Rick Wakeman - Six Wives and Arthur

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with AoQ -- the Q8 (8 track tape) and CD4 (LP) are clear winners over the versions derived from SQ encoded source.

Universal wouldn't accept a Q8 source, they said it wouldn't be good enough quality. The CD-4 is a very rare Japan only release, and wasn't widely known about until these threads started which was sadly after the SQ decode was done. That said, the SQ decode techniques used have improved substantially since the decode that was done for the DVD-A. That's the nature of technology, there's always something better coming next year.

Well, he really has 4 - the SQ LP, the CD4 LP, the Q8 8-track tape, and the DVDA

He's decoded his SQ LP 2 ways
- script (software)
- Tate (hardware)

I agree with AoQ -- the Q8 (8 track tape) and CD4 (LP) are clear winners over the versions derived from SQ encoded source.

So... I'm still missing out then with this DVDA?
Love to hear that Q8 tape one day then.

At least I'm still able to hear the better mix here. If it's compromised (as the artifacts I'm hearing strongly suggest), it's still overall a better experience than the rougher stereo mix in its cleanest fullest fidelity.

I posted a mini-rant in the King Arthur thread. The same applies here.

I gave it an eight because:

I don't have thousands of dollars in analog quad machinery and I've no desire to hear more scratchy LP records. Did that from 1969 to 1989, thank you very little, so...

Me personally, I am very happy and grateful this was released so I can enjoy this classic work in quad. If the source tapes can't be found, do you know what that means? Yep. The source tapes can't be found. So this is the only option.

What isn't clear: Is the 2.0 mix from the actual 2nd gen 2.0 mixdown tape?

Not entirely confirmed at all, but based on this amazon.co.uk listing, can we expect a reissue of the Quad mix of "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" on DVD this coming Spring? :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Journey-Centre-Earth-Rick-Wakeman/dp/B019JMC8C2/

I wonder if it's the original LIVE version (as the QUAD masters are supposedly lost) or this new one which Wakeman re~recorded and extended and released in 2014 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Journey-Cen...y+to+the+centre+of+the+earth&tag=acleint06-21

The reviews of the newly recorded/extended Journey are very positive. Supposedly better than the original and a state of the art re~recording, as well.

Do we really want another 'needle drop' DVD~A....although I do confess to liking the CD~4 DVD~A needle drop of King Arthur....which is sonically superior to the SQ needle drop DVD~A of Six Wives.

I saw him do this extended version on his last tour, it was really good, and Journey is not my favourite - I don't like the narration! But it might turn out to be a decoded needle drop of the original CD4 as the tapes are missing.

I wonder if it's the original LIVE version (as the QUAD masters are supposed to be lost) or this new one which Wakeman re~recorded and extended and released in 2014 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Journey-Cen...y+to+the+centre+of+the+earth&tag=acleint06-21

The reviews of the newly recorded/extended Journey are very positive. Supposedly better than the original and a state of the art re~recording, as well.

I saw him do this extended version on his last tour, it was really good, and Journey is not my favourite - I don't like the narration! But it might turn out to be a decoded needle drop of the original CD4 as the tapes are missing.

But it would certainly make more sense to use the pristine multitracks of the re~recorded 'extended' edition as it seems that budgetary constraints at the time inhibited Wakeman's original vision while performing the LIVE recording versus the prohibitive cost of recording it in the studio.

Actually, there's enough real estate on a DVD~A to accomodate BOTH versions which would satisfy ALL potential purchasers! I'd certainly want BOTH versions.

Lets hope it is!

But it would certainly make more sense to use the pristine multitracks of the re~recorded 'extended' edition as it seems that budgetary constraints inhibited Wakeman's original realization of the LIVE recording versus the prohibitive cost of recording it in the studio at the time.

I wonder if it's the original LIVE version (as the QUAD masters are supposedly lost) or this new one which Wakeman re~recorded and extended and released in 2014 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Journey-Cen...y+to+the+centre+of+the+earth&tag=acleint06-21

Do we really want another 'needle drop' DVD~A....although I do confess to liking the CD~4 DVD~A needle drop of King Arthur....which is sonically superior to the SQ needle drop DVD~A of Six Wives.

