Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eh....

So, I was ripping a blu-ray that contained Dolby TRUE HD which claims to be 96/24...only when I look in foobar after ripping, it's only 48/24. Yes, using DVD-Audio Extractor. I thought that program only had troubles with DTS HD Master 96/24? Or possible I've done something wrong....??

Try Audiomuxer and make mkv and see if you get the same results, both are free.

I have them both, but I don't find them straightforward like DVD-AE. Meaning, I did try, but too complicated for me without step by step. [emoji51][emoji15][emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gene, it is not that hard, trust me.

I am doing this by heart, but can write some proper notes later during the week if you want to.

First you make an .mkv from your blu ray using makemkv. You can include all audio streams or just the TrueHd surround if you like. No conversion to flac or whatsoever at this stage. Disable Expert mode if you have that enabled.

In Audiomuxer you choose Extract audio from mkv. Browse to the right mkv file and load with boxes Load with chapters , Convert to Flac, and Rename ticked. Now you will see the TrueHD stream with indication of the number of chapters.

Now you can click Convert and rename to Flac. A new screen will open which let you enter Artist, Album and song titles if you prefer the latter to enter at this stage (personally I use mp3 tag for this if the dvdae method is not working). Click OK again and the extraction and conversion is working.

As said, this is a quick write up, I may miss some step.

Fear not Sir Gos but help us is on the way.

Like you, I'm a relative newbie at this--I still can't get Foobar to work properly but there are other ways.

In the case of Octopus, I have also experienced your frustrations. I was finally able to get it to rip properly by using MakeMKV to produce an MKV file (MakeMKV has a built-in decrypter so you have to temporarily disable any active decrypter, eg. DVDFAB Passkey for it to work properly). Within MakeMKV, you should make sure that you check only the relevant DTSMA streams. The correct one will have the appopriate number of chapters in its description of the DTSMA stream.

Then use Audiomuxer to extract the file and export it to flac (Audiomuxer -- Tools --" Extract Audio from MKV/MKA file". Check the "Export to Flac" and "Load in AudioMuxer and Split into Chapters boxes', set the Flac level if you wish (5 is probably the best), then click "Extract". Save the file to whatever directory you wish (the default name is output.flac) using the windows explorer window that will pop up if you haven't done this before. You will then be asked to tag the files. Once you have done this, press tag and audiomuxer will do its thing and eventually produce 9 output files in the case of Octopus (it will produce 10 if you do it any other way). You will then have to rename the files using a tagger (e.g. Mp3tag, I use Musichi).

To be clear, there is almost certainly nothing wrong with your usual method rather there is a problem with the DTSMA stream in Octopus. What seems to be happening is that a very brief lossy file exists in the DTSMA stream just before "Knots". The program is expecting a lossless file (as in DTSMA) and so screws up. What happens in MakeMKV is that very brief files (I think it is under 20 seconds) are ignored. Therefore it seems that the lossy (i.e. problem file) is bypassed and so does not make it into AudioMuxer for the conversion to flac and so AudioMuxer works properly.

Incidentally, you can use the MakeMKV/AudioMuxer combination for just about anything and they are both basically free (you get a 30 day trial for MakeMKV). Notice that I said 'just about' anything. Just now while ripping the very last of my Rock/Soundtrack discs, I found one that would not work using any method. It would rip the 24-192 2-channel layer but not the 24-192 surround layer. The blu-ray in question is Citizen Kane; The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann. It is produced by High Definition Tape Transfers (mentioned several times on this site). I will contact the company about this and I suspect they will send me or allow me access to the flac files that they also sell besides the physical disc; they are very nice people.

By the way, I find that the easiest way to rip these discs is to use DVDAE along with DVDFAB's Passkey (to decrypt the discs) because they are easier to tag using the metadata download feature of DVDAE. You can also use the "Extract from blu-ray" option under tools -- "extract audio from blu-ray" in audiomuxer if your disc is already decrypted with Passkey (or presumably something similar). There are many ways to skin a disc, particularly if you have all 4 programs (DVDAE, DVDFAB Passkey, AudioMuxer and MakeMKV.

