Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends. If it's an older Blu-Ray disc (like pre-2012), then yes.
If it's after that, you'll probably need to use a decrypting software (like MakeMKV) to rip the entire disc to your computer, and then you can use that ripped and decrypted copy in DVDAE to make whatever files from it you wish.

Yikes...OK. I just purchased a Pioneer Blu-ray drive (external) for my PC so I can make copies of all my blu-ray audio discs. Been wanting to have all of them in my library since I'm addicted to Foobar... :)

I've found Windows 10 keeps losing my external Blu-Ray writer, saying it doesn't exist :mad:
Yikes...OK. I just purchased a Pioneer Blu-ray drive (external) for my PC so I can make copies of all my blu-ray audio discs. Been wanting to have all of them in my library since I'm addicted to Foobar... :)

GOS, DVD Passkey works with DVD Audio Extractor pretty much seamlessly for decryption. It just runs in the background & detects when it needs to decrypt. It would make the transition a whole lot easier for you, since you'd just do what you already do. :) Makemkv requires multiple steps to ultimately get the files to flac. One warning on blu rays & DVDAE - it doesn't handle 96/24 DTS-MA directly in full resolution. The result is 48/24, much like if you've tried 96/24 DTS with a DVD. I export those to their native streams, then use eac3to to convert to full resolution flac.

GOS, DVD Passkey works with DVD Audio Extractor pretty much seamlessly for decryption. It just runs in the background & detects when it needs to decrypt. It would make the transition a whole lot easier for you, since you'd just do what you already do. :) Makemkv requires multiple steps to ultimately get the files to flac. One warning on blu rays & DVDAE - it doesn't handle 96/24 DTS-MA directly in full resolution. The result is 48/24, much like if you've tried 96/24 DTS with a DVD. I export those to their native streams, then use eac3to to convert to full resolution flac.

OK - I appreciate the comments. I just purchased the drive today, so don't even have it yet...so I've yet to even see how this all works. So, DVD Passkey is a program?

I have to unplug the external drives USB connector then plug it back in, and suddenly Windows 10 finds it or says its loading a driver for it (again). I'm not that impressed with 10 :(
Wonderful...that's what I have...Windows 10. :(

OK - I appreciate the comments. I just purchased the drive today, so don't even have it yet...so I've yet to even see how this all works. So, DVD Passkey is a program?

DVDFab Passkey

It's a software that decrypts Blu-ray's "on-the-fly" (and dvd's too if you choose the option), enabling you to access the content without restriction, and it can work "hand-by-hand" with other audio ripping software (I use Audiomuxer).

You can download the Passkey trial to try it out first. It's a 30 days, no limitation, free trial.

And don't worry about it being complicated or such... it's a breeze to use, really. You install, register.. and that's about all there is to it. :upthumb

Last edited:
DVDFab Passkey

It's a software that decrypts Blu-ray's "on-the-fly" (and dvd's too if you choose the option), enabling you too access the content without restriction, and it can work "hand-by-hand" with other audio ripping software (I use Audiomuxer).

You can download the Passkey trial to try it out first. It's a 30 days, no limitation, free trial.

And don't worry about it being complicated or such... it's a breeze to use, really. You install, register.. and that's about all there is to it. :upthumb

Awesome! This is great. Once I get my new drive, I'll refer back to this thread to see what I need to do.

I have to unplug the external drives USB connector then plug it back in, and suddenly Windows 10 finds it or says its loading a driver for it (again). I'm not that impressed with 10 :(

I have no intentions of installing Windows 10...the last 2 days the window 10 pop ups had become unbearable(actually forcing the installation if I didn't catch it)so today I removed the window 10 popup mechanism from my computer...hehe...Microsoft is worse than the CIA..sneaky bastards they are:nuke

OK, I know Windows 10 is no jewel - but is there a chance that certain external drives will "play better" with Windows 10 than others?

