HiRez Poll Blood Sweat & Tears - CHILD IS FATHER TO THE MAN [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Blood Sweat and Tears - CHILD IS FATHER TO THE MAN

• 6 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters
It is an excellent release. No surprise that it has scored 13 "9's" or "10's" so far.
And yes, there are more Multichannel SACDs from Audio Fidelity on the way...... :)

-- Brian (a.k.a. the "Multichannel Maven" at Audio Fidelity)

Wonderful news that there's more coming Maven Moura! Are there more 4.0 titles to come from AF as well as 5.1? Can we hope for anymore previously unreleased mixes? Anymore from Warner's vaults? :p

This is an easy 10 for me. Great songs, great mix. I love the adventurous "around the room" effects on some of the songs. Really great to be seeing new SACD surround mixes coming our way.

I was interested as soon as I saw this announced. I'd had the album on vinyl waiting to be listened to for a while so I checked that out to make sure I liked it, and it was an interesting listen and a grower. I'm on track 2 of the surround mix. I'm smiling. Not bad, is it? (That's British for really good.)

Wonderful news that there's more coming Maven Moura! Are there more 4.0 titles to come from AF as well as 5.1? Can we hope for anymore previously unreleased mixes? Anymore from Warner's vaults? :p

Picked this one up, too...and agree this is a stellar job on the surround mix by Mr. Kooper to go with some terrific music that, as much of a fan as I am of 60s and 70s music, I must confess that I had not heard before (other than "I Can't Quit Her").

Highly recommended!

I'm sure many of you know this, but this album was released just EIGHT months after "Sgt. Pepper". Now, don't get me wrong - I'm a huge Beatles fan - but this BS&T album sounds, in my opinion, much more sophisticated, much more than I'd expect a mere eight months later.

I'm sure many of you know this, but this album was released just EIGHT months after "Sgt. Pepper". Now, don't get me wrong - I'm a huge Beatles fan - but this BS&T album sounds, in my opinion, much more sophisticated, much more than I'd expect a mere eight months later.

So why can't we have Sgt. Pepper in 4.0???? Too bad George Martin or his son aren't members here, I know we could persuade them to release it.

So why can't we have Sgt. Pepper in 4.0???? Too bad George Martin or his son aren't members here, I know we could persuade them to release it.

Wow..that's one of my fantasy selections...well..any of the Beatle catalog..how about Magical Mystery Tour..songs like I Am The Walrus(yellow matter custard dripping from a dead dog's eye)..

Hey Clint! I would happily start with MMT, BUT that would be only a start of greater things to come. While I don't claim to be the biggest Beatles fan, I am of the school that there is no such thing as a bad Beatles song or LP.

A clear 10 from me. Very impressive audio quality and 5.1-mix, and the music was also better than I was expecting (having only heard the two "hits" before), no fillers to my ears.

Sound-wise this release together with Marley's Legend tops this year's surround disc list for me. Mix-wise there are other titles that can compete, like the Steven Wilson XTC and Jethro Tull, but for the sonic side BS&T and Marley is right up my alley.

A 10 from me also, the songs are well written and performed....novel 'big band' approach at the time, the mix is creative enough and the SACD sounds spectacular. Back in the days of the Rolling Stone Record Guide (went through several editions over the years......) being a definitive opinion maker, this LP always got their 5 stars, even when the editorial staff's tastes changed. Nuf' said. John

What a great release! I was not familiar with this album or the Supersession one, but these really sound great. There's some great music on here, the fidelity is incredible and, most of all, Al Kooper has done a great mix. He really gets it when it comes to using the whole room to enhance the music. Another demo quality disc for me.

K

Just got this disc in today, and I'm really enjoying it!

While the surround mix was great on "SuperSession", the music left me less than impressed.

THIS DISC however has a great surround mix of great music, so it's a win-win situation for sure!

A Solid '9' vote from me, and I definitely recommend this disc to each and everyone of you who haven't picked it up yet!