Hope this helps.

Jim (aka J.R.)

BUMP! :)

Ahem...people like me just want these damn programs to work...don't give me any curveballs...just work. So. I demuxed files using DVD-AE. Loaded those files (.dts) into Audiomuxer...simple so far. But, with song number 3, I get an error. All other songs seem to work up to this point...

Audiomuxer error shot.jpg

Ahem...people like me just want these damn programs to work...don't give me any curveballs...just work. So. I demuxed files using DVD-AE. Loaded those files (.dts) into Audiomuxer...simple so far. But, with song number 3, I get an error. All other songs seem to work up to this point...

View attachment 27539

Oh! I just noticed song 3 only says DTS, while all the other .dts files say DTS-MA! What the hell...is song 3 not in DTS-MA 96/24?? Wow...how the heck does that happen? This is Temple of the Dog by the way I'm trying to convert to Flac.

Since I'm such a patient person :yikes I'm now trying the Dolby True HD stream. I assume I'll get the same error on song 3....it must have issues....

Since I'm such a patient person :yikes I'm now trying the Dolby True HD stream. I assume I'll get the same error on song 3....it must have issues....

You have the basic workflow down. Keep asking questions here if you run into problems.

Try checking the boxes to only the stream you want in MakeMKV if your still having problems.

http://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/decrypters-bd-hd-dvd

Try one of these decrypters like the trial version of dvd fab for example if you continue to have problems. Get the entire movie on PC decrypted first, then use Audiomuxer.

Oh! I just noticed song 3 only says DTS, while all the other .dts files say DTS-MA! What the hell...is song 3 not in DTS-MA 96/24?? Wow...how the heck does that happen? This is Temple of the Dog by the way I'm trying to convert to Flac.

Well, so song number 3 had an issue in the DTS HD MASTER stream, but I was able to rip song 3 with Dolby True HD. Go figure. There truly must be issue with the DTS HD Master on song 3.....

So - long story short...I got it all ripped and now have Dolby True HD 5.1 96/24 playing through Foobar. Cool. I've only been working on this since 7PM Central. (3.5 hours) !!!

You have the basic workflow down. Keep asking questions here if you run into problems.

Try checking the boxes to only the stream you want in MakeMKV if your still having problems.

http://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/decrypters-bd-hd-dvd

Try one of these decrypters like the trial version of dvd fab for example if you continue to have problems. Get the entire movie on PC decrypted first, then use Audiomuxer.

Thanks man.....I wish I was more educated on all this. I find it hard, but I have a good memory and if I can just get all the steps figured out. I'll be good to go.

Glad you got it sorted out Gene.

There are definitely a few discs that have defective streams. I had a blu-ray soundtrack from HDTT records that would not rip beyond the first track no matter what I tried. I have had others where using a different method managed to solve the problem.

What I am getting at is that sometimes it is the record company that screws up and then all you can do is try another method. If that doesn't work then there is nothing you can do. These things do happen.

I understand your frustration and admire your patience. You are unafraid to ask questions if you are having problems and in doing so you do us all a great service. Often as a result others chime in with the solution and that benefits everyone.

Jim

Thanks man.....I wish I was more educated on all this. I find it hard, but I have a good memory and if I can just get all the steps figured out. I'll be good to go.

Once you master the steps, it is smooth sailing. Well worth the effort in the end. You should be able to enter the trueHD stream in Audiomuxer under tools/ audio conversion and output flac. Just click on flac button. Change directory at the bottom if needed, otherwise it will go into same directory.

