Steven Wilson interview from a year ago

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterzach

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Not sure if this was posted here but just came across this really good interview with Steven Wilson.

http://www.musicplayers.com/features/bands_general/2013/0313_StevenWilson.php

Lots of good stuff in this interview but one thing I really enjoyed out of this interview was Steven's answer to how he does his vocal arranging and where that interest came from, people like Brian Wilson,Todd Rundgren,CSN are some artists that Steven names.
I love when artists do vocal layering and Steven is definitely good at it as well.
For me besides ones Steven mentions band whose vocal layering I have enjoyed the most is Queen/Freddie Mercury. Enya's no slouch either in vocal layering technique.

peter

That is possibly the most in-depth SW interview that I've ever read. Covers a lot of ground. For me the highlight was this part:

"I think you have to make the record based on the fact that the people that really love surround sound are going to have invested in a good system and they're going to invest their time in listening to it properly.

"I can't really compensate for all those people that have just got some dodgy 5.1 cinema in a box that they bought from Walmart. I'm making the surround mix at the highest possible level that I can because I think that's the way you should always approach art, anyway.
"

Back