Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin Simon, that's a great title as well, along with Kraftwerk. And Otto's list says it all too. Just getting titles out has to be a herculean effort with many unforeseen hurdles. So, we must keep that in mind and enjoy the titles we get.

As it is, I'm dying for the titles already in the mail and coming down our way! :smokin

Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin Simon, that's a great title as well, along with Kraftwerk. And Otto's list says it all too. Just getting titles out has to be a herculean effort with many unforeseen hurdles. So, we must keep that in mind and enjoy the titles we get.

As it is, I'm dying for the titles already in the mail and coming down our way! :smokin

Very true. The twists and turns along the way can make you wonder how any of these titles get to the finish line and the market.

Now let's see.

AF has access to two major labels' VAULT QUADS

Sony/Rca/Arista:

Simon and Garfunkel-Bookends
Paul Revere and the Raiders-hard and heavy
The Byrds-Best of
The Byrds-Fifth Dimension (5.1)
The Guess Who-So Long Bannatyne

Warner/Electra/Atlantic:

Black Oak Arkansas-Street Party
Jimi Hendryx-Crash Landing
Beach Boys-Good Vibrations
Gordon Lightfoot-Gord's Gold
Foghat-Fool For The City
Jethro Tull-M.U.Best
Little Feat-Sailing Shoes (5.1)
Little Feat-Waiting For Columbus (5.1)
The Cars-The Cars (5.1)
Fleetwood Mac-Fleetwood Mac (5.1)
Jackson Browne-Naked Ride Home (5.1)
Foghat-Energised
Todd Rundgren-Initiation

a good start-derek

As long as we're talking about rock....I would love to hear some (I know I've said this before) old Scorps and Judas Priest. I mean, their old stuff.

SCORPS -
Lonesome Crow 1972
Fly to the Rainbow 1974
In Trance 1975
Virgin Killer 1976

PRIEST
Rocka Rolla 1974
Sad Wings of Destiny 1976

Who owns the Priest catalog? I would love Sad Wings or Pain Killer in surround!

I thought ES was brought on board to do some new mixes?

The agreement between Audio Fidelity and Elliot Scheiner is designed to get more Multichannel SACD titles to market. Not necessarily new mixes.

But the Christmas album by the New York Voices has a new Multichannel mix by Elliot Scheiner. As for future releases, we will see.

I love Derek's list, have quoted it several times in the past (although a few don't exist like MU) add Uriah Heep - Return to Fantasy while we're at it.

The subtext so far is some existing quads in best ever form as most likely to see the light of day and that is why I requested the Paul Simon title.

From QQ Happy New Year

sure everyone has own preferences but we all must admit - in the past (quad era) and in the present (modern 5.1 surround)
rock never have been presented as much, as jazzy, mellow pop in an advanced formats. curious why labels for decades ignores
this genre from point to develop more offers? i'm pretty sure rock fans margin of the market even for old acts, are way bigger
than for those pop/folk/disco genres.

The answer is several fold. Artists performing in the Jazz, Classical and Acoustic genres - and their fans - are more focused on quality sound which results in more interest and releases in high resolution audio formats.

I can recall one instance awhile back where a rock band was asking "how to add more distortion" to a planned Multichannel Hi Res audio release.
That kind of request isn't made during a Jazz, Classical or Acoustic session - or by their fans. And it does make you wonder how serious some artists are when it comes to high quality sound.

In order for AF to get a quad title, they have to:

1) Request a surround master from the label
2) Get clearance to release it (artist, label, publisher, etc)
3) See if the market for a STEREO SACD of the title is there (it hasn't been recently released by AF or another label)
4) Determine that the market will support the stereo/surround title enough to validate it's selection
5) Evaluate the source material to see if it's still good enough to use

Things like KBFH and BBC broadcasts have been released (some by Silverline) to little fanfare, and to be honest, the surround value on most of these '70s era live concerts is pretty pathetic.

The window on disc based audio software is closing fast. I think Marshall has moved pretty fast with his surround SACD product line so far. I am very glad to see that the current titles and upcoming titles are getting good reaction here. It's a great compliment to the work coming from the Steven Wilson/Neil Wilkes side of the pond. Between these two sources, we are in better shape than we could have possibly dreamed in 2008, when the well was running dry.

(PS - If you are looking for harder rock, you really should check out Kickhunter and Ogre from Quadro-Surround. These are excellent harder edge surround releases http://www.quadro-surround.de/english/avaiable_productions.html )

my understanding is - AF isn't to be involved in remixing but only reissue of existing surround titles, be it quad or 5.1 surround.
there actually they may as well pick plenty from previously released as lossy DTS-CD, DTS/DD DualDisc or DTS Audio DVD

That's true in terms of completely new mixes. But if you listen to the Multichannel mixes on SACD so far, you will notice that AF is "tweaking" the original 5.1 and 4.0 mixes in some cases.
To my ears, their tweaks are improving the final product (Breezin', Best of Guess Who, Winelight being prime examples).

In order for AF to get a quad title, they have to:

1) Request a surround master from the label
2) Get clearance to release it (artist, label, publisher, etc)
3) See if the market for a STEREO SACD of the title is there (it hasn't been recently released by AF or another label)
4) Determine that the market will support the stereo/surround title enough to validate it's selection
5) Evaluate the source material to see if it's still good enough to use

Things like KBFH and BBC broadcasts have been released (some by Silverline) to little fanfare, and to be honest, the surround value on most of these '70s era live concerts is pretty pathetic.

The window on disc based audio software is closing fast. I think Marshall has moved pretty fast with his surround SACD product line so far. I am very glad to see that the current titles and upcoming titles are getting good reaction here. It's a great compliment to the work coming from the Steven Wilson/Neil Wilkes side of the pond. Between these two sources, we are in better shape than we could have possibly dreamed in 2008, when the well was running dry.

(PS - If you are looking for harder rock, you really should check out Kickhunter and Ogre from Quadro-Surround. These are excellent harder edge surround releases http://www.quadro-surround.de/english/avaiable_productions.html )

Well said.

In 2015 we will see more Multichannel disc releases. And even more Multichannel releases as downloads than on disc.
The 6 Multichannel DSD releases today from Acoustic Sounds are just the beginning of what is to come. More news there soon.... :)

The first Boston album would be great. I talked to Brad Delp at one of his Beatlejuice concerts, and he confirmed a quad mix was done. bmoura, any chance you could put a bug in AF's ear about this possibility?

The agreement between Audio Fidelity and Elliot Scheiner is designed to get more Multichannel SACD titles to market. Not necessarily new mixes.

But the Christmas album by the New York Voices has a new Multichannel mix by Elliot Scheiner. As for future releases, we will see.

OK, fair enough. So what unreleased ES mixes are sitting in the vaults?

I'm a little puzzled...I'm glad to hear the quad version of EWF sounds great...when I saw Bruce Botnick associated with it I didn't feel so good after his efforts on the Doors catalog..what I don't understand is this statement...Bruce Botnick For Ears under the Quadraphonic Recording and Re-mix and Engineer..HERE

Did Dr.Robotnick do the Quad Best Of Doors?

A lovely set of surround mixes!

Back