Rick Wakeman - Six Wives and Arthur

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting sick of all this crap cluttering up this thread that's supposed to be a CIVIL discussion about 2 Quad releases on DVD-A.

If you're not satisfied with these releases, either don't buy them, or if you have already bought them, return them or sell them to somebody else who will appreciate them!

There's plenty of great things coming along the way to spend your money on, both Quad and 5.1, along with plenty of great releases that are already available, so please, for my sanity, stop the moan-fest already!!!
I would agree with my man RT. Please let's keep things civil. Everybody has a strong opinion. I'm sure things were done as they could be. Could they be better - maybe so but they are what they are. Now that you know, buy 'em or don't buy'em. But, please, let's keep things friendly around here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

To me it seems while some masters are missing, there have got to be tons of quad masters that are ready to go. Universal ought to devote their time to what they have masters of rather than dick around with 8-tracks and quadradiscs. If the labels really do care about preserving quad mixes that have missing masters, why not work with us to preserve those? Its no secret that there is distribution of amateur conversions...why not work with us to allow a legitimate means of doing so? Perhaps some sort of system that allows downloads based on ownership of the stereo edition, for a nominal fee to pay for storage and bandwidth? If universal really wants to get in the business of legitimate Q8 and CD-4 conversions, there's a better way to do it than selling deluxe edition dvd-a's unmarked at a premium price.

I felt pretty much the same way as you, to a certain extent, wishing Universal had consulted the huge knowledge base (here at QQ and elsewhere amongst Quad collectors & enthusiasts) when they did that hatchet job on Black Sabbath's Paranoid Deluxe -- the quad on the DVD of that was seriously sub-par.

However, I'm guessing things must have changed @Universal in that regard in the years since then, as these two discs sound absolutely leaps and bounds better than that Paranoid disaster in every way! It strikes me with things like the now common knowledge OD connection and Neil Wilkes, etc with these Rick Wakeman sets, the label may just have learned from their previous mistakes and actually consulted people in the Quad community this time round who have helped them out? Just my take on why these are such a drastic improvement despite/in spite of sources used.. who knows!?

I'm getting sick of all this crap cluttering up this thread that's supposed to be a CIVIL discussion about 2 Quad releases on DVD-A.

If you're not satisfied with these releases, either don't buy them, or if you have already bought them, return them or sell them to somebody else who will appreciate them!

There's plenty of great things coming along the way to spend your money on, both Quad and 5.1, along with plenty of great releases that are already available, so please, for my sanity, stop the moan-fest already!!!

Oh RT.. You have no idea how many posts I have written here in this thread and deleted without posting.. what good would it do going off on a tirade, I've done it here before and regretted it afterwards.. I can't be bothered arguing with anyone about these.. they are what they are.. people who've never heard them are entitled to hate them on principle since potential source info has come to light.. I've heard them, I like them, I'm enjoying them and hope for more Quad mixes on DVD/SACD etc I can actually BUY! Ideally from master tapes but if no can do I'll take the best they can do! :D

I would agree with my man RT. Please let's keep things civil. Everybody has a strong opinion. I'm sure things were done as they could be. Could they be better - maybe so but they are what they are. Now that you know, buy 'em or don't buy'em. But, please, let's keep things friendly around here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

There is always 1 in every thread on every forum. I can normally just overlook the crap but this forum is different in the fact that civility reigns supreme here and to call someone ( actually more than 1 person) names should not be tolerated. The almost zero back and forth name calling make this forum special and I want it to stay that way. Take your petty name calling and all your personal butt hurts somewhere else so we can talk some surround tunage. Peace.

There was never an SQ release of "Arthur" or "Journey" anywhere in the world.

"Six Wives" was SQ/Q8 only, but by the time the other two albums were released, A&M had permanently switched over to CD-4.

Any talk of an SQ decode of "Arthur" is a fabrication, unless someone decoded a stereo or quadradisc with an SQ decoder, which would be pretty dumb.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/aandm.htm

Rick Wakeman became aware of some of Oxford Dickie's earlier quad conversions of his work, and Wakeman mentioned them on his web site saying something like it was nice this stuff could finally be heard again. It is believed this is how OD got into this project in the first place. So don't say Rick would be appalled by these conversions, the available evidence suggests otherwise.

There was an SQ CD?

DS234f on OD's blog is Six Wives decoded from SQ CD. Now withdrawn due to the commercial release. Nothing sinister, let's face it underground conversions and rips are basically piracy (of stuff they won't sell you at any price usually) and it's a good idea not to antagonise the record companies.

There was never an SQ release of "Arthur" or "Journey" anywhere in the world.

