Rick Wakeman - Six Wives and Arthur

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked if we are getting the Quad mix of Journey, and whether any other albums would be mixed into 5.1. The reply from Rick Wakeman's web site below,

Hi Duncan,

Sorry for the late response, yes that is indeed their intention. Sadly it's
likely to be the last surround release as nothing else had a QUAD version.
We can't rule out 5.1 mixes, but given the state of the early masters, it's
unlikely...

Best regards,
Wayne
RWCC

I thought why not ask the maestro himself about the forthcoming release of Journey to see if we are getting the Quad mix, so I've sent an e-mail via his website. So we'll see what comes back.

I asked if we are getting the Quad mix of Journey, and whether any other albums would be mixed into 5.1. The reply from Rick Wakeman's web site below,

Hi Duncan,

unlikely...

Best regards,
Wayne
RWCC

Thanks Duncan, that pretty much confirmed what I'd heard on the grapevine, one more Quad and slim to no chance of 5.1's.. I wasn't even into Wakeman's solo stuff before I heard the Six Wives Quad but now I am genuinely sad to think that there's little prospect of more surround of his when clearly him/his people are pro-surround.. :(

Hi Duncan,

unlikely...

Best regards,
Wayne
RWCC

I choose to have faith that "early masters" references 6 Wives through Journey... I will still hope and pray that No Earthly Connection, White Rock & Criminal Record have multis that can be located, hence 5.1 mixes can be made. :)

@Duncan: A million blessings to you for reaching out to Wakeman's folks and sharing your info. with us. (y)

I'm certainly not opposed to other Rick Wakeman albums getting remixed in surround, but I'm certainly not expecting it either.
When it comes to Yes-related albums in surround, the only thing I care about now is getting Steven Wilson's remixes of "Tales from Topographic Oceans" released (by the end of the year especially) and anything else would be lagniappe. :)

I wonder if we should include the additional legacy quad title??

My Honourable, Rt. Honourable Lord Dennis Moore, how is the legacy quad Lisztomania by Wakeman and Daltrey?
I ask only because you seem a YES-and-YES solos fan (er..super fan).At least I must surmise this from your prior posts, dear friend.:sun

The album (A&M Records), supposedly contains the QS quad matrix intact from the movie soundtrack, the movie was WarnerBros.
your gracious servant, fizzy

My Dear Fizzy, :)

A thousand apologies & weak excuses for the delay. I had to dig & dig to find my copy of the "real" Lisztomania.
I recall when it came out on the heels of "Tommy". But I never knew that it was in fact an impostor. :violin

After many years, Rick released the long hidden & forgotten score that he actually did in a box set.

"The Real Lisztomania"

Yes, I am quite a fanatic regarding YES et al, but having been born a poor black child, I was never hip to the extravagances of Quad, so Lisztomania in Quad wouldn't have even been on my radar! Major props to you to know of its existence! BUT, since A&M rejected Rick's entire work, what music that would be on the Quad reel would be the "substitute" music. Check out this exciting picture for the amazing details!

Liszt.JPG

Cool pics of "Lisztomania", it's a reissue then, with bonus material.

I used to have an article on Quintaphonic sound use and although they were mostly referencing The Who-Tommy (soundtrack), the author of the article, Mr. Mosely, did mention the useage of the quintaphonic system with "Lisztomania".

From what I could understand of "quintaphonics", the Sansui QS matrix was used for the four quadrants and a separate mono center channel was used-discrete, pertaining for the most part to the film's dialog track.

I met Rick a few years ago and got my Q8's of six wives and Arthur signed (think it was they are in the loft/attic now). He was amazed to see there and he told me he recalls having to sit right in the centre and not dare move your head!.
I wonder if he heard the reissues at all.

I see Amazon.co.uk have a April 8th release date for CD/DVD of journey. I assume this is the new remastered edition with surround. I initially found this mentioned on a Disk Union mailing which stated 5.1 on the DVD.

Back