Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming that Universal can find the tapes.

When I asked about the Motown Japan titles in Quad in the early days of SACD and DVD Audio, Universal told me they didn't have them. So unless they magically reappear, I think we can assume they won't be available for Audio Fidelity or the reissue labels today.

They could supply AF with the Quad of Diana Ross' "Last Time I Saw Him" (Universal saw fit to include the 4.0 mix in their Deluxe Edition.. shame it does diddly squat from a surround point of view, it's just downmixed to stereo on CD..!!) :mad:

Perhaps they've been suggested already, but I'd like to see the quad versions of Mike Oldfield's Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn from the Boxed set released - in fact, why not the whole Boxed set with Collaborations and a re-issue of Tubular Bells as well.

Perhaps they've been suggested already, but I'd like to see the quad versions of Mike Oldfield's Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn from the Boxed set released - in fact, why not the whole Boxed set with Collaborations and a re-issue of Tubular Bells as well.

"Tubular Bells" is in the Boxed set. A remixed version of TB was released in 2009, so I don't expect they'll release it again so soon. The quad TB was put out on an SACD that was the version from the Boxed set. You might be able to track it down.

Assuming that Universal can find the tapes.

When I asked about the Motown Japan titles in Quad in the early days of SACD and DVD Audio, Universal told me they didn't have them. So unless they magically reappear, I think we can assume they won't be available for Audio Fidelity or the reissue labels today.

Because these quad mixes were meant only for Japan, it isn't unlikely copies or originals weren't kept in US vaults, as there was no intention for them to be heard (much) by stateside fans (or anyone else). But even if the Supremes' compilation quad tape were to be located, if I were Universal, most everything about it is so disorienting I'd never sign off on such a reissue, and it's no more likely anyone would be able to go into the vaults and remix the best ones for quad that would make sense (like, say, using the master takes throughout).

ED :)

They could supply AF with the Quad of Diana Ross' "Last Time I Saw Him" (Universal saw fit to include the 4.0 mix in their Deluxe Edition.. shame it does diddly squat from a surround point of view, it's just downmixed to stereo on CD..!!) :mad:

That's at least a reasonable quad mix for the album, though the issue there (as usual) might be the commercial potential of Ross and that album (which I don't think is a lot). Rare Earth's GET READY, on the other hand, might do well with the crowd that that's iffy, too, IMO.

Because these quad mixes were meant only for Japan, it isn't unlikely copies or originals weren't kept in US vaults, as there was no intention for them to be heard (much) by stateside fans (or anyone else). But even if the Supremes' compilation quad tape were to be located, if I were Universal, most everything about it is so disorienting I'd never sign off on such a reissue, and it's no more likely anyone would be able to go into the vaults and remix the best ones for quad that would make sense (like, say, using the master takes throughout).

When I asked at the start of the SACD and DVD-A era, Universal said they were not found in Japan as well. So I doubt that has changed in terms of availability.

Interesting idea! Was much of Collaborations in true quad?

It all was, from the SQ vinyl box set booklet.

Collaborations.jpg

Hi Duncan

I think you misunderstood me, and I was being lazy too as I've decoded the vinyl... What I should have said is that I have this set decoded and I don't remember anything discretely quad on the "Collaborations" disk, much like there isn't much going on with the SQ "On Horseback". My apologies.

...I don't remember anything discretely quad on the "Collaborations" disk, much like there isn't much going on with the SQ "On Horseback". My apologies.

So I actually gave my Collaborations decode a bit of a spin last night (I figured out how to correct part of a disc that I partially mucked up and re-jigged/burned), and I was wrong about this one too. Plenty more discrete than I remembered.

Ok, these, guys are starting to get their shit together (from a TOTALLY egocentric point of view)..this is a a no brainer- I'm even gonna forego my "Is it REAL Hi Rez?" usual and predictable (Thank you Clint) comments...

