HiRez Poll Blood Sweat & Tears - CHILD IS FATHER TO THE MAN [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Blood Sweat and Tears - CHILD IS FATHER TO THE MAN

• 5 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters
This disc has been sitting on the top shelf of my stereo cabinet since it arrived for about a month because I just keep coming back to it over and over... The music was completely new to me when I purchased this, and the fusion of blues (accentuated by Kooper's tasty guitar licks), jazz (the horn section is great), classical (string arrangements), and psychedelia (maniacal laughs, among others) is intoxicating. The fidelity of the album is amazing for its time, and there is no audible compression or clipping. The surround mix, however, is one of the best I've heard... Playful and adventurous when the music calls for it (I love the sound of spit flying across the room and hitting its target), discrete and more static when appropriate. This would be a perfect demonstration disc if the music was more well known... As it is, I give this a rare 10... And this disc will stay on the top shelf.

Just voted an 8. Exceeded expectations but the music is still 60's music and hasn't aged well. I like the music more now in surround than I did when the album first came out in stereo. Al Kooper did a great job with the surround mix and sonics. I never expected either to be as good as they our. Don't expect many 9/10 ratings from me.

I voted on this a while ago but never got around to commenting about it. I've loved this album since it came out in 1968. To me it is the only album I consider to be Blood, Sweat & Tears. I never cared for the DCT versions of the band (I know a lot of you like those versions, so please don't hit me :smack:). I feel bad reading how AL was basically thrown out of the band he started. This just has a "feel" to me that I didn't get from the subsequent albums. Love the songs and definitely love the surround. Solid 10.

This is an outstanding funky 70's QUAD style mix. (though as noted, it's not Quad) I love it for that. While I do like listening to this, I do have to be in the mood. The songs individually aren't always clicking with me, but that's just my preference.

Regardless, fidelity and mix are killer and content is good. I voted a 9.

Last edited:
This is an outstanding funky QUAD mix. I love it for that. While I do like listening to this, I do have to be in the mood. The songs individually aren't always clicking with me, but that's just my preference.

Regardless, fidelity and mix are killer and content is good. I voted a 9.

Are you sure you're reviewing the right SACD? BS&T(II) is Quad. This one is 5.1
Either way, you're right in that they are both outstanding and FUNKY! :)

Reactions: GOS
Are you sure you're reviewing the right SACD? BS&T(II) is Quad. This one is 5.1
Either way, you're right in that they are both outstanding and FUNKY! :)

Yeah, I'm reviewing right one. And you are right, it's NOT Quad. I guess I was thinking it was...mostly due to the style of the mix.

I finally got this one, never really liked the music a lot, but this sounds incredible. The fidelity is top notch and the surround mix is great too. Overall my enjoyment is about 8. Glad to have it .

I finally found an online retailer not asking me to break the bank. Thank you Bull Moose. This is an album that demands a full listen. There are many genres covered with a somewhat limited vocalist. The music is amazing! What a ride! I put it on repeat so I can hear more Sixty sounds.

I finally found an online retailer not asking me to break the bank. Thank you Bull Moose. This is an album that demands a full listen. There are many genres covered with a somewhat limited vocalist. The music is amazing! What a ride! I put it on repeat so I can hear more Sixty sounds.

I totally agree! An absolute masterpiece. Only wish Al Kooper would ensure this overlooked LIVE 1968 {at the Fillmore] gem with Mike Bloomfield would also get the QUAD SACD treatment. One could ONLY hope.:banana:

https://www.amazon.com/Live-Adventures-Mike-Bloomfield-Kooper/dp/B000002AAN

A tad weaker than "Super session", but still a tremendous listen.

If anyone is wondering about my picks, well, my father is a great fan of @l K%per, mainly due to the book "100 Great Albums of the Sixties" by John Tobler in which both "Super session" and this album were highly praised. He gave them a spin purely upon this read. subsequently he obtained all his œuvre, including these two crown jewels.

This is really hard to tell, and I don't know if it's because I ripped it incorrectly, but I believe the front right channel of this mix is 1.5dB too loud. If it's 1.5dB quieter, and vocals and other elements are centered in the mix, and often match the loudness of identical elements in the center channel.

Great album, and the surround mix is definitely an improvement over the somewhat uneven panning of the original stereo mix. Some mixes impressed me, while others left me wanting a bit more. (Much of the runtime of "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know" sounds a bit lonely in the rears, for example.) Perhaps this could be chalked up to recording limitations, but regardless.

It's by no means a bad mix. If you love the album, absolutely give this a shot. If you haven't heard the album at all, you absolutely need to remedy that mistake. Giving this release a 6.

Back