Beach Boys - Pet Sounds on Blu Ray Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I do like blu-ray and wouldn't mind a copy, I must be in the minority here, I do like Mark Linnet's surround mix.It is an amazing job to take "mono" and make it "stereo"and then (Silverline pay attention here....) turn it into 5 .1 surround !

Well, I've tried to like the DVD-A....and it just leaves me wanting way more. I guess I am willing to spend money on a blu-ray copy...what if it is better? :) I love that album...

Although I do like blu-ray and wouldn't mind a copy, I must be in the minority here, I do like Mark Linnet's surround mix.It is an amazing job to take "mono" and make it "stereo"and then (Silverline pay attention here....) turn it into 5 .1 surround !

It's not terrible, there are just times where it feels like it could be improved upon (and then there's the accusations and postulations and lord knows whatever else has been speculated about the authoring and possible channel assignment anomalies.. but I don't want to go down that road, I'm enjoying a beer now I'm home!) :friday:

I must be in the minority here, I do like Mark Linnet's surround mix.It is an amazing job to take "mono" and make it "stereo"and then (Silverline pay attention here....) turn it into 5 .1 surround !

I find myself enjoying the mix now far more than when I first heard it. And Adam - I find no reason to believe there were any snafus with authoring or channel assignment, I think it was delivered as intended (for better or worse).

I'd love to say that the mix is as it should be, but I'm still aghast from the time I extracted "Wouldn't It Be Nice" from the DVDA and discovered that there was nothing but unfiltered harmony vocals in the LFE channel.

WHY?!?!?!

If the LFE channel is being sent to a subwoofer (like the vast majority of systems setup) you'll never hear it!
Yet another reason why Universal have no one to blame but themselves for the "failure" of their HFPA program (if it is that indeed)
They announce a title like this and constantly delay it instead of focusing their attention more on surround mixes that have never been released like those glorious Elton John titles (though I will give them a bit of credit that maybe they are trying to get back on the right track with a release like "Idlewild South")

I'd love to say that the mix is as it should be, but I'm still aghast from the time I extracted "Wouldn't It Be Nice" from the DVDA and discovered that there was nothing but unfiltered harmony vocals in the LFE channel.

WHY?!?!?!

If the LFE channel is being sent to a subwoofer (like the vast majority of systems setup) you'll never hear it!
Yet another reason why Universal have no one to blame but themselves for the "failure" of their HFPA program (if it is that indeed)
They announce a title like this and constantly delay it instead of focusing their attention more on surround mixes that have never been released like those glorious Elton John titles (though I will give them a bit of credit that maybe they are trying to get back on the right track with a release like "Idlewild South")

Yeah, IIRC, some vocals are in the LFE channel and the LFE are in the Center channel. My guess is that they haven't reviewed the final product, because if that's exactly as it should be... :yikes

Not to get on a "love" fest here...but I gotta say....years ago, I totally dismissed the BB as garbage music...no talent...etc. Whoa....was I wrong, or what? It was Pet Sounds that opened my eyes to their amazing talent. And from there - I have tried to start collecting their acclaimed works....just excellent. So, that is why I want PS on a format that will open it up....spread out the harmonies and all the cool sounds hidden in that gem. OK, back to earth now

OK folks...not sure if this is news or not...I doubt it....

Question - was Pet Sounds Blu-Ray Audio always listed as an option (of course, we all knew it's been on Amazon since back in February or so) on Acoustic Sounds? If not, it is now....still...says arrival date to be announced. I guess I was thinking they didn't have it listed as an option before...either way, now they are listing the MONO/Stereo 96/24 downloads as available...which certainly weren't before...so maybe we're getting closer??

OK folks...not sure if this is news or not...I doubt it....

Question - was Pet Sounds Blu-Ray Audio always listed as an option (of course, we all knew it's been on Amazon since back in February or so) on Acoustic Sounds? If not, it is now....still...says arrival date to be announced. I guess I was thinking they didn't have it listed as an option before...either way, now they are listing the MONO/Stereo 96/24 downloads as available...which certainly weren't before...so maybe we're getting closer??

This listing has been listed for a quite a while now. Nothing new there, and probably nothing new concerning when this will actually be released either.
Maybe they are just waiting until the 50th anniversary of the album next year. That would at least make it a sensible delay.

This listing has been listed for a quite a while now. Nothing new there, and probably nothing new concerning when this will actually be released either.
Maybe they are just waiting until the 50th anniversary of the album next year. That would at least make it a sensible delay.

OK, wasn't sure....oh well....whatever...nevermind....I think someone has that in their QQ signature.... :)

Would be nice to know if this was a real product before buying the new SACD.

Whoa! Didn't see this one coming. I'd all but given up on any newer 5.1. Unless someone tell me that this will sound no better than the old DVD-A I have...I'm gonna be all over this like flies on doo-doo. Geez....but I did just buy a mono vinyl. :violin

I don't see a stand-alone Blu-ray there, just some big box set with a bunch of redbooks incuded.

This is still very early information without any preorders yet either, so it's not possible to rule out or guarantee a single Blu-Ray release at this point.

Hmm, is this looking like a revised Pet Sounds Sessions box? The differences being the hard bound book (hopefully not with tightly packed scuffed discs), and the previous content being in hi-rez, plus live stuff?

Hmm, is this looking like a revised Pet Sounds Sessions box? The differences being the hard bound book (hopefully not with tightly packed scuffed discs), and the previous content being in hi-rez, plus live stuff?

Yes, based on the link's information, here's what we know will be in the box set thus far:
-remastered original album in stereo and mono
-hires instrumental and 5.1 mixes
-session outtakes
-alternate mixes
-previously unreleased live recordings
-highres stereo and mono mixes

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself right now, but this looks like a title that can perfectly exploit the Blu-Ray disc format with the different mixes and session outtakes. If that's all in high-resolution, I think a lot of members will definitely get this set! :)

Back