Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But there still could be other ES mixes that are already finished (both previously released and unreleased) that Audio Fidelity could exploit, that is if they could actually come to a consensus with the labels and artists on figuring out how to get more Multichannel SACD releases out to us…

Yes, getting record label and artist approval is the key.
Elliot Scheiner is a Surround Sound fan, so that helps - but it's only the first step.

Yes, getting record label and artist approval is the key.
Elliot Scheiner is a Surround Sound fan, so that helps - but it's only the first step.

Perhaps Elliot Scheiner should be DIRECTLY in touch with Dr. Rhino as a lot of his stellar unreleased remixes were for the Warner/Rhino label....and UMG [Universal Music Group], as well.....thereby eliminating the middle man [reissue companies AF and/or AP].

Perhaps Elliot Scheiner should be DIRECTLY in touch with Dr. Rhino as a lot of his stellar unreleased remixes were for the Warner/Rhino label....and UMG [Universal Music Group], as well.....thereby eliminating the middle man [reissue companies AF and/or AP].

He could be "directly in touch" but that still leaves the artist approval - which is the missing ingredient for many of the albums and artists that are most frequently mentioned/requested here.

He could be "directly in touch" but that still leaves the artist approval - which is the missing ingredient for many of the albums and artists that are most frequently mentioned/requested here.

Brian, agreed, but those quad/5.1 remixes aren't getting any younger......and nor are the artists, themselves. I should think they'd [the artists] be happy to release them unless there was a quibble with the quality of the surround mixes.

I just read in another post that Alan Parsons had to bake the multitracks for Tales of Mystery & Imagination before doing the remixes. Those tapes ain't gonna last forever and from my recollection, you can only bake them once and then that's IT!:yikes It's a 'one shot' deal!

Brian, agreed, but those quad/5.1 remixes aren't getting any younger......and nor are the artists, themselves. I should think they'd [the artists] be happy to release them unless there was a quibble with the quality of the surround mixes.

I just read in another post that Alan Parsons had to bake the multitracks for Tales of Mystery & Imagination before doing the remixes. Those tapes ain't gonna last forever and from my recollection, you can only bake them once and then that's IT!:yikes It's a 'one shot' deal!

If they didn't transfer the multis to digital years ago...

That would certainly be the rationally intelligent solution but a lot of those multitracks are either scattered or missing and unless one consciously searches for them doubtful a lot of those multitracks have been digitally transferred. IMO, most [or ALL] of the Major record conglomerates are content to do digital transfers of the original stereo master tapes.

And then there are the recordings where the artist or recording engineer has the master tapes, not the record label..... :)

"Cookie Marenco noted that a recent trend is for recording engineers and artists to hold on to their Analog Master Tapes rather than giving them to record companies to ensure that the Analog Tapes are available for later use rather than risk their loss."

http://positive-feedback.com/show-reports/discoveries-rocky-mountain-audio-fest-2016/

This year has been brutal for music deaths.

There are those artists or managers who are at the end of the road, and nearing the stage left exit door of this life, and we won't have to deal with their petty stinginess much longer.

It's true, even if Paul never gets around to re-cutting the Let it Be footage, someone else will do it for him.

The (multi-channel) music lives on!

Actually, "Mad Dogs And Englishmen " was released as a 5.1 DVD w/DTS , DD.
But it was a very tame surround mix, and I sold off my copy a few years ago.

It wouldn't surprise me if the "5.1" was really just a six-channel encoding of the theatrical magnetic 4-track (LCRS) mix. If so, the surround would seem tame partly because the rear would be mono and that track was referred to by projectionists as the "effects channel". It was generally used sparingly and didn't sport the full frequency range.

Best of Bread was one of the first group of 4 Channel Quad releases from Elektra Records at the launch of Quadraphonic Sound.
It was mixed to show off Quad's potential.

Having it in full Multichannel SACD, transferred right from the Analog 4-Channel Master Tapes by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center is a treat!

My one gripe with this title is that, as with all greatest hits collections of the 70's, half of the album was dubbed from previously released masters. The four tracks from "Baby I'm a Want You" -- Diary, Mother Freedom, Everything I Own, and the title track, were dubbed from that album. I never heard the quad mix of of the original album until a few years ago (from the QR release), and the difference is striking. Maybe at some point that album and the unreleased Best of Bread 2 will get the AF treatment.

Weren't you saying recently that pretty much everything from Warners was a long shot at this point?

There are so many good quad mixes under the Warners umbrella - I'd be grateful for any W/E/A quad masters that AF could manage to get out, previously released or not.

Weren't you saying recently that pretty much everything from Warners was a long shot at this point?

There are so many good quad mixes under the Warners umbrella - I'd be grateful for any W/E/A quad masters that AF could manage to get out, previously released or not.

As we're seeing with Analogue Productions, Audio Fidelity and Dutton Vocalion, I think albums from the Sony Music catalog are the most likely ones from the major record companies to appear as Multichannel SACDs from the reissue labels these days.

I mean, "The Guitar Man" was a hit and is one of their most enduring songs.

Great song, but are there many others considered as classics after this? (I don't know, I only got introduced to this song in the last ten years or so.)

Back