surround mixes than ES, so this partnership should hopefully prove to be very fruitful, as long as the artists and record labels cooperate. And why shouldn't they?

It's true that Elliot Scheiner has been and continues to be a fan and proponent of 5.1 music. I'm sure he will be a big plus to Audio Fidelity's Multichannel SACD release program.

As to artists and record labels, even if there are 5.1 mixes available - and they know about them, that doesn't mean the tapes are available for licensing for reissue on Stereo SACD.
Or, in some cases, the tapes are available for Stereo SACD reissue but not 5.1 reissue. Sad, but that's the way it is with some titles and artists for a variety of reasons.

I think it's fair to say that Marshall and the AF team is doing their best to bring out more Multichannel SACDs. The marketplace will decide the success or not of each reissue.

Wonder if we will see Infinite Arms by Band of Horses, 5.1 mix by ES?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKh3nxmofN4

Wow, I would love to see this one released. I LOVE Band of Horses and this is a great album. Very exciting that a contemporary artist could potentially find its way to a surround release. I guess the more baffling question is how a surround mix that was driven by the band themselves could have sat on a shelf for over 4 years and have never been released? Crazy! But glad there could be a potential of it finally getting out to us surround fans.

Wonder if we will see Infinite Arms by Band of Horses, 5.1 mix by ES?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKh3nxmofN4

This I would buy, thanks for posting that link, I was aware that there is a 5.1 recording but had not seen this. It sucks that there are all these 5.1's tucked away when they could be enjoyed by way more people than just the band members and people like ES.
Thanks for sharing this link.

It would be wonderful if he could go back and mix their first two albums in 5.1 as well. Those albums are so incredibly good.

Great news on more 5.1 titles. My gripe is SACDs are great if you have a SACD player that is 5.1 compatible and it's also getting harder to actually buy a SACD player.
I'm a fan of DVD or BluRay over SACD.

Great news on more 5.1 titles. My gripe is SACDs are great if you have a SACD player that is 5.1 compatible and it's also getting harder to actually buy a SACD player.
I'm a fan of DVD or BluRay over SACD.

Don't forget the Oppo 103, 105 and 105D disc players. All are still available from Oppo, Amazon and Dealers.

The Oppo players handle Multichannel SACD, DVD-A, DVD and Blu-Ray discs! Not to mention Single Rate DSD64 and PCM music downloads in Multichannel.
A must own these days to play all the disc formats out there!

http://www.oppodigital.com/

Don't forget the Oppo 103, 105 and 105D disc players. All are still available from Oppo, Amazon and Dealers.

The Oppo players handle Multichannel SACD, DVD-A, DVD and Blu-Ray discs! Not to mention Single Rate DSD64 and PCM music downloads in Multichannel.
A must own these days to play all the disc formats out there!

http://www.oppodigital.com/

Agree with you. An oppo is next on my list.

If that was a prerequisite, nothing would ever get released.

What I specifically mean is there are certain titles that will appeal to all of those interested in surround music. No only that they will attract newbies. The ones released and coming out soon do not fit that mould.

Would anyone on here NOT be interested in Santana III, Best of the Doors or Jeff Beck's Wired quad mixes on SACD?

I am just thinking there's no point in bother to licence titles that only appeal to a minority of which is already a minority of music fans. I do not begrudge you, do not get me wrong. I would love Kreator SACDs, but I respect that is not ideal for the audience the format appeals to.

If that was a prerequisite, nothing would ever get released.

You are right.

There isn't an artist or title that someone here would not object to. As always, Audio Fidelity will do their best to balance what is available and license-able with titles that have the broadest appeal. Recognizing that complaints about each one will be inevitable.

You are right.

There isn't an artist or title that someone here would not object to. As always, Audio Fidelity will do their best to balance what is available and license-able with titles that have the broadest appeal. Recognizing that complaints about each one will be inevitable.

Nobody would object to Jeff Beck or Santana.

Elliot Scheiner - the guy who really got today's surround vibe going about 15 years ago or so. At this point he's most likely free to do whatever he likes. Him joining up with AF suggests that he's not ready to retire (he's 67) just yet. Whatever he wants to have a hand in is, at this point, a bonus as far as I can see.

Back