Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was more or less referring to the unreleased Doobie Brothers, Joni Mitchell, Seals and Croft, The Eagles, Maria Muldaur and other former CD~4 Warner releases which are seemingly unavailable for QUAD SACD reissue. And there are a slew of other worthy Warner QUAD titles which, IMO, are worthy candidates for hi res physical disc release. I know Adam [fredblue] and other posters have them on CD~4 vinyl.

we've already had a couple of Warner's big hitters with AF's Doors & Bread Quad SACDs.. plus the amazing thing of getting the previously unreleased Spectrum Quad from AF.. wow.. but what's left of the Warner/Elektra/Asylum & Atlantic/Atco Quads that's really essential - and has great mixes - and will sell well enough to justify doing?

not a great deal really, I'd say.. Doobies definitely.. beyond that.. The Eagles.. the other Alice Cooper.. maybe Carly Simon's Best Of, the Joni Mitchell's would probably be sought after at this point too.. personally would like the Roberta Flack, Donny Hathaway & Spinners Quads but black music's a hard sell in Quad it seems..
also, would be fun to have one of the real discrete workouts like Stardrive's Intergalactic Trot (I can't imagine licensing that would be very onerous or expensive!) but what else is there? The Seals & Crofts mixes are pretty underwhelming, the Maria Muldaur is really not a great album (imho!).. Warners have themselves scotched the possibility of Quad reissues of Black Sabbath & Bette Midler, such a shame.. and the rest is either crappy albums by artists that couldn't get arrested now let alone shift product.. and/or mediocre mixes.

I'm focusing my attention (and hopes!) elsewhere at this point.. the Sony vaults are where its at, for me (still almost all of the best mixes I've heard were on Columbia/Epic/PIR etc. and some great RCA ones too) and lots of artists and genres to choose from that come under Sony's umbrella I would say :)

I read after a comment from Brian that they have stopped completely.

No, I said that Audio Fidelity has moved to a program like Acoustic Sounds where SACDs with Surround Sound would be on a more selective basis.

On Warner Music, as always it depends on getting artist and record label approval for an optical disc reissue (SACD or otherwise).
And a licensing rate that pencils out in today's reissue market.

I'd love to see Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" album on Multichannel SACD. It's a great album that Columbia overlooked when they were putting out SACD's, and the discrete quad mix is excellent. The SQ LP didn't do it justice.

I'd love to see Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" album on Multichannel SACD. It's a great album that Columbia overlooked when they were putting out SACD's, and the discrete quad mix is excellent. The SQ LP didn't do it justice.

Unfortunately, Paul Simon (and maybe Art Garfunkel too) is opposed to such a reissue, which is a shame, but I would definitely buy a Multichannel SACD of an album like that one.

No, I said that Audio Fidelity has moved to a program like Acoustic Sounds where SACDs with Surround Sound would be on a more selective basis.

On Warner Music, as always it depends on getting artist and record label approval for an optical disc reissue (SACD or otherwise).
And a licensing rate that pencils out in today's reissue market.

BTW, Brian, ANY word on when AP will FINALLY release the James Guthrie remix of PF's THE WALL? Seems like eons ago he started remixing it into 5.1.

Unfortunately, Paul Simon (and maybe Art Garfunkel too) is opposed to such a reissue, which is a shame, but I would definitely buy a Multichannel SACD of an album like that one.
I think Art Garfunkel might be more agreeable to the idea; he did, after all have at least two quad LP's on Columbia. I have heard an open-reel quad tape of "BOTW" from Japan, and it sounded amazing. I can't imagine why Paul Simon would object to something that sounds so good.

They didn't overlook it. There is the matter of getting Simon & Garfunkel to approve reissues of their albums. :)

I think Art Garfunkel might be more agreeable to the idea; he did, after all have at least two quad LP's on Columbia. I have heard an open-reel quad tape of "BOTW" from Japan, and it sounded amazing. I can't imagine why Paul Simon would object to something that sounds so good.

My understanding is that neither Simon or Garfunkel has green lighted reissues of their catalog.

Curious,?

Do you think this young letter writer asked about the possibility of A.F. Angel quad SACD'S ?

