Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of all the unreleased multichannel mixes, this is the one that I most want to hear. Of course I'd prefer to hear the original LPCM mix rather than than an SACD transcoding, but I'll take what I can get. Given the quality of the rest of ES's Steely Dan and Don Fagen mixes, and the degree to which Pretzel Logic kicks ass, one can only assume that this mix is phenomenal. Why, oh, why can't they (whoever they are) do a Kickstarter. There are many of us (myself included) who would pay whatever it costs to make this happen.

There are some interesting discussions here

Yes, I'm also desperate for Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player. Seriously, given that these 5.1 mixes are done (according to Elliot Scheiner and Greg Penny), whoever owns the rights to them should figure out how much money they'd be willing to accept to release them, and then do a Kickstarter--I'm not joking. I'd put up a few hundred dollars to help get either of these mixes out the door in a heartbeat. Even on SACD ;)

i don't know if Tommy Bolin fits in here somewhere....but i would LOVE to have Private Eyes in surround...what a killer multi this one could be!

i don't know if Tommy Bolin fits in here somewhere....but i would LOVE to have Private Eyes in surround...what a killer multi this one could be!

I'd like some Hall & Oates, but I don't know if any multichannel mixes exist.

Private Eyes
They're watching you
They see your every move
Private Eyes
They're watching you
Private Eyes
They're watching you
Watching you
Watching you
Watching you

So I see AF has released a few more original quad mix SACDs recently. I thought I'd start a new thread dedicated to a quad SACD wish list.

Here are my votes:

Zappa: Overnite Sensation and Apostrophe
War: The Best Of
Santana: ST, Abraxas, 111

• Kraftwerk Autobahn
  • Edgar Winter Group They Only Come Out At Night
  • Bryan Ferry Boys And Girls (5.1)
  • BTO Head On
  • ZZ Top Fandango
  • Grass Roots 16 Greatest Hits

So I see AF has released a few more original quad mix SACDs recently. I thought I'd start a new thread dedicated to a quad SACD wish list.

Here are my votes:

Zappa: Overnite Sensation and Apostrophe
War: The Best Of
Santana: ST, Abraxas, 111

First off, can a mod move this thread to the Audio Fidelity section of the forum? It belongs there more than it does here.

Second concerning this particular list, first question is was "The Best Of War" ever mixed in Quad? I couldn't find any reference to a Quad mix of such an album on the internet just now. Second question is what is "111" under Santana? The other two choices you have listed there (ST and "Abraxas") are probably your best bets of eventual releases.
Finally, I wouldn't count on anything Zappa-related being released by AF. His estate has a very tight grasp on his recordings, so it may prove very tough for AF to license those albums.

• Kraftwerk Autobahn
  • Edgar Winter Group They Only Come Out At Night
  • Bryan Ferry Boys And Girls (5.1)
  • BTO Head On
  • ZZ Top Fandango
  • Grass Roots 16 Greatest Hits

Were the bottom three albums you have listed here definitely released in Quad? I looked on Discogs, but couldn't find any Quad listings for those last three.
Specifically concerning "Boys and Girls", I have said it before, but I think that would be an excellent title for UMe to release as an HFPA Blu-Ray since they now own that one and it's celebrating its 30th anniversary this year (plus it's a 5.1 title as opposed to Quad)

There was a QS mix of Best of War released on vinyl. I know this because I have it.

Who knows whether the discrete quad master tape still exists. There was reported to be a Q4 released of the same title, but I've watched for a copy for ever and not found one.

By "111" I meant "Santana 3".

I agree that the Zappa stuff is a pipe dream, but if HAL can dream, why can't I?

There was a QS mix of Best of War released on vinyl. I know this because I have it.

Who knows whether the discrete quad master tape still exists. There was reported to be a Q4 released of the same title, but I've watched for a copy for ever and not found one.

By "111" I meant "Santana 3".

I agree that the Zappa stuff is a pipe dream, but if HAL can dream, why can't I?

There were never any quad reels by War. A couple of titles were due to come out but cancelled. Best of War wasn't one of them.

Were the bottom three albums you have listed here definitely released in Quad? I looked on Discogs, but couldn't find any Quad listings for those last three.
Specifically concerning "Boys and Girls", I have said it before, but I think that would be an excellent title for UMe to release as an HFPA Blu-Ray since they now own that one and it's celebrating its 30th anniversary this year (plus it's a 5.1 title as opposed to Quad)
I had Grass Roots 16 Greatest Hits on a GRT Q8 and also on QS LP.

Back