It’s Official. No more Ocean Way Recording

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Birthplace of my all-time favorite record, "Spilt Milk" by Jellyfish.

OMG SIMPLE - you are da DR!!!! Love Jellyfish - saw them in concert on their Spilt Milk Tour in a small venue - Was one of the best ever - the Lite Bright on stage lol was great.

Got most of the solo stuff after they split and Fan Club etc............

One of the best bands ever...........to hear spilt mikl in 5.1 would be a dream come trooooooooooooooooo :51banana:

OMG SIMPLE - you are da DR!!!! Love Jellyfish - saw them in concert on their Spilt Milk Tour in a small venue - Was one of the best ever - the Lite Bright on stage lol was great.

Got most of the solo stuff after they split and Fan Club etc............

One of the best bands ever...........to hear spilt mikl in 5.1 would be a dream come trooooooooooooooooo :51banana:

Uh-oh... Don't get me started on Jellyfish! 17 years ago I started my acoustic duo, dr. simple, and it should not surprise you that my avatar is a Lite Brite, and I totally stole the idea from Jellyfish! I got to see them twice on the Spilt Milk tour, and I've collected all their singles, etc...

"Spilt Milk" would be a surround sound dream... "Intermission gave way to a miracle" (trumpet fanfare in right-rear), "Birth of an accident grew to a spectacle" (harp flourish in left-rear)... Like I said: a dream.

But back to the thread topic: The inner sleeve of "Spilt Milk" contains a magical photo of what was, at the time, Ocean Way. Jellyfish_SpiltMilk_stor2.jpg

Best most over looked band evvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvver

If some of you are not familiar with Jellyfish - check this cut out on Youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uck43qonngo

The production is wonderful...........very very very talented

BTW Dr. Simple did u pick up the newer releases like Radio Jellyfish, Live at Bogarts and Stack -A-Tracks??

Nice stuff.......nothing like the reg releases but still nice

BTW Dr. Simple did u pick up the newer releases like Radio Jellyfish, Live at Bogarts and Stack -A-Tracks??

Heck yeah! Wouldn't have missed them. "Bellybutton" on vinyl filling the room as I type! (U.K. pressing with bonus live EP). In fact, I managed to order "Stack-A-Tracks" from Amazon, even though it was a Record Store Day release (before they cracked down on such practices), but STILL went to the record store an hour before opening to grab a copy.

Sorry all of you who are reading this because you love Ocean Way Recording, but both Jellyfish albums (in part, anyway) were recorded there.

I'm right with you, dr. simple & Snood. Jellyfish produced 2 pop masterpieces. Brilliant performances, production and arrangements. The recent Omnivore colored vinyl releases sound amazing. I also have Live at Bogarts, Radio Jellyfish (vinyl) and Stack-A-Tracks (CD). Great stuff!

JellyfishVinyl.jpg

I confess when I saw the thread title I was extremely alarmed.
We knew Allen Sides had sold the studios to a property developer, and we have all been waiting for it to be turned into offices or similar but thankfully this has not happened, the actual studios are the same - no changes to kit, layout, decor & staff - this is fantastic news. We recently lost The Townhouse in London (on the heels of Trident, Battery, and many others) and it is extremely sad to see the Townhouse building being knocked down to make flats for rich yuppies. This is a crime against art, and if there were ever cases for preservation orders then they should apply to some of these seminal studios.

Ocean Way - or United Recording Studios (it's original name) is a part of your cultural history - never let it go the way of Trident or The Townhouse.

PS - All bankers are bastards - there is a good reason we get the rhyming slang "Merchant Banker".

Back