20170714_213426.jpg20170714_213441.jpg

The full page .

20170714_213451.jpg

Do you think this young letter writer asked about the possibility of A.F. Angel quad SACD'S ?

Marshall Blonstein at Audio Fidelity focuses on musical genres he likes and knows.
That's why Audio Fidelity passed on Classical Music reissues on SACD in general.

A rare exception was Audio Fidelity's vinyl LP reissue of the movie soundtrack from Tron with music by Wendy Carlos.
Although one could argue that's more in the Soundtrack and Electronic Music zone than Classical.

On the other hand, we have enjoyed some Classical Music SACD reissues from Analogue Productions (Acoustic Sounds) and Mobile Fidelity.
That has included some 4 Channel Surround SACDs from the Vox/Turnaround catalog on Mobile Fidelity, now in the process of being closed out.

Marshall Blonstein at Audio Fidelity focuses on musical genres he likes and knows.
That's why Audio Fidelity passed on Classical Music reissues on SACD in general.

A rare exception was Audio Fidelity's vinyl LP reissue of the movie soundtrack from Tron with music by Wendy Carlos.
Although one could argue that's more in the Soundtrack and Electronic Music zone than Classical.

On the other hand, we have enjoyed some Classical Music SACD reissues from Analogue Productions (Acoustic Sounds) and Mobile Fidelity.
That has included some 4 Channel Surround SACDs from the Vox/Turnaround catalog on Mobile Fidelity, now in the process of being closed out.

Yeah, I just shot it up for QQ's to take note that that chap was so very" quad involved" rather historically , and he's still carrying the quad torch . :D

Also it was a very good question put in 75 .(y)

How about either Redbone album?
Johnnie Taylor's "Eargasm" (never released in discrete, only SQ) or "Rated eXtraordinaire"? Both really good soul titles.
Raiders Indian Reservation?
Guess Who Best of Volume 2? Road Food?
Santana's Greatest Hits? (Greatest Hits packages always sell well!)

Other than that, we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for classic Quad albums. Unless there's more unreleased stuff that might be able to get snuck out?

Laura Nyro's Christmas & The Beads of Sweat?
Big Brother / Cheap Thrills?
Sly Stone / There's a Riot Goin' On?
Sly Stone / Heard ya missed me, well, I'm back!

How about some Mac Davis titles? :D

Or could we start dipping into the country catalog?

Waylon Jennings?
Jerry Reed?
Charley Pride?
Michael Nesmith?

The Elvis Quads?

Just when is Audio Fidelity going to toss us a crumb, like one title with quad layer on it?

Just when is Audio Fidelity going to toss us a crumb, like one title with quad layer on it?

No multichannel releases in almost a year and the recent stereo-only releases of titles that we all know have quad mixes, like BS&T's Greatest Hits and Grand Funk's "Shinin' On", seem to suggest AF has given up on this series. It's a shame really...I bought most of them and they are all quite good. The AF quad release of "Full Sail" was the first time I heard that album and it has become one of my new favorites. If they truly are done, then the "Secret Treaties" disc was a worthy finale IMO. Was really hoping they'd get to more Columbia stuff though, especially the 3 Aerosmiths.

Good thing we have Sony Japan, Vocalion, and occasionally Warner/Rhino to supply new quad/5.1 material.

Today just got in the mail my number 29 Audio Fidelity surround SACD. Got them all!!!!!

So,

Do you guys think Audio Fidelity will ever release again another surround SACD?

Regards,

Very doubtful. I think with Dutton Vocalion now in the surround business licensing QUAD masters at a fraction of what Audio Fidelity was paying and charging less than half of the list price of one AF QUAD/5.1 SACD [and most of them ARE two~fers], why bother?

And just as D~V is taking flack for not fulfilling the wishes of Surround fans by NOT releasing classic rock/pop albums, Audio Fidelity has taken their share of 'abuse' from surroundophiles who voiced similarly negative concerns.

There's way too much rigamarole involved in dealing with the Majors with their insane licensing agreements and artist approval provisos, so, realistically speaking, we probably won't get what we really want.......so get used to that!

Back