ebay prick- beware he is a scam artist

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadtrade

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
he is a blackmailer, requesting partial refunds for damage, then trying to return

If you deal with this prick on EBAY beware, he is a scam artist

"stjohns-collections"

is his handle

Peter DuPratt

Eastlakes New South Wales 2018
Australia

Ebay screwed this up, admitted so and said I can appeal. He paid too much for the LP, now this guy wanted 50% off after almost a month after receiving it, first claiming it was damaged. Blackmail and if you do not get it you can fuck the seller. Somehow dropped that, Then got ebay to allow him to return 1 of 3 lps in the package and make me pay his overseas shipping. Then ebay said they screwed up. He is one I want to call out,
you are an idiot if you sell to

stjohns-collections"

is his handle

Peter DuPratt

Eastlakes New South Wales 2018
Australia

he will bend you over if you trust him

and now with paypal as from November 18th they can put in claims up to 180 days after the sale.

180 days? wow... that will drive me away from selling using paypal. slowly but surley it is becoming much less desirable to take on that kind of liability. just crazy. wonder if there is a list of particular items that would be acceptable up to 180 days? if it's for anything..they obviously haven't thought that one thru very well...

Good advice when selling is to video the item thoroughly- video the packing to protect your self. I have had e bay help me with a bad seller and return of the defective item. We always do unpacking videos. karma will get this asshole

I've found that the higher the price you ask for vinyl on eBay, the more likely someone will later bitch about it. Worse, it's a buyer's game and not a seller's: a seller is guilty and not presumed innocent for any hassles (though God knows there are zillions of sellers who are incompetent when it comes to any kind of grading).

For myself, unless I know the seller and their rep, I hold my nose in those rare instances that I actually buy something online like used vinyl...I'd rather visit a store and peruse for myself (which is part of the joy of it anyway--the enticing well of discovery).

ED :)

Yeah I shipped 3 to him in Australia while he screamed about me making him pay priority so it can be insured. It was a package worth over 220 and he wanted me to ship it without insurance. The next time he got Larry Gunn in southern cal to get his lp because of the same matter, it was over $100 and I would not ship it International First class- no insurance. Somehow he got Larrys name and USA address on his paypal account the second time. I think I met Larry years ago in socal at a quad meet, but he is now banned also. And I have a few extra hours in the winter, so if I get the chance I will go on ebay and look for sellers selling a quantity of quad lps, I will write and warn them about his ass. Sometimes being a dick will provoke ire, and reprisal will ensue. So I will probably bring this up again with another thread somehow. Keep screaming asshole for while and perhaps feel better, ebay is just a real pain sometimes.

ebay have him as Member since: 01-May-02 in United States

Good advice when selling is to video the item thoroughly- video the packing to protect your self. I have had e bay help me with a bad seller and return of the defective item. We always do unpacking videos. karma will get this asshole

ahh excellent advice! of course i have dated photos but video item AND packaging i hadn't thought about...thx!

Although it's not the same guy, I too got soaked for $100, a Pioneer QP-424 tape deck, and a sealed Enoch Light tape.
He was a short-time member on here who never showed his face again. Some lousy S.O.B. also from Australia.

He wanted cheap, surface shipping - I complied. 8-12 weeks delivery through Canada Post.
After 2 weeks, he started bitching "Wheres my tape deck?"

So the sum-bit opens a claim, I showed Paypal that it had indeed been shipped and advised them of Canada Posts own shipping times.

After 8 weeks, they sided with him and gave him back his money, putting my Paypal account in arrears which cost me another $100 to square up.
TWO DAYS after they sided with him, the Canada Post tracking showed as delivered.

I appealed, Paypal said "Too much time has passed".

So now, I refuse to ship overseas UNLESS to the UK. At least the Brits I trust. Thankfully, Canada Post has discontinued International Surface shipping. Everything goes Airmail now - which costs three to four times as much.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with these bastards, Tad. Everything I've ever purchased from you was top notch!

I have plenty of Brits on my no sell list also, assholes are universal. So are honest good people. They live everywhere and can be male or female and black white brown and anywhere. Most of ebay buyers are good. The frustration occurs as we deal with obvious fraud. Buying music can be emotional, and people sometimes make choices that seem unwise after they click. Then to create a situation which the seller gets screwed is a normal way out for many people. That is the frustration many sellers understand. I was a buyer for all the early years of ebay, and certainly paid more for an auction than desired, it never occurred to me to screw the fellow from whom I purchased the item. I would ask to return or I would think about ways to perhaps resell it and look for a cheaper version some other time. Ebay changes weekly. But Ebay went way over the line to protect buyers and is now trying to redirect somehow. If sellers become a casualty, that's works fine, plenty will sell, but buyers need to trust the sellers, so anything goes for the buyer.
The problem is the lack of continuity. They need to assign one person to a case instead anyone in all these world wide centers can make rulings. And with lps and tapes, the returns need to be allowed but with a fee of 25% to keep recording and returns to a minimum. But I do not run the joint and if anyone thinks that running things fairly is the prime ebay objective, they are as deluded as the majority. Taking care of the CEO and shareholders is bottom line, whatever works to that end is how most companies run themselves these days. Shipping overseas is an issue, and you take a chance every time you mail International first class.

Although it's not the same guy, I too got soaked for $100, a Pioneer QP-424 tape deck, and a sealed Enoch Light tape.
He was a short-time member on here who never showed his face again. Some lousy S.O.B. also from Australia.

He wanted cheap, surface shipping - I complied. 8-12 weeks delivery through Canada Post.
After 2 weeks, he started bitching "Wheres my tape deck?"

