HiRez Poll Blood Sweat & Tears - CHILD IS FATHER TO THE MAN [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Blood Sweat and Tears - CHILD IS FATHER TO THE MAN

• 6 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters
"The second wave of BS&T fans who discovered the group after Al Kooper left will probably only recognize the 2 songs from this first album that were eventually included on the later Columbia Records release “Blood Sweat & Tears Greatest Hits”. For those DC-T/BS&T fans, this album will be a new listen, and a different one at that."

Well I definitely fall into the second wave as I was not familiar with Al Kooper. Though I am 60 years old B,S & T to me was always David Clayton Thomas as lead vocal so I was disappointed the first couple of times I listened to this disc. I got this with Super Sessions a couple of weeks ago and actually preferred that disc after the first couple of listens to this one.

I listened to "Child" for the fifth time today and sat in the sweet spot. Its taken awhile but I REALLY do like this SACD. It took several listens to warm up to the tunes but they are excellent. I think my DC-T expectation was preventing me from an objective listen. It is really quite good and the surround mix is excellent. I Love You More Than You Will Ever Know is awesome. Listening to the entire SACD, at times I think I hear Boz Scaggs and on other cuts Billy Joel.

If you are on the fence about this one because you are not familiar with the songs it is excellent and grows on you. I give it a 9 after several listens. David Clayton who?

Personally, I never liked David C.T. I always wondered what Blood Sweat & Tears would have sounded like with Terry Kath on lead vocals? The next AP SACD to be released is already out-of-stock on Amazon. I was going to purchase it yesterday but waited a day too long. This is okay because I really don't like it, with the exception of "Sometimes In Winter", which could have very well been included on CIFTTM. I am sorry I hesitated on the Guess Who because, it too, is out of stock until middle of February. :(

"The second wave of BS&T fans who discovered the group after Al Kooper left will probably only recognize the 2 songs from this first album that were eventually included on the later Columbia Records release “Blood Sweat & Tears Greatest Hits”. For those DC-T/BS&T fans, this album will be a new listen, and a different one at that."

Well I definitely fall into the second wave as I was not familiar with Al Kooper. Though I am 60 years old B,S & T to me was always David Clayton Thomas as lead vocal so I was disappointed the first couple of times I listened to this disc. I got this with Super Sessions a couple of weeks ago and actually preferred that disc after the first couple of listens to this one.

I listened to "Child" for the fifth time today and sat in the sweet spot. Its taken awhile but I REALLY do like this SACD. It took several listens to warm up to the tunes but they are excellent. I think my DC-T expectation was preventing me from an objective listen. It is really quite good and the surround mix is excellent. I Love You More Than You Will Ever Know is awesome. Listening to the entire SACD, at times I think I hear Boz Scaggs and on other cuts Billy Joel.

If you are on the fence about this one because you are not familiar with the songs it is excellent and grows on you. I give it a 9 after several listens. David Clayton who?

When you look at the Al Kooper era and the David Clayton Thomas led band...it's too different styles...I personally like the Thomas lead self titled album much more than the Kooper version of the band...just a matter of style...this multi channel disc is at least a 9...maybe a 10...but I have had it for a month and only played it twice...it will continue to gather dust on my shelf...just because of the style and content...I'd much rather listen to my BS&T stereo SACD than this one even though the sound quality isn't as good(but it is good for stereo)...wait until the multi channel is released...it should be stellar...

This is a really decent surround mix. Musically it's a question of 'do you like it, or not'. But for my ears the sound is too bright. Played loud (and I love my music loud) it really hurts in my ears. So I think I can't give it more than 7 points.

This is a really decent surround mix. Musically it's a question of 'do you like it, or not'. But for my ears the sound is too bright. Played loud (and I love my music loud) it really hurts in my ears. So I think I can't give it more than 7 points.

I wouldn't consider the 5.1 mix from the SACD fatiguing in the least. Hmm, "too bright" is not the impression I get.

Originally I was going to give it 9 but changed my mind considering the mix it will get a ten.

I'm pleased with the mix in 5.1, I find it very bold lots of surround panning reminiscent of a good quad demo disc from the 70's!

Al Kooper has joined the ranks of the top surround mixers with this disc.

Took me a while to warm up to the music, I recommend multiple listens to this sacd.Favourite track Meagan's eyes.Favourite 5.1 demo, the intro.

Music: 8
Mix: 10
Sonics: 9

Loved this album. Also one of my favorite album covers ever (very strange yet funny). Great entry by AF! I prefer Al Kooper as a 5.1 mixer to many of the established pros.

Some of the stuff Kooper did with this mix is sublime. Dare I say I prefer his work to SW. I hope Al does more surround mixes!

Wasn't it two, this one and Supersessions? Both are excellent.

Agree, and all I'm trying to indicate, is :

It would be nice to have another QUAD MIXER/PRODUCER/MUSICIAN with obvious TALENT, releasing more of his or others works in surround in either Quad or 5.1.

I for one would appreciate more of this unique talent AL KOOPER has demonstrated.

Agree, and all I'm trying to indicate, is :

It would be nice to have another QUAD MIXER/PRODUCER/MUSICIAN with obvious TALENT, releasing more of his or others works in surround in either Quad or 5.1.

I for one would appreciate more of this unique talent AL KOOPER has demonstrated.

I'm not bothered by that. The more the merrier. Who wouldn't like more titles released in surround? In this way, we could get a feel of how good Mr Kooper really is compared to other surround mixers with more than just a couple of his own works. That's all I'm saying...not trying to start an argument. :)

Not bothered at all. Everyone has a right to their opinion. I just find that after listening to one surround mix from a guy who's only had two commercial releases in 5.1 kind of odd to call him better than someone else on a whole. I agree that it's a great mix and I play it very often. ;)

Who called him better? Not me. I said 'I prefer'.

Obviously SW is the most prolific 5.1 engineer of all time! I like Steven very much and appreciate his work. I just loved the panning Al did, makes it really fun.

Music: 8
Mix: 10
Sonics: 9

Loved this album. Also one of my favorite album covers ever (very strange yet funny). Great entry by AF! I prefer Al Kooper as a 5.1 mixer to many of the established pros.

Well, this being among Al's best and most popular work--and he knowing it quite well, I'm sure--would explain why everyone's enjoying CHILD and SESSION so much. I wouldn't go so far as to claim he's better at mixing than anyone else, but there's no denying the fine job done on these.

It would be cool if he were allowed to go back to a few others in his catalog--I STAND ALONE, for instance, would make for a fun quad/5.1 title. Hard to say if that's even possible, but you never know.

ED :)

Back