Supertramp Crime of The Century finally coming in December

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you been able to give this another try? I bought the HD download from Qobuz and it sounds very good.

I've given up on the Blu-ray. Nothing I could do to get it to sound right.. I tried every one of the 3 codecs, bitstreamed to let the AVR handle the processing and also decoded by the players' DACs and no matter what there was distortion and other naff stuff going on.

So, I DL'd the MFiT and its great, excellent even, with none of the negatives I encountered on the Blu., so I can only assume I have either a dud Blu or something awry in my setup that I can't or don't know how to rectify. Ah well, next..!! :D

I have both Supertramp Blu-Rays and I am glad I bought them. While I am disappointed in them being only 2.0, these are titles that I haven't been willing to own on vinyl since I gave up on ceramic cartridges and autochangers. There are only a few albums I can not tolerate any signs of wear/dirt, and these are two of them. Now if only I could get Alan Parson's Pyramids album on BD.

While I am disappointed in them being only 2.0, these are titles that I haven't been willing to own on vinyl since I gave up on ceramic cartridges and autochangers.
irony is that... Crime Of The Century was already mixed into quad and supposed to be released as quad LP and Q8

cotc.jpg

I wonder what happened to the quad mix. I would (almost) kill to hear that.:rolleyes:
i guess as usual, dusted and slowly dies somewhere in the vault.
i would love to hear this in surround as well. that's their most strongest album.

I have the download version but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I really wish they would take the effort to hire someone to do a decent surround mix on this and "Breakfast In America". :(

I just listened to this download copy of "Crime of the Century". It sounds pretty decent except the one thing that bothers me is the 'air' (very top end) seems to be missing. Could this be a Redbook clone? :mad:@:

I just listened to this download copy of "Crime of the Century". It sounds pretty decent except the one thing that bothers me is the 'air' (very top end) seems to be missing. Could this be a Redbook clone? :mad:@:

I have the bluray disc of this title and to my ears there is absolutely no air/top end missing. Add to this a very good and solid bottom end. It is actually one of the most dynamic discs I have heard - huge difference between the soft/laidbacks and the more rocking segments. Had a good listen on my earphone rig yesterday and it is very good sounding to my ears - only in the end of the song Dreamer it gets a little too harsch and compressed - otherwise i am impressed.

I thought maybe it was compressed but upon checking:

foobar2000 1.3.6 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2015-01-03 00:27:12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Supertramp / Crime Of The Century
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR12 -0.01 dB -16.81 dB 5:35 01-School
DR15 0.00 dB -17.10 dB 4:32 02-Bloody Well Right
DR12 0.00 dB -15.60 dB 6:50 03-Hide In Your Shell
DR12 0.00 dB -16.88 dB 6:50 04-Asylum
DR12 -0.12 dB -16.57 dB 3:33 05-Dreamer
DR13 -0.26 dB -18.72 dB 7:21 06-Rudy
DR14 -0.15 dB -19.26 dB 4:06 07-If Everyone Was Listening
DR13 -0.18 dB -17.44 dB 5:33 08-Crime Of The Century

Number of tracks: 8
Official DR value: DR13

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 2957 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================

Back