Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all! I totally forgot that DVD Audio Extractor did BluRay (or, it's been so long since I used it, it didn't do BluRay last time I did), but it worked GREAT!!!

So easy and effortless. Way simpler than AudioMuxer or MakeMKV. (At least for me).

Fired it right up and away it went. (Of course, it didn't hurt that I've owned AnyDVD and DVD Audio Extractor for so long that I got the lifetime licenses back when they were not that expensive. :) )

I also seem to recall getting DVD Audio Extractor constantly cofused with DVD-A Explorer! :yikes Maybe that was half of my problem at least.

So, THANKS!!!

Obviously you got it worked out, just thought I'd throw my combination out there - it has been able to handle every DVD-A/Blu Ray I've thrown at... I use DVD Audio Extractor too, with DVD Fab Passkey to decrypt. The one thing I wish DAE would do is handle DTS-HD losslessly. Right now to handle discs that only have a DTS-HD stream I have to use DAE to extract the raw dtshd file, then use eac3to to convert to 96/24 5.1 flac. What a pain...

Obviously you got it worked out, just thought I'd throw my combination out there - it has been able to handle every DVD-A/Blu Ray I've thrown at... I use DVD Audio Extractor too, with DVD Fab Passkey to decrypt. The one thing I wish DAE would do is handle DTS-HD losslessly. Right now to handle discs that only have a DTS-HD stream I have to use DAE to extract the raw dtshd file, then use eac3to to convert to 96/24 5.1 flac. What a pain...

Audiomuxer can rip the entire thing to flac in one go I think.

DVD Audio Extractor works fine; very easy but is 24/48 for DTS

Anyone else finding that Title 2 of Relayer (the original mix, 2 channel) only appears as DTS MA ("192 kHz 2ch") in DVD AE after MKV decryption? There doesn't seem to be a way to access the LPCM version....assuming there is one

Last edited:
I am having trouble with burning discs.

I use Verbatim http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-Bl...31_b1_3_p?ie=UTF8&refRID=1751W3PN5D35W72ZGQ7M
with http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H90FKAY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00 drive.

I can rip audio with DVD Audio Extractor or copy full disc with DVDFAB Platinum 9. I have burnt 12 BD R discs thus far and everyone skips or completely stops at some point. I ripped a Joe Bonamassa concert and upon playing the copy it stopped at 86 minutes of a 96 min concert. Immensely annoying and costly. I do not know what is the issue?

I am having trouble with burning discs.

I use Verbatim http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-Bl...31_b1_3_p?ie=UTF8&refRID=1751W3PN5D35W72ZGQ7M
with http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H90FKAY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00 drive.

I can rip audio with DVD Audio Extractor or copy full disc with DVDFAB Platinum 9. I have burnt 12 BD R discs thus far and everyone skips or completely stops at some point. I ripped a Joe Bonamassa concert and upon playing the copy it stopped at 86 minutes of a 96 min concert. Immensely annoying and costly. I do not know what is the issue?

I would not bother with burnt discs and just convert to MKV (with hi-rez audio) & play those....

I would not bother with burnt discs and just convert to MKV (with hi-rez audio) & play those....

I have spent £84 on a pack of 50 and have wrote the titles so I have to use them now. I know OPPO 93 will play the files ok but I need to burn these discs for now. I wish I had just bought another 2TB hard drive and plugged that into Oppo. That would of been much easier but I was naive about the burning process.

So you just use MakeMKV and play via USB attached to Oppo?

I have spent £84 on a pack of 50 and have wrote the titles so I have to use them now. I know OPPO 93 will play the files ok but I need to burn these discs for now. I wish I had just bought another 2TB hard drive and plugged that into Oppo. That would of been much easier but I was naive about the burning process.

So you just use MakeMKV and play via USB attached to Oppo?

Laptop over HDMI...

Laptop over HDMI...

OK; My laptop is full. I have 2 1TB HDD, 6 USB flash drives and I have just ordered a 2TB drive. OPPO is brilliant as I can put everything on drives and play via USB.

I am happy to say after great pains, I have successfully ripped the 5.1 from the XTC Oranges and Lemons Blu-ray and burned it to DVD-A on a Mac. However the resulting disc is 24/48, not the original 24/96. How could this have happened?

I used MakeMKV to Decrypt the disc, then used DVD Audio Extractor to rip to FLAC, then used Cirlinca (through Windows via VMWare Fusion) to create an ISO, then I burned the ISO to disc. At what point could the downconversion have happened?

Cirlinca generally won't let you create a disc image with 5.1 24/96 PCM, it has to be MLP as PCM at that bit-depth/sampling rate would be outside the DVD specification.

Circlinca has settings which can allow you to choose 24/96 for fronts and 24/48 for everything else, or 24/96 for fronts and center with 16/48 for everything else (which is what I normally use) in order to stay within spec. How it displays may vary.

Those settings are discussed on page 68 - http://cirlinca.com/include/SoloUserManual.pdf

Of course it also allows you to downsample all channels to 16/96 or 24/48 from a 24/96 source.

6 * 24/96 = 13.824 Mbps (outside DVD spec)
6 * 16/96 = 9.216 Mbps (good)
2 * 24/96 + 4 * 24/48 = 4.608 Mbps + 4.608 Mbps = 9.216 Mbps (good)
3 * 24/96 + 3 * 16/48 = 6.912 Mbps + 2.304 Mbps = 9.216 Mbps (good)

I don't know Cirlinca, but I would agree with Dobyblue that it's the weak link in your chain. Just like you, I've been using MakeMKV and dvdae for steps 1 and 2 (no step 3 for me since I use my PC for playback). I ended up with exactly the resolutions I wanted (either original or some slight downsampling to save some space on my hard disk, since I'm blessed with ears that don't hear the difference). I think you can safely remove those two from your list of suspects.

I am happy to say after great pains, I have successfully ripped the 5.1 from the XTC Oranges and Lemons Blu-ray and burned it to DVD-A on a Mac. However the resulting disc is 24/48, not the original 24/96. How could this have happened?

I used MakeMKV to Decrypt the disc, then used DVD Audio Extractor to rip to FLAC, then used Cirlinca (through Windows via VMWare Fusion) to create an ISO, then I burned the ISO to disc. At what point could the downconversion have happened?

Thanks for the replies. So is there different software I can use to rip and burn 5.1 in true 24/96? I'm trying to create a DVD-A of the Oranges and Lemons surround mix since they decided not to release on that format this time around.

How can I do MLP instead of PCM?

One way I've been able to create a DVD+R of a DVD-A @ 24/96 5.1 is by creating an image of the original DVD-A disc, which in this case doesn't exist!!
Does your DVD-A player or AVR allow you to stream 5.1 flacs? I have no issues playing 5.1 flacs to my AVR over DNLA.
My Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD also allows me to play 24/96 5.1 flac or PCM directly from a USB thumb drive.

For a true MLP you'd need to extract each channel to a separate file (easy to do with MKV) then use a product like SurCode MLP encoder to make your MLP files. I do not know how flexible the demo of the software is or how much it costs to buy.

EDIT - it looks like they no longer support SurCode MLP but rather just Dolby/DTS, you would need to find a cracked older version of DiscWelder that has SurCode builtin or something similar. (ie - search "SurCode MLP torrent"?)

I am tired of burning DVDs to listen to QUAD and 5.1 rips etc...

What's the best file format to rip a 4.0 or 5.1 DTS DVD to and what software is the best to use? I plan on using Plex media server to stream from my PC to my SmartTV so whatever works best with that would be ideal.

Will MakeMKV work on the latest Blu Rays?

Back