So the sum-bit opens a claim, I showed Paypal that it had indeed been shipped and advised them of Canada Posts own shipping times.

After 8 weeks, they sided with him and gave him back his money, putting my Paypal account in arrears which cost me another $100 to square up.
TWO DAYS after they sided with him, the Canada Post tracking showed as delivered.

I appealed, Paypal said "Too much time has passed".

So now, I refuse to ship overseas UNLESS to the UK. At least the Brits I trust. Thankfully, Canada Post has discontinued International Surface shipping. Everything goes Airmail now - which costs three to four times as much.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with these bastards, Tad. Everything I've ever purchased from you was top notch!

I agree that we have no shortage of arseholes in Australia. But as Tad said, it's pretty much like the rest of the world unfortunately. I can't understand why these morons don't just stand by their bids/agreements like normal people?

I used to sell a lot on eBay when it was new and fun. Met many nice people, quad people, and it was almost a "quad community" there. In fact, that's how I first "met" people like Cai, Tad, Poodlebutt, lennonfan, and others. However, when eBay bought PayPal, the whole thing seemed to turn. Suddenly, the seller was the bad guy, and the buyer was king.

I don't mind protecting the buyer from cheats and scams, but no one protects the seller. Any fool can claim he didn't get his stuff, or buy a mint tape and return a crappy one. There's no protection for the seller who ships out a rare item only to hear from PayPal that the buyer is not happy and wants his money back, and they just TAKE IT away without recourse.

I don't mind protecting the buyer from cheats and scams, but no one protects the seller. Any fool can claim he didn't get his stuff, or buy a mint tape and return a crappy one. There's no protection for the seller who ships out a rare item only to hear from PayPal that the buyer is not happy and wants his money back, and they just TAKE IT away without recourse.
I think you're on to something here Jon. Maybe Ebay should promote and support preferred sellers even those who sell on a very limited basis. It might require a few more hoops to jump through for sellers but it should be at no additional cost considering the benefits. It would help Ebay, sellers and buyers.

hi everybody.

im going to call ebay about some of this.

me scared.

i got shut down by ebay in a bad way - i have a landscape design/install/maintain business - i bought a motor off of ebay.

"works perfectly"

but it didnt.

seller wanted me to rebuild the carb and check back with him.

not being in the mood for a project...i decided to open a snad case - significantly not as described.

i got shut down and have a bad motor. why? because i mounted the engine on a mower frame - added gasoline - and then found out it was broken.

therefore i "tampered/altered" the ebay item so no Ebay Buyer Protection.

oh, and when you open a case...and lose the case....ebay does NOT allow you to leave appropriate feedback - period.

with that being said.....im looking to protect myself when i sell anything.

someone i buy from - vincent - gonefishing911 - he lists everything as "for parts or repair" so nobody can claim "it doesnt work"....but he cant be getting best coin that way.

im going to see about that stuff in general and time frame for returns .

something to note - ebay is trying to go for a "hassle free money back guarantee" from sellers.

basically, a buyer has X number of days to make a return...FOR ANY REASON. period.

buyers do pay return shipping...so that will slow some buyers remorse purchases from being returned.

but problem is.....there aint nothing i sell on ebay that im not selling in order to justify a purchase somewhere else - so i want the money...not a hassle free return from my buyer because they too want to redirect some of their monies towards...uh.....who gives a shit?....ebay doesnt....but i do.

everybody loves the excitement of a new car.....but you ever hear of a 45 day return? no.

reid

What pisses me off is that the buyer can claim a full refund after 32 days via Paypal - but the seller can't claim back the eBay selling fees (after 32 days). :mad:

I'm now $47 bucks out of pocket on my costs, i.e. disc purchase cost, shipping and eBay fees. :(

The buyer claims the disc didn't arrive. I suspect he has it in his hands...or will (eventually) get it .

Tracked shipping is also ridiculous from here - $35 for a single disc - so that's not an option.

Oh well - I give up on eBay....

What pisses me off is that the buyer can claim a full refund after 32 days via Paypal - but the seller can't claim back the eBay selling fees (after 32 days). :mad:

I'm now $47 bucks out of pocket on my costs, i.e. disc purchase cost, shipping and eBay fees. :(

The buyer claims the disc didn't arrive. I suspect he has it in his hands...or will (eventually) get it .

Tracked shipping is also ridiculous from here - $35 for a single disc - so that's not an option.

Oh well - I give up on eBay....
That sucks LK. Hearing your story makes me feel like I am benefiting from your misfortune because as they say "forewarned is forearmed".

eBay has become like the US Post Office: if you don't have insurance for any package, you're screwed, and they don't give a spit about it, no matter if the package was misdirected, stolen, placed at the wrong apartment building or number, etc. Being a seller these days (and at this time, I'm not) I would INSIST that any package be signed for by the buyer or their representative (i.e., someone in the home or apartment). And I also ask that the buyer let me know they have it in their hands (Or, as a longtime seller and friend lamented, 'All someone has to do these days is claim they didn't get an unregistered package, and they get their money back, and I lose mine. What's the point?'

Been there, done that.

I think you're on to something here Jon. Maybe Ebay should promote and support preferred sellers even those who sell on a very limited basis. It might require a few more hoops to jump through for sellers but it should be at no additional cost considering the benefits. It would help Ebay, sellers and buyers.

Thing is, anyone who lists in high volume and is willing to become serious about being an eBay seller--regardless of the quality of what they sell--seems to be preferred over someone like me, who comes across a nice one on occasion and, already having a copy myself, lists it and if the price is right, works fine. Making it a business, given eBay (or USPS) policies? No could do, it would drive me crazy.

ED :)

Back