Rick Wakeman - Six Wives and Arthur

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon, you may have no idea of how much good this website does for the quad community. If it were'nt for QuadraphonicQuad, I doubt I would have one tenth of the collection I now have. That and the technical information that gets passed around is most valuable. Don't worry about the hot heads, and ban them if you have to, just please keep this site going. And thank you.
The Quadfather

He is a very talented person who is very passionate about quad and preserving old quad recordings. He sometimes gets very defensive when he probably should not and that actually makes me sad. I happened to like the guy and appreciated his accomplishments, but he tends to get too passionate, to put it mildly, and after a very long time I finally did in fact have to ban him as he left me no choice. He is missed by some, including me, but for the sake of the membership here he had to go.

One of the things I really hate about running this forum is the tension and bitterness that sometimes develops around here. Many of us are old and getting older. Getting into arguments and tirades on the internet is just so not worth it. I have on a number of times decided to tank this place only to be turned around by something good that happens, or encouragement from the membership.

The quad/surround community is small and there is no reason for everyone not to get along. That would make me happy. Really. But alas, there have been a handful of times here when that was not possible.

None of us know how long we'll all be around, and that goes for this place as well.

Man.... Who would've thought that Rick Wakeman's music could ignite such passions? And me, I've never actually heard his music in my 44 years. I surely must be missing out on something special indeed...

Man.... Who would've thought that Rick Wakeman's music could ignite such passions? And me, I've never actually heard his music in my 44 years. I surely must be missing out on something special indeed...

To me, this is his best one...I can't stand the King Arthur one (avoid it, cause it's a CD-4 conversion)..he had been working quite a while on the 6 Wives one...
But, YMMV

To me, this is his best one...I can't stand the King Arthur one (avoid it, cause it's a CD-4 conversion)..he had been working quite a while on the 6 Wives one...
But, YMMV

i wouldn't recommend to avoid the King Arthur set altogether, its not a bad conversion of the CD-4 (my CD-4 LP of it sounds crap by comparison, pressed badly off-centre on super thin vinyl that's all warped to fck, i know which version i prefer to listen to) :)

My recollection - which is not always reliable these days - is that the quad master that was located was a previously unreleased quad mix of White Rock.

It would be quite ironic if they can't find the quad masters that were released but found one that wasn't.

More quad is always welcome , more quad from Rick Wakeman would be a treat indeed .:smokin

I hope it is "White Rock "----Oh hell I want 'em all released in quad ! ! ! !

AND ;

Let's not forget "Lizstomania" was mixed in quad (Sansui QS ) for the film by Ken Russell . Quintaphonic really, the four quad channels with the addition of the 5th channel center mono which was their process in brief.

The potential for all of those in the 70's is most definitely there (as Homerjau points out. (y))
So the more the merrier , I must say , Bring 'em all on !! "White Rock" in quad " etc, etc, ;)

The 30kHz dropping in and out could be due to the off centre record and the wow that produces. Have you considered making the centre hole bigger?

The 30kHz dropping in and out could be due to the off centre record and the wow that produces. Have you considered making the centre hole bigger?

i reamed the hole out by hand and it did improve the off-centred-ness.. but it didn't seem to make much difference with the 30khz carrier the light still kept pulsing on and off.. i've invested in a Michell clamp which may help with the warping i dunno if that's causing carrier lock on problems.. when CD-4 is good its very good but when it's bad.. it's very bad! :D

i reamed the hole out by hand and it did improve the off-centred-ness.. but it didn't seem to make much difference with the 30khz carrier the light still kept pulsing on and off.. i've invested in a Michell clamp which may help with the warping i dunno if that's causing carrier lock on problems.. when CD-4 is good its very good but when it's bad.. it's very bad! :D

If you widened the hole and it's still not stable, the obvious problem was taht it was some time near a heat source and the disc was "melted"....I have a few like that...

It SUCKS...

If you widened the hole and it's still not stable, the obvious problem was taht it was some time near a heat source and the disc was "melted"....I have a few like that...

It SUCKS...

melted..? really!? oh dear.. wouldn't the grooves be melted and the disc be unplayable?

what is interesting is that the carrier drops out most of the time when there is silence.. I'm wondering if this was a conscious decision made by the CD-4 cutting engineer at that time (was it mastered by QQ member Darrell Johnson?) so that noise wouldn't be amplified upon demodulating during these silent passages?

melted..? really!? oh dear.. wouldn't the grooves be melted and the disc be unplayable?

what is interesting is that the carrier drops out most of the time when there is silence.. I'm wondering if this was a conscious decision made by the CD-4 cutting engineer at that time (was it mastered by QQ member Darrell Johnson?) so that noise wouldn't be amplified upon demodulating during these silent passages?

Well, it would not melt, MELT!!! It would have been close to a heat source and the disc was stored normally (uprtight) and the source is warm enough for the "circle to become an ellipse"...

Yeah, I'm really sorry to say but that one is a tosser!...hope you have better luck next time!

