Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnny Mathis! That would be awesome...

I'm Comin' Home by Johnny Mathis, produced by Thom Bell of Spinners fame, would be an excellent Multichannel SACD! I'd vote for that one. Not sure it fits with Audio Fidelity's Rock focus.

No teasing comments please..LOL! Yep, I'm Coming Home was certainly not so similar to historical Mathis, but I loved that LP the first time I heard it. Very easy going, great tunes...some nice instrumentation. Killing me....a nice new multichannel would be amazing...

I'm Comin' Home by Johnny Mathis, produced by Thom Bell of Spinners fame, would be an excellent Multichannel SACD! I'd vote for that one. Not sure it fits with Audio Fidelity's Rock focus.

No teasing comments please..LOL! Yep, I'm Coming Home was certainly not so similar to historical Mathis, but I loved that LP the first time I heard it. Very easy going, great tunes...some nice instrumentation. Killing me....a nice new multichannel would be amazing...

Exactly. I'm Coming Home sounds more like a Spinners release with it's song selection, arrangements and Quad mix, than a Mathis album. So that would be a more likely release as a Multichannel SACD than say his Christmas Album which was released on Columbia in 5.1 SACD Multichannel. We will see. Again, not AF's normal type of release.

Now with the announcement of "Homecoming" by America being rereleased on SACD, I went back through the Warner/Rhino DVD-A Gallery to see what other titles AF could dig up for rerelease.

"Kamakiriad" by Donald Fagen and "Two Against Nature" by Steely Dan top my list, and maybe these could see the light of day again via the ETrain initiative.
I already have "Everything Must Go", but I would also support an SACD rerelease of this one if they could get it.
Alice Cooper? Maybe "Welcome to My Nightmare" but I can't imagine "Billion Dollar Babies" getting another SACD release after AF released a stereo-only disc a few years ago.
"Chicago II", "Foreigner", and "Workingman's Dead" are all probably off-limits because of Mobile Fidelity.
"Spectrum" by Billy Cobham, "Tutu" by Miles Davis, "Little Criminals" by Randy Newman, "No Secrets" by Carly Simon could be very likely candidates.

Here's how I would rank these requests:
1) Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad (ES mix)
2) Steely Dan - Two Against Nature (ES mix)
3) Carly Simon - No Secrets (5.1 DVD-A mix)
4) Alice Cooper - Welcome to My Nightmare (5.1 DVD-A mix)
5) Billy Cobham - Spectrum (5.1 DVD-A mix)
6) Randy Newman - Little Criminals (5.1 DVD-A mix)
7) Miles Davis - Tutu (5.1 DVD-A mix)

bmoura, am I right in saying that we probably shouldn't expect any Chicago, Foreigner, or Grateful Dead discs from AF?

Now with the announcement of "Homecoming" by America being rereleased on SACD, I went back through the Warner/Rhino DVD-A Gallery to see what other titles AF could dig up for rerelease.

bmoura, am I right in saying that we probably shouldn't expect any Chicago, Foreigner, or Grateful Dead discs from AF?

Good list. Some interesting titles in your Top 7.

On Chicago, Foreigner or Grateful Dead, I don't know. One of the biggest questions will be - Have these appeared on SACD or Gold CD from Audio Fidelity, Mobile Fidelity or others as reissues? To the extent they have not, they could be candidates for Multichannel SACD release.

RE : Carly Simon - unfortunately MOFI have announced recently plans for re-issues of:

Carly Simon – Hotcakes
Carly Simon – Anticipation
Carly Simon – No Secrets
Carly Simon – Carly Simon

Which is a shame - as the quad versions of Hotcakes, No secrets (or 5.1) or her self titled album would be great!

Chicago Transit Authority and Chicago VI have both been released recently as SACDs from Mobile Fidelity, so I'm guessing Chicago II and others will follow at some point.
"Foreigner" and "Workingman's Dead" have both been released as Stereo SACDs from Mobile Fidelity as well.

That makes those albums less likely to be part of the series. But if there are other albums by these artists that MoFi hasn't issued on SACD, who knows?

That is a shame indeed. Never heard any of her work in surround, but I would love to hear Klaus Voorman's amazing bass playing on "You're So Vain" in its highest fidelity! :)
The DVD-A is great.....

I just emailed my requests for "Kamakiriad", "Two Against Nature", and "Everything Must Go" to AF, and Marshall replied back saying "Good Requests. We Are Trying…"

Hope Springs Eternal! :)

Now that the 4 latest Multichannel SACDs from Audio Fidelity have shipped, Marshall Blonstein will be officially announcing the next 2 Multichannel SACDs in the series - most likely by week's end.

I can give you a sneak preview of that announcement with the news that the next pair of Multichannel SACDs from Audio Fidelity will be Open Our Eyes by Earth, Wind & Fire in 4.0 Multichannel SACD - taken from the original Analog Master Tapes, transferred to DSD Multichannel by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center and Homecoming by America - taken from the 5.1 DVD Audio edition issued by Rhino/Warner Archives.
do you have any opportunity to ask him if they have plans on surround hard rock acts?

The three Aerosmith Quads would be great. But Somewhere must be the Quadraphonic Blue Oyster Cult - "Agents of Fortune." This (until I can prove I owned it, or it existed) unreleased or really rare SQ Quad record would be great. The other "Blue Oyster Cult" titles would be great.

Hope AF will give it a go to look for unreleased Quads, assuming such things still exist. Very excited though about the whole AF MC series of titles.

I do. Any suggestions on artists and albums?
if we talk about reissues of obsolete quadraphonic, just i can recall quickly for 100% known ones, to have had issued quad in the past:
ZZ Top
Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Deep Purple
Jeff Beck
Robin Trower
Ten Years After
Johnny Winter
Steve Miller Band
Black Sabbath
Janis Joplin
Blue Oyster Cult
Rare Earth
Grand Funk
Focus
Alice Cooper
Mountain
Mott The Hoople
Ted Nugent
Joe Walsh
Edgar Winter Group
Rick Derringer
Three Man Army

and perhaps not as much as we (hard rock fans) would like but still list can be added.

there also hundreds of great rock performances can be dug out from KBFH and BBC quad vaults, if AF can get access to them.

As long as we're talking about rock....I would love to hear some (I know I've said this before) old Scorps and Judas Priest. I mean, their old stuff.

SCORPS -
Lonesome Crow 1972
Fly to the Rainbow 1974
In Trance 1975
Virgin Killer 1976

PRIEST
Rocka Rolla 1974
Sad Wings of Destiny 1976

Back