I imagine it'd be the original Quad from 74 or 75 or whenever (I can hear the needles being sharpened already.. I mean knives.. :violin )

But it would certainly make more sense to use the pristine multitracks of the re~recorded 'extended' edition as it seems that budgetary constraints at the time inhibited Wakeman's original vision while performing the LIVE recording versus the prohibitive cost of recording it in the studio.

Hi 4-earredwonder, :)

I've cherished the original "Journey" since 1976 when I bought the 8-track tape! I would say the new recording is good but nowhere close to the original. What is completely lost is the feel of a "band". On the new record: The drums are standard 4/4 timed and so is the bass playing. The original had all kinds of off-tempo rhythms and funky little breaks. Also there was a synergy between the two male vocalists on the original which doesn't occur on the new record. Just my $.02.

I would think a surround version of the new studio recording would be a whole different offering since this re-release effort is only happening due to Rick having a super-fan who is also a high level exec at Universal and the goal is to get out the classic stuff once more. This time its personal!

I'd like to keep the faith and hope we get a new surround mix from the original multi-track, but if it and the 2nd gen quad tapes are lost, its likely we get a needle drop or perhaps a copy from a quad reel-to reel. Whatever is available, just like the first two releases.

For my part, I am THRILLED if Universal continues with more Wakeman releases. Any quad or surround is better than NO quad or surround. (y)

I am still really enjoying the quad mix of Arthur. Its my first experience of surround for that record and I am very grateful to have it. It really opens up things considering Rick worked with a complete orchestra with an already full band-arranged record.

P.S. If only one multi-track can be found out of all of Wakeman's work,(perhaps for No Earthly Connection or Criminal Record) it will all be worth it.

P.S. II Regarding all the missing Wakeman multi-tracks and quad tapes: Its alarming and shameful how poorly A&M records too care of Rick's work.
Especially since most of the YES/ELP/Genesis(prog in general) recordings of that period exist! I can see two possible reasons for this.

1. Wakeman has said the A&M never wanted to accept for distribution any work he ever did! So A&M was quick to reuse whatever studio tapes were used for Rick's recordings.

2. A&M's sloppy archiving was due to the fact that that label was sold & resold many times in the 1980's and so on. Hmm, are the tapes missing for the other A&M artists of the day, like The Carpenters & Herb Alpert, etc...???

I like me some Wakeman, but I'm not passionate about it. If they release something that sounds great and I like it in stereo, I'm in.
I find some of his music enjoyable, but some is a little goofy or silly for my tastes. There is room in my world for weird, but the reviews would have to really convince me.

I like me some Wakeman, but I'm not passionate about it. If they release something that sounds great and I like it in stereo, I'm in.
I find some of his music enjoyable, but some is a little goofy or silly for my tastes. There is room in my world for weird, but the reviews would have to really convince me.

Good sir Baggins of the Edison Clan,

I'm replying to you as a fellow musician.

Depends on which Wakeman records you are referring to:

I'm one of his biggest fans but I will admit his 1980's and later output was lacking, however, since you are of more recent gentry, I'll toss out this brief refresher:

6 Wives: Brilliant & requisite for any musician

King Arthur - Perhaps the best ever integration of orchestra AND contemporary band, plus Wakeman's keyboard wizardry. That is the Triple Crown for all you philly fans. A perfect blend that succeeds as one fantastic piece of music.

Journey - Live, imiginative & multi-faceted, musicically speaking. Noting wrong here. Another must-have classic.

White Rock - Very strong score for the 1976 Olympics using modern synths, largely...

No Earthly Connection - The last of Rick's great "band" records. Satisfying from start to finish.

Criminal Record - His last great recording. First three songs are played with Alan White & Chris Squire. MUST SEE TV!!!

1 Statue of Justice
2 Crime of Passion
3 Chamber of Horrors

Now one more observation, as a guitarist I also love & play keyboardists. But I have observed that many of my guitar brethren don't share my enthusiasm for keys. So your tolerance may be less than mine. But if Heaven was a place where they played the above Wakeman records daily, I would be very happy to be invited. (y)

Back