Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bmoura said there was talk about commissioning a top artist to remix a new album into 5.1 [from scratch] for future AP 5.1 release. Perhaps it's this album scheduled for release or am I confusing the issue here?

That project did not come to pass.
I think we're more likely to see a slower pace of Multichannel SACD reissues going forward than what recent months has brought.

Still worth watching for. :)

I think we're more likely to see a slower pace of Multichannel SACD reissues going forward than what recent months has brought.

Honestly? I don't think that's such a bad thing. At $30 apiece, plus shipping (and for me, exchange) these are a bit of a luxury item. Don't get me wrong - I love 'em.... but I've found myself holding off here and there to make sure everything else is paid for before I splurge.

Two a month is a bit ambitious, especially if they're not solid-platinum titles. Must applaud a company for trying an experiment like this. You folks have certainly earned an A for effort!

Quad in 2016.... what a concept!

That project did not come to pass.

Just to be nosy, Brian, what is the AVERAGE cost incurred by AF to license, Master, replicate and distribute QUAD titles on SACD.

I'm sure it's been suggested thousands of times of already, but I'd love some great sounding Santana Quad discs. How about one like Caravanserai? MFSL released it five years ago so I think it could be done.

I'm sure it's been suggested thousands of times of already, but I'd love some great sounding Santana Quad discs. How about one like Caravanserai? MFSL released it five years ago so I think it could be done.

Even if MOFI's license for "Caravanserai" has already expired, I still don't think Audio Fidelity will ever release that one on SACD themselves.
The fact that MOFI's already released a stereo SACD of that title means that it cuts into AF's stereo audience, making it a harder sell for them.
Audio Fidelity are looking to release titles on SACD that caters either to just their stereo audience or to both their stereo & surround audiences.

Even if MOFI's license for "Caravanserai" has already expired, I still don't think Audio Fidelity will ever release that one on SACD themselves.
The fact that MOFI's already released a stereo SACD of that title means that it cuts into AF's stereo audience, making it a harder sell for them.
Audio Fidelity are looking to release titles on SACD that caters either to just their stereo audience or to both their stereo & surround audiences.

It makes sense. Although this comment from quicksrt on sh.tv gives me some hope:

Sony Japan are the only hope for an SACD from Santana with quad mix included. They recently launched a mini-LP series of SACDs (Jeff Beck), and are including the quad mixes on these.

It makes sense. Although this comment from quicksrt on sh.tv gives me some hope:

Yes, I think quicksrt is right. Sony Japan looks like our only hope for modern releases of Santana's Quad mixes, cause it looks like Mobile Fidelity has all of those albums licensed and lined up for stereo SACD releases on their label here in the US, and of course we can't rely on Sony to release them themselves…

I wish I was wrong, and that AP or AF would consider a hot Santana like Caravanseria in 4.0 on SACD. This would be a good sounding disc!

I really think that AF's 4.0 line, and a few 5.1 surrounds on AP influence other labels like Sony Japan who just love to repackage our culture and sell it back to us. When they saw the Chicago box set (which they once had all the rights to), they must have turned green with envy, and a kick in the balls. They are not going to want to be out done, I know this. They love deluxe packaging and fancy and expensive this and that, obi strips up the ying-yang. They are looking at the Chicago box and thinking "we've got to top this, look around and see what we can do". And Santana is staring at them in the face. The music biz has a lot of ego, money, power trips, rivalry, etc. in it I am not kidding.

Last edited:
I really think that AF's 4.0 line, and a few 5.1 surrounds on AP influence other labels like Sony Japan who just love to repackage our culture and sell it back to us. When they saw the Chicago box set (which they once had all the rights to), they must have turned green with envy, and a kink in the balls. They are not going to want to be out done, I know this. They love deluxe packaging and fancy and expensive this and that, obi strips up the ying-yang. They are looking at the Chicago box and thinking "we've got to top this, look around and see what we can do". And Santana is staring at them in the face. The music biz has a lot of ego, money, power trips, rivalry, etc. in it I am not kidding.

I'm counting on this. :)

I'm curious, have the previous America AF releases been good sellers? Enough to justify adding the Quad layer to a future release of Holiday? I for one would love it of course. Hearts has been in heavy rotation here so I'd love Holiday in Quad as well.

Anytime they follow up a release by an artist with another release by that same artist, I always think that they first one must have met expectations. Like AF doing a second EW&F title must mean that "Open Our Eyes" did well enough, another one was not too high of a risk.

I'd really like to know which AF titles were released that did not meet expectations, and if my personal favorites were sales toppers? Like did Alice Cooper sustain sales over the license period so far, or was it too much a cult album, and did only ok, and then nosedived? Was Mahavishnu Orch too out there for most listeners, or a simply hot album, and hot albums always do fine. Doors and Sly hits did fine, but Bread was a flop?

I guess we will know in a year or three, when they are all going OOP, and certain titles are more common on the used market, while others are not.

With you all the way! K-Tel.. haha.. i'm still hopeful AF might do another Quad collection one day down the line (red blobs or no red blobs!) with some more artists they either can't do complete albums for, or as teasers of artists possibly to come like BOC!

Can't say enough how super happy I am about AF working their magic on the "Secret Treaties" Quad, easily one of the most played out of all the Columbia/Epic SQ records I wore the grooves out of last year & earlier this year, its weird and wonderful and nicely balanced surround mixes imho!

This should definitely pave the way for Tyranny and Mutation...

This is funny, really. I knew the next rock quad would be a BOC disc, but Marshall did not say which one and I didn't ask. You guys always find out early anyway. I asked Marshall once how others found out so early, mostly because I did not want him to think that I was leaking any info, and he told me that there are one or two resellers that get over zealous and they put the stuff out there as coming soon.

Who said no one cares about disc releases these days?

I blame those Amazonians for bursting their banks and leaking all over da place! :p

Who cares? We care! (y)
Whoever says discs have had their day is talking out their bum! Some seriously shrunken numbers for sure.. but.. there is still interest, there is still a desire for this stuff! Personally, since AF went Quad these Surround SACDs of theirs they have easily been among my most anticipated releases, in an already healthy time for all us Surround nuts we get these Quad treasures better than ever.. so relieved AF are not stopping altogether if they are doing less but more of this quality = mega happy! :D Fredgar Winter They Only Come/Shock T/White Trash and Rick Freddinger All American Geezer Quads soon please AF? Peepul luv dem rekkids! :worthy

To be honest, this one ranks right up at the top for me as far as excitement. I cannot wait!

Ditto, mio Quadio buddio! :upthumb
Now I've paid those Amazon hoodlums extra in the hope it arrives in time for my 40th! :party
(I'll need cheering up.. only an AF BOC Quad on the fateful day will do it! No pressure.. :spot )

This should definitely pave the way for Tyranny and Mutation...

If this is a very hot seller, then yes why not. If it limps to the finish line then I don't know. But rock always seems more in demand, notice that in used Q8s, Q4s, and quad LPs. If the rock stuff is always in greater demand, does that not mean AF should release as much rock as possible? If I were them, I should would go for the hotter rock titles, I'd go straight for "Tyranny and Mutation" after this one.

It would be cool if this one did so well, that AF decided to add another title to their list of upcoming 4.0 layered SACD discs, rather than scaling back.

In fact, they need to scale back the easy soft pop, and ramp up the rock (if they can get the licenses).

Back