OK - this is driving me absolutely crazy. I truly don't understand this. It's now happened with the last 2 blu-ray audio discs that I'm trying to rip the best resolution to Flac (ultimately)

Process -

DVD-AE - I'm using this program to create .dts files. So, I'm told, this is the only way in DVD-AE to access the DTS-MA layer.
Audiomuxer - I load the .dts files into this and once it pulls them all in, I get a window (see below)

DTS.JPG

As you can see. Most of the songs/files say "DTS-MA +core"
Two at the bottom just say "DTS-MA"

When I select them all and try to convert to FLAC, they will all successfully convert, except the ones that don't say "core". Why do I keep running into discs that have 2 different formats? Why doesn't audiomuxer recognize DTS-MA? That's what it tells me....

Surely someone here has run into similar problems??

Thanks y'all!
:mad:@:

What DTS Decoder plug-in are you using in Audiomuxer?

I suspect the one you are using does not decode DTS-MA only DTS Core. EDIT: See below - all the tracks are DTS-MA with core but DVDAE does not demux correctly for this release)

(I'm pretty sure the latest Audiomuxer decodes DTS-MA. Are you using that?)

What DTS Decoder plug-in are you using in Audiomuxer?

I suspect the one you are using does not decode DTS-MA only DTS Core.

(I'm pretty sure the latest Audiomuxer decodes DTS-MA. Are you using that?)

Edit: Maybe Audimuxer needs a .dtshd file extension if it doesn't contain 'DTS core'?

Audiomuxer looks for and updates the version every time I open it. So, I would suppose I have the newest version. (0.9.6.1) is what it says.
How do I get an .dtshd file extension? DVD-AE applies a .dts only.
Also, how would I know what plug in is being used? As far as I know, Audiomuxer isn't like Foobar, where you can continually look for new plug-ins. Right? :confused:

Just tried to rip a third blu-ray. Same thing happened. Track 1 was DTS-MA +core and tracks 2-5 were just DTS-MA. It successfully converted track 1, but gave me errors for 2-5.

Audiomuxer looks for and updates the version every time I open it. So, I would suppose I have the newest version. (0.9.6.1) is what it says.
How do I get an .dtshd file extension? DVD-AE applies a .dts only.
Also, how would I know what plug in is being used? As far as I know, Audiomuxer isn't like Foobar, where you can continually look for new plug-ins. Right? :confused:

Just tried to rip a third blu-ray. Same thing happened. Track 1 was DTS-MA +core and tracks 2-5 were just DTS-MA. It successfully converted track 1, but gave me errors for 2-5.

I just tried DVDAE on that disc, demuxing to .dts files. Three tracks fail to play or be recognized correctly in Foobar. Looks like there is an issue with those tracks.

I used MakeMkV to create an MKV file with the DTS-HD audio track included. Then AudioMuxer to convert the MVV into FLACs (split into tracks). Now ALL files correctly play in Foobar at 48/24 (which is the original BDA format).

Looks like DVDAE can't handle the DTS encoding issue on this one...

EDIT: I noticed there was an update to DVDAE so I downloaded the latest version but same issue.

I just tried DVDAE on that disc, demuxing to .dts files. Three tracks fail to play or be recognized correctly in Foobar. Looks like there is an issue with those tracks.

I used MakeMkV to create an MKV file with the DTS-HD audio track included. Then AudioMuxer to convert the MVV into FLACs (split into tracks). Now ALL files correctly play in Foobar at 48/24 (which is the original BDA format).

Looks like DVDAE can't handle the DTS encoding issue on this one...

EDIT: I noticed there was an update to DVDAE so I downloaded the latest version but same issue.

Garry - I have MakeMkV, when I activate the program, all it does is show my blu-ray player and acknowledge that my disc is in it. What is the next step to create the MKV file??

Gene:

My comments apply to the Tom Petty “Hypnotic Eye” blu-ray but would probably apply to most other discs.

I ripped this one some time ago and I remember that it was a bit weird. I just tried to re-rip it and eventually got it to work by doing the following:

I believe that DVD-AE cannot extract anything beyond the DTS core and so that is likely your problem. Therefore, you must use a different method. I used a MakeMKV/Audiomuxer combination.