That is probably true, mine is an External LG Blu-Ray Writer, I got it about a year ago, so 6 months before Windows 10 came out. Windows 10 does seem to have limited backwards compatibility with bits of kit, and manufacturers have no incentive to write new drivers for 'old' equipment. So if a device has been released after Windows 10 then it 'ought' to be ok. Some of the issues are down to drivers for the USB to SATA interface on the Blu-Ray.

OK, I know Windows 10 is no jewel - but is there a chance that certain external drives will "play better" with Windows 10 than others?

Awesome! This is great. Once I get my new drive, I'll refer back to this thread to see what I need to do.

LOL! I ordered a Pioneer external blu-ray drive and even though it was shipped Fed Ex - seems to be making every stop at every town on its way here. Yesterday, it was somewhere in Oklahoma. :mad:@:

LOL! I ordered a Pioneer external blu-ray drive and even though it was shipped Fed Ex - seems to be making every stop at every town on its way here. Yesterday, it was somewhere in Oklahoma. :mad:@:

Woo - freaking - Woo! Got my new burner/player today. Popped in Van Morrison Moondance blu-ray audio, opened DVD-AE...it crashed. Soooo - downloaded Passkey and whammo...it works. Well, I mean, it's ripping the audio....we'll see if it all works once I open Foobar.... :)

If all works as I hope...today will be a long day. Lot's to do.... :) :)

Woo - freaking - Woo! Got my new burner/player today. Popped in Van Morrison Moondance blu-ray audio, opened DVD-AE...it crashed. Soooo - downloaded Passkey and whammo...it works. Well, I mean, it's ripping the audio....we'll see if it all works once I open Foobar.... :)

If all works as I hope...today will be a long day. Lot's to do.... :) :)

Good luck Gene. It can sometimes be overwhelming process because all the different software involves, but the end result is more than worth it. :)

197d27b059da12d45a4c79cdae107182.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a comment, or maybe a question I guess. All the talk about difficulties with DTS HD Master.... so here is what I notice and maybe someone more knowledgeable than me on the subject can comment.

Fragile by Yes. I have the blu-ray audio with all the Wilson goodies. If I load the disc into DVD-AE, it shows "titles", which are nothing more than numbers. The titles seem to be all the different mixes or versions of audio. So, you have to click each one to sort of figure out what it is. I surmised "Title 4" was the one I wanted as it had 9 songs and was the only one with 6 channel offering (with 9 songs that is)

Here are the audio choices it shows:
English LPCM (96kHz 2 Ch)
English DTS (96kHz 6 Ch)
English LPCM 96kHz 6 Ch)

It does NOT show DTS HD Master or whatever it's called. I suppose this is where you all say DVD-AE has trouble with DTS HD MA...

My question is - is the LPCM for all practical purposes as good as (audio wise) DTS HD Master? And if so, then what is the problem? :) Someone please chime in. I appreciate it.... I don't want to rip a bunch of stuff only to have someone tell me I'm not getting the optimum audio experience.

My question is - is the LPCM for all practical purposes as good as (audio wise) DTS HD Master? And if so, then what is the problem? :) Someone please chime in. I appreciate it.... I don't want to rip a bunch of stuff only to have someone tell me I'm not getting the optimum audio experience.

LPCM is just as good if not better than DTS-HD MA. LPCM is always my top choice for converting Blu-Ray audio to individual audio files because it is fully uncompressed. DTS-HD MA utilizes a little bit of data compression to help 'pack in' the lossless audio a little more in order to not take up so much bandwidth.
I ESPECIALLY recommend using LPCM as the audio source when using DVD-AE as the ripping program because DVD-AE only recognizes the 'core' DTS stream, which is lossy and not a recommended source for creating FLAC or WAV files, unless of course it is the only option available.
Hope that helps! :)

Gene, as Ryan said, just go with the LPCM when available. One thing though, in DVDAE you can get song information from the freedb database by clicking the Get to download or upload metadata icon, next to the browse folder.

Saves a lot of time guessing which one to take. And especially with these YES and XTC bd-a's, a kind soul already provided all the info on the various mixes. :worthy

Don't know who did this, perhaps Neil Wilkes himself. Anyway the info is very accurate.

Back