Now, Brian , since you are on the inside fence here with the AF people (and Jon , and who knows who else too)...can we ask for the Jean Luc Ponty "Cosmic Messsenger" 5.1 "already in the can" mix?

Ok, these, guys are starting to get their shit together (from a TOTALLY egocentric point of view)..this is a a no brainer - I'm even gonna forego my "Is it REAL Hi Rez?" usual and predictable (Thank you Clint) comments...

Now, Brian , since you are on the inside fence here with the AF people (and Jon , and who knows who else too)...can we ask for the Jean Luc Ponty "Cosmic Messsenger" 5.1 "already in the can" mix?

Sure, we can ask about that one. When you say the 5.1 mix is "in the can" does that mean it is an unreleased 5.1 mix?

This mix is one that will make quad fans happy, and those who like their music in front of them, well, not pleased.

As with most Columbia quads, these are REAL QUAD, voices in the fronts, solo instruments in the backs. You will be in the middle of the players when you listen to this one. While there are no "hits" per se (no, "Glad All Over" is not the Dave Clark Five tune :) ), there are some tunes on this one that play well to the ear.

Another good sign that AF is doing its best to get into the Columbia vaults and dig out the titles that it can get from the archives that are still available and others have not already licensed in stereo.

And again, retire your Q8s and SQs to eBay or the deep storage closet. This will be the definitive release of this title, in stereo AND quad! (y)

People who enjoyed Bryan Ferry's Frantic 5.1 may recognize something..
("I'm goin' down.. down down down down down..") :p

How long before AF could do Jeff Beck's Wired (in Quad) since MFSL have got first dibs on it (stereo only of course).?

Sure, we can ask about that one. When you say the 5.1 mix is "in the can" does that mean it is an unreleased 5.1 mix?

Yes, Jean-Luc Ponty's Cosmic Messenger was one of those DVD-A titles that appeared on a couple of DVD-A pre-order lists (*) that never made it out.

Others included:

The Cars' 1st album,
Chicago X,
Doobie Brothers/Minute By Minute,
Michael McDonald/The Voice Of,
Little Feat - Dixie Chicken/Waiting For Columbus,
David Sanborn/Voyeur,
Christopher Cross/1st album,
Rod Stewart/A Night On The Town,
Paul Simon/Graceland,
Tracey Chapman/Debut,
Joni Mitchell-Blue/Court & Spark/Hejira/Ladies Of The Canyon,
Todd Rundgren-Sonething/Anything?,
Tom Petty/Wildflowers,
Madonna/Music & GHV2,
Alanis Morissette/Jagged Little Pill,
Jane's Addiction/Nothing's Shocking,
Beach Boys/Surf's Up

* primarily Warner acts but also some Capitol iirc.. lists were posted here (Mike Cunningham? Jon knows all about this) and originated from the early part of the 00's when DVD-A was in full swing.

Yes, Jean-Luc Ponty's Cosmic Messenger was one of those DVD-A titles that appeared on a couple of DVD-A pre-order lists (*) that never made it out.

Others included:

The Cars' 1st album,
Chicago X,
David Sanborn/Voyeur,
Paul Simon/Graceland,
Tracey Chapman/Debut,
Tom Petty/Wildflowers,
Madonna/Music & GHV2,
Beach Boys/Surf's Up

* primarily Warner acts but also some Capitol iirc.. lists were posted here (Mike Cunningham? Jon knows all about this) and originated from the early part of the 00's when DVD-A was in full swing.

Getting a little OT here, but maybe "Wildflowers" will finally be released in surround this year along with the new companion album "Wildflowers - All the Rest". After all, hope springs eternal! :)

Others included:

The Cars' 1st album,
Chicago X,
David Sanborn/Voyeur,
Paul Simon/Graceland,
Tracey Chapman/Debut,
Tom Petty/Wildflowers,
Madonna/Music & GHV2,
Beach Boys/Surf's Up

and, every single one would have ended up in my cabinet!!

Back