Melted enough so that the finer grooves containing the 30kHz signal have smoothed out is my guess.

I meant to update on this and forgot! :eek:
I've since tried a different cart I picked up cheap on eBay (JVC MD-1016B w/673-DQ aftermarket Shibata stylus) and hey presto the 30khz green light on my Grundig demodulator is now solid as a rock throughout both sides of this CD-4 LP (despite the disc being warped etc) and all the separation, sandpaper and drop out crap of this LP = completely gone.
shame its just as I'm getting into Q8 (totally fed up with CD-4) but.. oh well.. I'll revisit some discs that were a problem before (most of them) anyway.
I'm glad I didn't toss the record after all.. I suspected neither the Audio Technica AT440MLb nor the Denon DL-110 were really 100% suitable for CD-4. i've got an NOS AT15s coming from the States just so i can try out a better quality Shibata (I'd rather have got a 15Sa but keep missing out plus budget constraints) but so far with this funny looking (it looks like a piece of shit tbh) JVC MD-1016B, so good.

I meant to update on this and forgot! :eek:
I've since tried a different cart I picked up cheap on eBay (JVC MD-1016B w/673-DQ aftermarket Shibata stylus) and hey presto the 30khz green light on my Grundig demodulator is now solid as a rock throughout both sides of this CD-4 LP (despite the disc being warped etc) and all the separation, sandpaper and drop out crap of this LP = completely gone.
shame its just as I'm getting into Q8 (totally fed up with CD-4) but.. oh well.. I'll revisit some discs that were a problem before (most of them) anyway.
I'm glad I didn't toss the record after all.. I suspected neither the Audio Technica AT440MLb nor the Denon DL-110 were really 100% suitable for CD-4. i've got an NOS AT15s coming from the States just so i can try out a better quality Shibata (I'd rather have got a 15Sa but keep missing out plus budget constraints) but so far with this funny looking (it looks like a piece of shit tbh) JVC MD-1016B, so good.

Glad to hear your Grundig is working , freddio :D

Also good to hear you glommed onto a better cartridge , shibata . For me I totally ignored my JVC shibata after acquiring the Shure M 24H !! What an IMPROVEMENT !!! And it's not a Shibata !!
Tracked pretty much everthing in CD-4 , no problem. And talk about coming to the game late--issued by Shure in 76 !!-when CD-4 was being dumped !(well by Warner U.S. first and foremost )

Going into Q8 ????? Oh my. You LOVE pain .

Well good luck with that. :rolleyes: :upthumb

So, has anyone ever heard of a Six Wives Q8 or CD4 conversion to digital? Asking for a friend.

I have a DTS-CD version that claims it's from a Q8 but it sure doesn't sound like it. Would love to hear the real thing discrete though...

I have a DTS-CD version that claims it's from a Q8 but it sure doesn't sound like it. Would love to hear the real thing discrete though...

ArmyofQuad has shown/told us all what the Q8/CD4 looks and sounds like, on his webcast. You could compare yours to his there and determine if it's real.

All of the digital versions I have, predating the release of the DVD-A, sound like the DVD-A, i.e, far from discrete.

its not the greatest mix of all time (King Arthur is a better mix) but if you want to hear it unfutzed with from the Q8 you know how to reach me.

My friend is quite pleased with the Q8 digitization of Six Wives that fredblue kindly pointed him to. :D

It's certainly more discrete than the DVD-A. (And not as loud). Drums are absolutely absent from the front channels of 'Catherine of Aragon', for example (as AoQ showed in his online Quadcast).

When he compares the three versions of it he now has, my friend finds that OD's version (DS234f, from an SQ LP) runs distinctly slow (and thus at lower pitch) compared to the Q8 and to the DVDA.

Last but not least, he finds that the seasick-making 'wow' during the long organ notes of 'Jane Seymour' -- which has plagued every two-channel and multichannel version he's heard to this point - is blessedly absent on the Q8!

Last edited:
It's just used as a reference for length, so to speak. The various audio streams on the DVD share the same chapter breaks, so the audio on the stereo and quad versions has to be the same length. The stereo mix is presumably the 'definitive' version so you match everything else to that, either by altering the pitch of the quad version (either longer or shorter) or if the pitch is correct already, editing/shortening songs or fading out sooner to match the stereo versions, if necessary.

Pink Floyd did a similar thing on the Wish You Were Here Immersion BluRay - they deleted 30 seconds or so of noodling at the end of one side of the album that was put there to make the Q8 equal length on both sides, because when you laid it out alongside the stereo mix it offset all the track starts after the 30 seconds of noodling so they no longer happened at the same time as their stereo counterparts.
I realize this is an old post but I question the statement about WYWH Quad being a different length than stereo because of something at the end of the album. Im not sure what steelydave is trying to say. But Quad Have a Cigar/Wish You Were Here longer with extra bars of guitar soloing in HAC before the “whoosh” and a prolonged solo after the whoosh, which would account for time differences.

Back