HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - THE ENDLESS RIVER [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - THE ENDLESS RIVER

• Total voters
I give it a 9. Excellent package. Beautiful warm sound (especially the LPCM track). However, some of the transitions sound just a little too much like filler to me. Trimmed down, it would have made a perfect 40+ minute "lp". The surround is very good, but as other reviewers have said, it could have been more adventurous. Nice to have the 1993 rehearsal videos as a bonus. Hell, it's just great to have this at all. Who would have thought only a few months ago?

We BITCH and we moan...really...is that the best you could do for PF's LAST CD AND SONG???
I agree 100%

While that is not the lyric I also agree. It may be perfect for a Bieber or Selena Gomez tune, it is the worst two lines of lyric of any Pink Floyd song.
I don't have any issues with the rest of the lyrics though.

We bitch and we fight
Diss each other on sight
But this thing we do

The mix is a bit too unadventurous for me also with many back speaker opportunities left to pass, preferred TDB; music wise....instantly recognizable Floyd with some harkening back to past riffs which is fine for the concept of what this is about. I will have to listen several more times before voting....some of the songs I think are quite good, such as Allons-Y also. Packaging is fantastic. John

Wow, most comments are pretty favourable. Seems I'm in the minority!

I knew what it was going in but man, I thought it’d be more than some well-polished demos. 15 minutes in, I was bored. After it’d finished, I had to crank up the Tears for Fears Songs From the Big Chair BD to get the stink off (Stink Floyd – ha! Me funny).

Anyway, If they’d released TDB as a stand-alone BD with TER as a second disc of extras, that would have been better than trying to pass off 20 year old studio noodling as a new album. What a way to go out. Bet Rog’s glad he dodged this bullet.

Shame the surround mix isn’t anywhere near as good as it could have been either. On the early track with all of the percussion (Skins?), this should be coming from all channels but it’s mostly coming from the fronts – what a waste of an opportunity. Hope they don’t make this mistake when The Wall and Animals are eventually surroundified.

All in all, I give it 4 out of 10 bricks in the wall.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not all bent out of shape about it. The fidelity is great, so at least it sounds as good as it could, and there’s always the back catalogue to return to if I’m in the mood for some decent Floyd.

I listened to David Gilmour interviewed on Planet Rock last night about the album, and I got the impression that it was very much a release to showcase Rick Wright's contribution as well as something than fans had been asking for. He did say that there was a lot of debate about whether to augment the basic tracks or not, and it was decided to add where appropriate, some stuff was also only recorded in stereo on DAT, and he waxed lyrical about the technology able to extract and isolate sections, I'm assuming picking out individual instruments.

So I finally got round to listening to it today in 5.1. I really like it. It is atmospheric and highlights how Rick Wright underpinned the Floyd sound, it wouldn't sound the same without him. The guitar work is great. I heard hints of Wish You Were Here and some of the drums reminded me of bits of Electric Moo. The sound clarity is good, and I found the surround mix to my taste. I actually like the fact that there is only one vocal track. Ill confess I'm a big Floyd fan and have bought every release on the day it was released since Wish You Were Here, which along with Meddle are my favourites. So I'm probably a bit biased, but I think I'll listen to it a lot, way better than The Final Cut, but maybe not as often as Animals. I gave it an 8.

Listening to this a proper volume and no doubt in my mind this is a grower of an album which benefits from the complete listen.

You can not cherry pick parts.

It moves swells grows and falls and is a late 60's Pink Floyd album with 21st century production.

It has a lot of the hall marks of Youth on it but in a very sympathetic way.

Andy Jacksons surround and the stereo mix is pretty good as well, as the source material must have been culled from a lot of sub part recordings

Last edited:
I'm glad they released this. Of course we were prepared what it would be, instrumental (except one track) and based on 1993 sessions. To me it sounds like the soundtrack to a (non existing) film.

Someone suggested to mix The Endless River tracks with Division Bell tracks. That can be done because the material is not radically different, music wise. The surround mix could have been more aggressive, but on the plus, Andy Jackson is beginning to use the center channel a little.

People who buy just the CD really miss out, not only because of the surround mix, but also for the studio sessions presented as archive videos. Some of them are more interesting than certain album tracks.

In conclusion, I like it enough to give an 8 or 9.

BTW why does the title of this thread mention DVD-A, unless I missed something important the DVD is DVD-V with stereo PCM, Dolby and DTS 5.1 .

BTW why does the title of this thread mention DVD-A, unless I missed something important the DVD is DVD-V with stereo PCM, Dolby and DTS 5.1 .

Age. It's a terrible thing! :yikes

Thanks! :)

I've run out of my quota of 10s for the year, so this will have to be a '9'.

Main reason is the lack of vocals and lyrics, and the fact that there are just better surround mixes released this year that are more deserving of a '10'.
That said, fidelity is quite remarkable, and I enjoy a lot of the music. I can imagine I will come to love this album even more the more I hear it, as I already have a much more favorable opinion on the second full listen.