1. Activate MakeMKV making sure that there is no decryption program active as MakeMKV has its own decrypter.

Click on blu-ray icon. The disc will be parsed and you will see 4 titles.

Double-click the first one (2.9 GB) and check “DTS-HD MA Surround 5.1”. Uncheck DTS Surround 5.1 if necessary.
Click MakeMKV icon in upper right-hand corner. The files will be ripped to whatever drive you have specified.

2. Activate Audiomuxer and select Tools, ExtractMKV/MKA.

Check “Load in AudioMuxer and Split into Chapters”, “Export to Flac” boxes
Optionally “Change Flac Level” to “5”. This is what dbPoweramp recommends and so I use this to be consistent.

Click “Select MKV File” and find it on your computer by clicking “This PC”

Open the file and highlight DTS-Master Audio.

Click “Extract”, “Save”
Fill in the tagging information, click “Tag”, “Save”

Whatever you have called your output file (default is output.flac) can now be manipulated. You can double-check by right-clicking the file and looking at the audio properties.

Unfortunately, this only gives you 11 of the 12 tracks. To get the final track (incredibly called “Playing Dumb”) you will have to repeat the process by going back into MakeMKV and clicking the fourth title (259.7 MB). Make sure that no other titles are checked. Also, you should make sure that your output file produced by Audiomuxer cannot be overwritten. Remember that you will have to change the track number for “Playing Dumb” to 12 and add it to the other 11 tracks.

There are other ways of doing this but as far as I can tell this combination will work for everything. The main disadvantage is that it is a bit more awkward to do the tagging that it is for DVD-AE.

Hope this helps. I don’t understand why “Hypnotic Eye” is split this way but there it is.

Jim

Gene:

My comments apply to the Tom Petty “Hypnotic Eye” blu-ray but would probably apply to most other discs.

I ripped this one some time ago and I remember that it was a bit weird. I just tried to re-rip it and eventually got it to work by doing the following:

I believe that DVD-AE cannot extract anything beyond the DTS core and so that is likely your problem. Therefore, you must use a different method. I used a MakeMKV/Audiomuxer combination.

1. Activate MakeMKV making sure that there is no decryption program active as MakeMKV has its own decrypter.

Click on blu-ray icon. The disc will be parsed and you will see 4 titles.

Double-click the first one (2.9 GB) and check “DTS-HD MA Surround 5.1”. Uncheck DTS Surround 5.1 if necessary.
Click MakeMKV icon in upper right-hand corner. The files will be ripped to whatever drive you have specified.

2. Activate Audiomuxer and select Tools, ExtractMKV/MKA.

Check “Load in AudioMuxer and Split into Chapters”, “Export to Flac” boxes
Optionally “Change Flac Level” to “5”. This is what dbPoweramp recommends and so I use this to be consistent.

Click “Select MKV File” and find it on your computer by clicking “This PC”

Open the file and highlight DTS-Master Audio.

Click “Extract”, “Save”
Fill in the tagging information, click “Tag”, “Save”

Whatever you have called your output file (default is output.flac) can now be manipulated. You can double-check by right-clicking the file and looking at the audio properties.

Unfortunately, this only gives you 11 of the 12 tracks. To get the final track (incredibly called “Playing Dumb”) you will have to repeat the process by going back into MakeMKV and clicking the fourth title (259.7 MB). Make sure that no other titles are checked. Also, you should make sure that your output file produced by Audiomuxer cannot be overwritten. Remember that you will have to change the track number for “Playing Dumb” to 12 and add it to the other 11 tracks.

There are other ways of doing this but as far as I can tell this combination will work for everything. The main disadvantage is that it is a bit more awkward to do the tagging that it is for DVD-AE.

Hope this helps. I don’t understand why “Hypnotic Eye” is split this way but there it is.

Jim

I really appreciate you taking the time to spell this out. I will try these steps and see what happens.

Back