Beach Boys - Pet Sounds on Blu Ray Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Was shopping and just noticed this on DVDplanet.com:

Artist: Beach Boys
Title: Pet Sounds Pure Audio
Genre: Rock
Sub-Genre: Rock / Pop
Release Date: 27 January 2015
Product Type: Blu-ray Disc
Catalog #: 2237746
UPC: 602547118059
Item #: 1400288X
US Only: This Item Can Only Be Shipped To United States Addresses. No International Export.

Interesting. Could be like "Breezin'" in that most of us don't really care for the DVDA mix, so we won't jump on the BDA. It was interesting to read in the liner notes of the BS&T SACD that Al Kooper enjoys the "Pet Sounds" mix.

Was shopping and just noticed this on DVDplanet.com:

Artist: Beach Boys
Title: Pet Sounds Pure Audio
Genre: Rock
Sub-Genre: Rock / Pop
Release Date: 27 January 2015
Product Type: Blu-ray Disc
Catalog #: 2237746
UPC: 602547118059
Item #: 1400288X
US Only: This Item Can Only Be Shipped To United States Addresses. No International Export.

Yeah think this thing was supposed to be out like a year ago then got postponed.............no reason ever given.

Most likeyl same mix as DVD-A, but maybe not as shrill...........who knows :rolleyes:

It was interesting to read in the liner notes of the BS&T SACD that Al Kooper enjoys the "Pet Sounds" mix.

Yeah, he also cites it as an inspiration in the "Super Session" notes. I'm glad he chose a more adventurous route with his own mixes.

Interesting. Could be like "Breezin'" in that most of us don't really care for the DVDA mix, so we won't jump on the BDA. It was interesting to read in the liner notes of the BS&T SACD that Al Kooper enjoys the "Pet Sounds" mix.

Maybe Al Kooper heard a different mix to what finally made it out on DVD-A?

Yeah think this thing was supposed to be out like a year ago then got postponed.............no reason ever given.

Most likeyl same mix as DVD-A, but maybe not as shrill...........who knows :rolleyes:

Fair few people here & on other forums have more than just shrillness issues that turns them off the 5.1 mix on the DVD-A.. alleged channel screw up's etc.. :(

There is a 2014 mastering of this album available(scroll down on the link)...I decided to order THIS today with some other discs on that site..I won't get it for quite a while because one of my other discs won't be released until Dec 17th...I doubt this blu ray audio will be a "fresh" surround mix if it's surround at all...

There is a 2014 mastering of this album available(scroll down on the link)...I decided to order THIS today with some other discs on that site..I won't get it for quite a while because one of my other discs won't be released until Dec 17th...I doubt this blu ray audio will be a "fresh" surround mix if it's surround at all...

ah you did it! i was surprised to find out the double point special..are only valid for 90 days...unlike the regular points. so...i need to sniff out something i can't live without!

So - is the SHM-SACD supposed to be the most current, best sounding Pet Sounds? What about the MOFI version??

So - is the SHM-SACD supposed to be the most current, best sounding Pet Sounds? What about the MOFI version??

At this point...not sure which is the best...on the link you will see the present one on the left side...the one I ordered on the right side(the shm)and the new one coming in 2015 in the middle...now if you believe the description of the middle one it's the best one...we will see...check it out here

And if those choices weren't enough you have this one

At this point...not sure which is the best...on the link you will see the present one on the left side...the one I ordered on the right side(the shm)and the new one coming in 2015 in the middle...now if you believe the description of the middle one it's the best one...we will see...check it out here

And if those choices weren't enough you have this one

When you ordered the SHM, did you know about the additional release (middle one) coming in 2015? If so - how did you decide on the SHM? It's much more money....

When you ordered the SHM, did you know about the additional release (middle one) coming in 2015? If so - how did you decide on the SHM? It's much more money....

I knew about the other releases...the current MoFi was a big improvement over the compressed DVD-A but the SHM version is based on a 2014 DSD master...so a more recent version...as far as cost goes when you buy SHM discs from acoustic sounds you are paying a premium for them getting the discs from Japan...which I have no problem with because a lot of people are either afraid to buy from Japan or just don't want the hassle..the cost of shipping directly from Japan and the acoustic sounds price are in the neighborhood of $10 for a single disc unless you reach their(acoustic sounds) free shipping threshold which is between $89 and $99(it seems to change)...that's usually the price I pay for airmail service from Japan..so shipping costs are equal...now Japan charges no tax so it's now a cost comparison..$60 compared to THIS..the rule of thumb for deliveries from cdJapan is add $10 to the price you see...to me the difference is worth it..not as much as it appears...plus at cdJapan you earn points toward future purchases which reduces the cost even more...

The SHM SACD is $32.96 plus shipping. This might be less than what the Analogue Productions one would cost you with shipping. I'll go with none of the above and stick with the MFSL stereo SACD. I might change my mind and get the SHM SACD if some extra money comes around in time before it's out of print.

My latest shipment from CD Japan is this Beach Boys SHM SACD. Not even in stock yet at Acoustic Sounds

I've got the platinum SHM CD version of this one way too.

Attachments

• sacd_summerdays.jpg
    sacd_summerdays.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 675
Listening to Pet Sounds again last couple days has renewed my interest in getting a better audio experience than the pathetic DVD-Audio.

I'm with you. The best part of the DVDA for me is the bonus tracks. The unreleased vocals and A Cappella tracks are the great and the way I wish the actual album had been mastered for surround. I mainly listen to those!!

I just ordered another Beach Boys SHM SACD from Japan. Pretty nice how 4559 yen works out to US$ 37.78 -- strong dollar. That's the price including air mail shipping.

Back