Don't be put off from getting this release simply due to the lack of vocals and lyrics. It really is quite a very good album, even though it doesn't quite measure up to the rest of their catalogue (particularly "Dark Side", "Wish You Were Here", "The Wall", "Division Bell", etc)
Plus since this is a new release in high-res surround that you don't have to pay with an arm and a leg for it, it's imperative that it be bought to help sales increase, giving us even more of a chance for more surround releases.

One final note, I'm really enjoying some of the extra videos quite a lot. :)

You might have to up your quota of 10's in 2015, RT :D

Marks off for the mix- nowhere near TDB. Don't know how much I'll play this after it goes back into the sleeve (I've played it daily since getting it). Thanks.

The album (if truly their last under the PF moniker) plays like an outro or coda to this great band. This is the music that rolls over the credits on a great career. I hear bits of influence from many of their eras and am happy to take it for what it is – an experiment. The band’s history is full of them: Electric Moo, Household Objects, Meddle ("a soundtrack to a non-existent movie", a critic once said, but he didn’t like it).

Is it their best? No - but who could really think it would be? Still, I don’t get those saying the album is just uncompleted snippets. Are short musical sections or reoccurring musical themes new to a Floyd album? No they are not.

Sonically, this sounds superb; however, I do feel that the 5.1 mix is not as adventurous as it could be.
My vote is solid 8 with the only points being taken away for the less adventurous mix and a bit short in the modern era’s average running time.

After only a few listens, so far I'm quite disappointed in the album itself. It definitely feels like an album of throwaway B-sides that probably would've never seen the light of day if it hadn't been for Rick's sad passing. He deserved a better tribute album than the one he got.
I also have to agree with the poster who described the opening lyrics to "Louder Than Words" as "worst two lines of lyric of any Pink Floyd song." I imagine most of the roadies from "Dark Side" could've come up with something better on the spot. ;)

The surround mix is decent, but not as good as "The Division Bell" or David Gilmour's "On an Island."

After only a few listens, so far I'm quite disappointed in the album itself. It definitely feels like an album of throwaway B-sides that probably would've never seen the light of day if it hadn't been for Rick's sad passing. He deserved a better tribute album than the one he got.
I also have to agree with the poster who described the opening lyrics to "Louder Than Words" as "worst two lines of lyric of any Pink Floyd song." I imagine most of the roadies from "Dark Side" could've come up with something better on the spot. ;)

The surround mix is decent, but not as good as "The Division Bell" or David Gilmour's "On an Island."

Although I do like Endless River, I really feel the best thing they could have done would have been to integrate the various instrumental tracks in between those tracks already on The Division Bell and put together a composite or expanded version. You can easily tell all the music came from the same sessions, and I think the resulting double album would have been better than either one was alone.

I really did not like the music on this one at all, and I listened to it 3 times, and it did not grow on me. I actually liked it less each time I heard it. I votes 5. I sold it.

I really did not like the music on this one at all, and I listened to it 3 times, and it did not grow on me. I actually liked it less each time I heard it. I votes 5. I sold it.

Interesting...cause...I LOVE this album..it is relaxing and it features Rick's keyboards more than any other PF release...it is the perfect "chill out" album..and the mix....ahh Andy Jackson is freakin' genius!!!!..
well, everything except for the LAST "song"...but nobody's perfect, eh? (and I'm not Canadian)

I'm about as big a Floyd fan as you'll find, 'cept. for Good Sir RonToon, so judge my comments as such:

Although I'm just a kid in QQ years, I did see The Wall tour in 1980 right before I enlisted, and I've seen PF on their two post Roger Tours and LOVED every second.:smokin

For people thinking I hand out 10 votes like a hooker hands out condoms when a ship comes to port, well... Dig this:

This is a complete fraud to be called Pink Floyd. IMHO it was a tribute or money grab to help the Wright estate?
Who knows??? and who cares!!!. Its not PF. It is a meticulously recorded bunch of drivel. And there really isn't much Rick
on it except for a handful of infinitely sustained chords.

This crap makes your basic studio out-take seem like a masterwork(but very nicely recorded.)

This is not a Pink floyd record and should not have been released as such. I - M - H - O. :howl

Total rubbish. It gets a two only because it sounds great, sonic-ally speaking.

(n) (n) (n)

It's hard to believe that it's been 11 months since I purchased this title...but even harder to believe is how much I have grown to really dislike this album...with every play it got worse...other than the sonic quality I can't see any redeeming quality to this mish mash of sounds and effects....if someone left this album at a record company to audition and it was some unknown band there is no way this would ever be released...no way...music is subjective and like a yard sale...one man's garbage is another man's fortune...it's not the worst I've ever heard...but it might be the worst with the Pink Floyd name attached to it...I gave it a 4...only because DennisMooreJr gave it a 2 and I finally wanted to beat him at something:)

Back