HiRez Poll New York Voices - LET IT SNOW [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of the New York Voices - LET IT SNOW

• 7 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters
Let It Snow is the first 5.1 Multichannel SACD release from Elliot Scheiner's E-Train Records and Audio Fidelity's 5 Cent Records partnership - hence the new 500 series catalog number. The SACD was made by Sony DADC in Austria and is marketed and distributed by Audio Fidelity.

The album was originally released last year as a Stereo CD and received many kudos from buyers on Amazon.Com for it's Big Band, Swing and Jazzy approach to Christmas music. (See http://www.amazon.com/Let-Snow-New-York-Voices/dp/B00F6Y3BOC)

On the SACD, there is an added track not on the CD edition (# 12 - Coventry Carol) and new 5.1 SACD Multichannel tracks mixed and mastered for 5.1 Surround Sound by Elliot Scheiner. The mastering of the SACD Stereo & CD Stereo tracks was done by Darcy Proper, a 4-time Grammy winner for her mastering and recording engineering work over the years on many a SACD, DVD-A and CD release.

The songs are performed by the New York Voices in several styles including a-cappella (with voices in all 4 of the primary channels), a septet (voices in all channels + some instrumentation), a Big Band (voices up front, horns and musical accents in the surround channels) and a Rhythm Section plus 31 Piece Orchestra (voices up front, strings and musical accents in the surround channels).

As you can guess this is a very immersive Surround Sound mix that features plenty of what Elliot Scheiner likes to call "ear candy" in the Surround Channels throughout the album. Ambient Multichannel fans will want to avoid this one. Immersive Surround fans will enjoy the lively and room-filling 5.1 mixes. It's certainly the most immersive approach to a Multichannel Christmas album I've heard to date.

Very enjoyable and a good holiday gift for the Surround Sound fan. Recommended. I give it a "9".

Reactions: GOS
So, I received my copy today and have it playing now. As mentioned in first review, this is very nice and immersive. Just outstanding. I had not heard of this outfit, and just took a flyer on it since my wife loves good Christmas music.

Regardless of all that - the audio quality, is quite excellent, not shrill whatsoever. Nice bass, nice mids and good highs (not too high). Crystal clear with lots of action in all 5.1 speakers.

I would rate it a 10.

So, I received my copy today and have it playing now. As mentioned in first review, this is very nice and immersive. Just outstanding. I had not heard of this outfit, and just took a flyer on it since my wife loves good Christmas music.

Regardless of all that - the audio quality, is quite excellent, not shrill whatsoever. Nice bass, nice mids and good highs (not too high). Crystal clear with lots of action in all 5.1 speakers.

I would rate it a 10.

If it's enough bass for you my man then nobody should worry...maybe not as much bass as you would want.... but you did say "nice bass"......so for 99% of the population that should work..LOL.

If it's enough bass for you my man then nobody should worry...maybe not as much bass as you would want.... but you did say "nice bass"......so for 99% of the population that should work..LOL.

Yes, exactly. It really does sound good. Much of the bass in this disc is likely from an upright string bass (not drums!). So, you know the sound...it comes across very clear and has nice presence. This is a very good Christmas disc.

My only suggestion is that folks should preview the tracks before purchase. I wanted to slit my wrists by the end of the album. BUT, that is entirely due to my taste in music. In the abstract, this is a really nice sounding disc with a solid, ES mix. I look forward to seeing where this series goes.

My only suggestion is that folks should preview the tracks before purchase. I wanted to slit my wrists by the end of the album. BUT, that is entirely due to my taste in music. In the abstract, this is a really nice sounding disc with a solid, ES mix. I look forward to seeing where this series goes.

LOL - yeah, well, it's certainly not a jam fest. I think it's good "background" music. If you know what I mean. A little "syrupy".....(spelling?)

So, I've listened to this 2 more times. I think I can appreciate what stormchaser said. Here's my take. It reminds me of Lawrence Welk in 5.1. Seriously.
I still stand by my 10 for quality of surround...eh...but I think I'd give the artist a 7.

But, that's just my take. Hell, I used to watch Lawrence Welk all the damn time with my grandparents.

Very varied, most of the tracks are quite good fun.

It took a few listens for it to grow on me.

You either like the music or you don't, but you're in for a treat if you do. The sound is pleasant and easy to listen to. The mix is great.

Last edited:
So, I've listened to this 2 more times. I think I can appreciate what stormchaser said. Here's my take. It reminds me of Lawrence Welk in 5.1. Seriously.
I still stand by my 10 for quality of surround...eh...but I think I'd give the artist a 7.

But, that's just my take. Hell, I used to watch Lawrence Welk all the damn time with my grandparents.
Rookie poster! lmao

Somehow I'd always thought of Manhattan Transfer as the square version of Lambert, Hendricks, & Ross, and New York Voices as the even more whitebread version of Manhattan Transfer. (I know, I know: they're well regarded, and at least one of them also has a successful solo career. So I'm a snob.) But I picked up Let It Snow a couple of years ago because it was cheap--and because it was Elliot Scheiner. No regrets. It's a beautiful album: nice repertoire, some swingin' arrangements, and (needless to say) a fabulous surround mix. 9 from me.

For a Christmas album you wan’t get much better fidelity amd mix than this. After a somewhat ’schmaltzy’ start this album in my opinion gets better woth the traditional Christmas carols. For what it is, it nails the fidelity, mix, and vocal talent brief. A 9 in my opinion due to this. Took time out to enjoy this on Christmas day recently- hence the late vote.

Back