Popular Electronics Magazine

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obbop

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
"Consumer electronics magazine from 1954 to 1982 - Complete Collection."

Open up each monthly edition. The table of contents of each magazine allows you to quickly ascertain of that issue may hold desire information. You old timers may get a kick out of the advertising. I peeked at one month in 1975 and there was some brief mention of quadraphonics. I expect that other issues will offer more.

I did a search for this site to determine if the link has already been posted. The returns were multitudinous with nary a hint that this link has erupted upon the local scene... the greatest surround sound message board in this solar system, for sure, and possibly within the entire galaxy!!!!!

Here it is:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Popular-Electronics-Guide.htm

Whoever took the time to scan and make public the archive receives a hearty "Right-on Far-out and Funky" salutation from me, Obbop, the Disgruntled Old Coot... star of neither stage nor screen.

Enjoy.

Hi. Looking at the December 1976 issue. Reading an opinion piece about quadraphonic listening. Interesting stuff. At the end of the magazine is "advertising index." It appears to be for just that month since it lists the page where the ad is located. That might be useful for those seeking information about old products as I have seen queries at this message board about the old quad gear.

Starting at page 114 is an index for the entire 1976 year. Reviews, reports, product tests, etc. are sorted by categories and the month and page of the issue where that information is located is shown. Quite handy for those seeking specific information.

Similar to what I did while browsing at the on-line old Radio Shack catalogs... grooving on the past and the nifty goodies in a visceral manner as I slavered over those outtasight goodies of yore I now have a new place to wander during my spare Web wander minutes, hours and days. Oh yeah!!!

Oh... I saw the ad for Hewlett-Packard calculators. $200 and more for critters that can now be found for what? $5 for a basic calculator and a few bucks more for the fancier fellows. Sigh.... this is sort of a reminiscing post.... I recall back in the mid-1970s when a name-brand receiver was typically $500 for a decent 50 watt per channel stereo unit. It is difficult to compare prices over time for various reasons. Using an on-line price comparison algorithm we find:

"In 2013, the relative value of $500.00 from 1976 ranges from $1,610.00 to $4,470.00."

Tarnation, ya'll... the prices have plummeted for basic decent audio equipment. And the new stuff is lighter, making moving the goodies easier.

So many changes and these peeks at the past allowed by the wondrous Web is just so nifty keen I am ready to do a happy dance of delight. Yes, it IS easy to please the Old Coot. Heck... at my ancient age sucking in another lungful of air is a delight.

Sniff. Old age sucks but compared to dead.... well.... HAPPY DANCE!!!!!

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Carry on.

I recall back in the mid-1970s when a name-brand receiver was typically $500 for a decent 50 watt per channel stereo unit.

Cool find indeed! We have also catalogs from military PX stores-selling quad equipment. A quality stereo in the early 70's cost as much as or more-as a new car. Up towards the end of the 70's it began to drop in price with the integration of miniature circuits- IC chips. My mom worked at Univac then and I remember her bringing home a chip- it was for the market scanners that were new then.

Thanks for this, as a brit it's nice to see what you guys over the pond got to see.
I choose Feb 73 at random which has a review of the Lafayette SQL-L

I have a stack of 70's PE issues. One has a guide to building your own SQ decoder. I believe there might even be a guide for a CD-4 demodulator, too.

Back