"Six Wives" was SQ/Q8 only, but by the time the other two albums were released, A&M had permanently switched over to CD-4.

Any talk of an SQ decode of "Arthur" is a fabrication, unless someone decoded a stereo or quadradisc with an SQ decoder, which would be pretty dumb.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/aandm.htm

There's been no talk from me of an SQ conversion of Arthur. What I said was that there is an SQ CD of Six Wives, but OD found the SQ vinyl sounded better (and he usually prefers CDs, so that's not a biased decision he took there).

And someone earlier on this thread (in Luton, so not too far from me) claimed to have a Japanese CD-4 of Six Wives (but nothing to play it on).

DS234f on OD's blog is Six Wives decoded from SQ CD. Now withdrawn due to the commercial release. Nothing sinister, let's face it underground conversions and rips are basically piracy (of stuff they won't sell you at any price usually) and it's a good idea not to antagonise the record companies.

Which CD is this please? I'd like to get a copy and try it out. Thanks!

Which CD is this please? I'd like to get a copy and try it out. Thanks!

I've posted everything I know about it. Oxford Dickie's email address is on his blog, you could try emailing him and asking him about the SQ CD of Six Wives and what the catalogue number is. Please be nice, there's been a lot of ill will betweem him and QQ (not saying anyone's at fault, there are two sides to every story) and you don't want to be associated with that set of arguments. Really, you don't.

OD got some email from Universal. His contact has been away and has just got back. Anyway this is from someome called Steve (they don't seem to have surnames):

"Copying in Richard in who helped us with the source for both, the quad tapes don't exist so we used Richard (copied) versions, him and Neil can explain the process"

"They are sort of needle drops but fully restored versions to the highest possible quality and approved , we should have made a note in the book to be honest - they were then authored by Neil"

So two things:

1) someone at Universal realises they should have said what the source is in the books. Hurray!

2) they're both OD's tranfers, CD-4 for Arthur and SQ vinyl for Six Wives decoded with SQ/II-and-a-bit process.

As someone else said in this thread, every release of Six Wives had wobble in Anne Boleyn so that isn't indicative of being a Q8.

I hope people are now convinced of the sources for these releases. I'm not bothered whether you like them or not, I'm just trying to bring clarity so that people know where these came from and can make an informed decision whether to purchase.

I just hope that those who spend their well earned cash on them knowing this, feel they got value for money and like the music and the transfers.

EDIT: I accept that people who bought before knowing this might feel aggrieved. Some on here don't need someone else's transfer. That's no-one's fault except Universal.

I've posted everything I know about it. Oxford Dickie's email address is on his blog, you could try emailing him and asking him about the SQ CD of Six Wives and what the catalogue number is. Please be nice, there's been a lot of ill will betweem him and QQ (not saying anyone's at fault, there are two sides to every story) and you don't want to be associated with that set of arguments. Really, you don't.

Ok.. I'm grateful for the info you've provided and you're right I don't want to get involved in anything like that! None of my business! :)

I guess where I'm at with these records, they are two albums (and in turn Quads) I knew little to nothing about until recently so it's all an exciting personal voyage of discovery! I sense not everybody's knocked out by these two records in a musical sense but it's all good.. part of life's rich tapestry.. it wouldn't do for us all to be the same and all that!

I wonder what the general reaction has been to these two Deluxe Editions (outside of this forum etc) have they been well received generally by the music press and so on?

The artist is an idiot if he wants his material in HI res and the source is a q8 or a needledrop. period. This has nothing to do with letting us hear legacy systems, that is what conversions are all about. Why do this, when the folks at home can do just as well.

Actually most folks at home can't do as well, or do anything at all with legacy quad. I've never heard King Arthur before, I don't own any legacy quad gear (I have neither the space nor time for the TLC it needs), and I'm enjoying this release. Yes there are conversions by many people on QQ plus OD's releases, but they only reach a small audience. A commercial release like these will reach a much larger audience than any semi underground conversion ever could.

Or do you want to keep the glory that is quad all to ourselves here in our little niche, never letting the masses hear it? That would be unfair on the masses, and self defeating for a forum that wants to see quad reach a wider world and become more popular.

...... Please be nice, there's been a lot of ill will betweem him and QQ.......

Any ill will between QQ and OD is solely the fault of OD, and the tale can be told in his posts here in the forum and in his own mind. Let's not drag that all up again because is really pisses me off.

If his conversions were in fact used for these releases, and they do sound good (not saying they do because I don't have them), than he should get the credit.

Jon

Sorry but I have a Brazilian Not the type that Australians think of
But SQ lp of Rick Wakeman Journey To Centre of Earth
Made in Brazil

Back