Now I'm just waiting to get the BS&T and Guess Who Quad mixes as well! :)

This is an album I'd never heard before, but I loved "Supersessions" so I got it. I really like a third of the songs, the rest are good, which is a really pleasant surprise for an album unknown to me, its an eclectic mix of music, so a 7+. The mix is great it fits the music of the era (I was 10-11yrs old, a year later I discovered Jimi Hendrix), and had me smiling with the panning (the sonic equivalent of the Zaps and Pows in 60s TV Batman!) so its a 9. The re-mix gives it good clarity so 8+. So I end up around an 8+. I'd recommend it.

I'm very familiar with this album and was really surprised by the surround mix! When I started out purchasing many surround music releases around 2002, I always disliked anything that wasn't mixed to place the band at the front of the stage with ambiance for the rear channels, other than electronic music. Maybe, due to the years and years of listening to two-channel audio with some Mono. Not with this one! Al Kooper has done a wonderful job and this surround mix is very tastefully done. And the sound-stage up front is humongous!!! I was never fond of SUPER SESSION with the exception of "His Holy Modal Majesty". So, I won't be getting that just for one song but I do recommend "Child Is Father To The Man" and consider this one the best BS&T record from start to finish because of variance and every one of the songs being good. The slightly different mix over the original stereo version pushes it up to a close "9" for me. Even without any extra songs which would have been great! Anyone know if there were any extra tracks recorded during these recording sessions?

Christmas present number 2. Quite an interesting album with great surround content. I gave it a 9. My only nit is the first 90 seconds or so of "I Can't Quit Her." There is little coming from the surrounds during this initial segment making the track seem like an upmix or straight stereo. There is definitely discreet content in the surrounds, but at too low a level. I used the fader to increase the surround levels during the first 90 seconds and the sound stage was much more pleasing; but then I had to adjust it back to neutral after that first 90 seconds as the surround content became fuller. Try it, it's interesting.

Yeah, I remember there being at least one part of the album where it didn't seem much was going on in the rears.

Christmas present number 2. Quite an interesting album with great surround content. I gave it a 9. My only nit is the first 90 seconds or so of "I Can't Quit Her." There is little coming from the surrounds during this initial segment making the track seem like an upmix or straight stereo. There is definitely discreet content in the surrounds, but at too low a level. I used the fader to increase the surround levels during the first 90 seconds and the sound stage was much more pleasing; but then I had to adjust it back to neutral after that first 90 seconds as the surround content became fuller. Try it, it's interesting.

You made me check it out... I don't think it's that bad - it sounds fine to me.

Here's the waveform of the track (I Can't Quit Her):
Capture.jpg

FYI - DR for the surround comes in at DR14 which is pretty good.(y)

foobar2000 1.3.1 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2014-12-31 09:23:51

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Child Is Father To The Man / Blood, Sweat & Tears
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR12 -6.86 dB -26.97 dB 1:34 01-Overture
DR15 -2.72 dB -23.28 dB 5:51 02-I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know
DR14 -2.58 dB -21.47 dB 4:16 03-Morning Glory
DR13 -3.04 dB -20.81 dB 3:16 04-My Days Are Numbered
DR13 -2.76 dB -21.18 dB 2:40 05-Without Her
DR14 -2.66 dB -22.34 dB 4:31 06-Just One Smile
DR14 -2.86 dB -21.39 dB 3:38 07-I Can't Quit Her
DR14 -2.45 dB -22.79 dB 3:23 08-Meagan's Gypsy Eyes
DR15 -2.80 dB -22.14 dB 8:02 09-Somethin' Goin' On
DR15 -2.47 dB -22.27 dB 3:03 10-House in the Country
DR13 -3.64 dB -23.30 dB 4:16 11-The Modern Adventures of Plato, Diogenes and Freud
DR13 -2.97 dB -21.22 dB 4:57 12-So Much Love/Underture

Number of tracks: 12
Official DR value: DR14

Samplerate: 2822400 Hz / PCM Samplerate: 88200 Hz
Channels: 6
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 16934 kbps
Codec: DST64
================================================================================

Interestingly they've inadvertently swapped the Artist & Album tags... :mad:@:

Back