Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this is a very hot seller, then yes why not. If it limps to the finish line then I don't know. But rock always seems more in demand, notice that in used Q8s, Q4s, and quad LPs. If the rock stuff is always in greater demand, does that not mean AF should release as much rock as possible? If I were them, I should would go for the hotter rock titles, I'd go straight for "Tyranny and Mutation" after this one.

I think it'll do just fine - this album has never limped, that's for sure. I'd guess that Tyranny and Mutation would come along in a similar way to the follow-on titles by America and Earth, Wind & Fire - not back to back.

I think it'll do just fine - this album has never limped, that's for sure. I'd guess that Tyranny and Mutation would come along in a similar way to the follow-on titles by America and Earth, Wind & Fire - not back to back.

True true true true!! Fingers crossed AF do America/Holiday & EWF/Spirit Quads someday.. everything crossed in fact = eyes, ties, legs and shoelaces! :confused:

I wonder if there were ever any unreleased BOC Quads?
iirc Old Quad Guy once owned Agents Of Fortune on Quad LP.. hmm... I bet the first album was done too but passed over in favour of the current album (I bet as a follow on from that, that happened a lot and there's loads of unreleased Quads of earlier albums by bands we got later albums in Quad only!)

I blame those Amazonians for bursting their banks and leaking all over da place! :p

Who cares? We care! (y)
Whoever says discs have had their day is talking out their bum! Some seriously shrunken numbers for sure.. but.. there is still interest, there is still a desire for this stuff! Personally, since AF went Quad these Surround SACDs of theirs they have easily been among my most anticipated releases, in an already healthy time for all us Surround nuts we get these Quad treasures better than ever.. so relieved AF are not stopping altogether if they are doing less but more of this quality = mega happy! :D Fredgar Winter They Only Come/Shock T/White Trash and Rick Freddinger All American Geezer Quads soon please AF? Peepul luv dem rekkids! :worthy
I never got into the SACD format for stereo releases. I got into SACD strictly for the surround layer. And when Audio Fidelity started releasing their quad titles I leaped up and got excited. I have been a member here for a long time but did not post that often because the releases were so slow in coming before Steven Wilson, and Audio Fidelity decided to do something about that. 5.1 and 4.0 releases were very slow in coming, and I was not that excited about most of them. Then AF started dropping two a month, and 75% of their titles I was interested in, I got more interested in posting here after a years long void.

I never got into the SACD format for stereo releases. I got into SACD strictly for the surround layer. And when Audio Fidelity started releasing their quad titles I leaped up and got excited. I have been a member here for a long time but did not post that often because the releases were so slow in coming before Steven Wilson, and Audio Fidelity decided to do something about that. 5.1 and 4.0 releases were very slow in coming, and I was not that excited about most of them. The AF started dropping two a month, and 75% of their titles I was interested in, I got more interested in posting here after a years long void.

Same here, for the longest time I had little-to-no interest in SACD (that was in part due to a less than glowing review in What Hi-Fi magazine, late 90's I think? ..they basically weren't very enthused about the format in their review of the 1st Sony SACD player in the country and the Billy Joel Stranger Stereo-only SACD.. iirc the only disc they had to test the machine out on at the time and that combined with high prices of hardware and lack of availability turned me off SACD for years) down the line WHF never came to broaden their horizons much as a publication with Surround sound beyond movies.. they did and do mention Surround Music discs and have demo discs they obviously use to test kit but nobody on their staff ever seemed really enthused by Surround when I was a regular reader, sadly.. nor were they big supporters of SACD in general back in the day, which all put me off the format as there was a time I used to read that mag voraciously and pretty much clung on their every word! In the years since Surround has come to mean so much to me, SACD has taken on a much greater significance.. its a PITA from a rip POV but I do like the way you just load the disc up no matter what and away you go, it all kicks in, in surround!

And we haven't even gotten "Full Sail" yet. So we are still basking in the high-profile releases of Audio Fidelity SACDs with quad layers. I wish I'd have never heard about their slowing down on new quad or surround material. I just don't need to know right now, I'm having hot fun in the summer time. I quiet down when I want to....

Yeah, just give me "Tyranny and Mutation" next, and I don't need to hear about some slow down or pull back. I don't need David Gates, Judith, or Gilbert O'Sulivan. Then put me down for "Billion Dollar Babies" reissued with quad.

Yeah, just give me "Tyranny and Mutation" next, and I don't need to hear about some slow down or pull back. I don't need David Gates, Judith, or Gilbert O'Sulivan. Then put me down for "Billion Dollar Babies" reissued with quad.

Would you like a shake with that Sir? ;)

I know how you feel. I'm thankful for the Audio Fidelity team to have chosen a Quad Blue Oÿster Cult title as their next release.

Then put me down for "Billion Dollar Babies" reissued with quad.

Since Audio Fidelity already released that title as a stereo SACD, I highly doubt they will ever release it again as a Multichannel SACD, especially if they are slowing down the number of Multichannel SACD releases already.

Truth hurts I know..he's just telling it like it likely is my man.. I don't like it either.
I heard, that it is not off the table. I won't get into it here in this thread, but there is a way for that one to get out in quad on SACD. One needs to be creative and think outside of the box. That is all I will say because this thread is about BOC and Leon.

Since Audio Fidelity already released that title as a stereo SACD, I highly doubt they will ever release it again as a Multichannel SACD, especially if they are slowing down the number of Multichannel SACD releases already.

Yes, they are slowing down on the number of releases, and now likely it will only be white hot platinum type albums, ones that have hits on them, that still sell, and by artists that have proven to sell in the audiophile market. There's not too many albums can meet those tough requirements is there????

Let me be clear. I never said that I don't want "Billion Dollar Babies" to be released as a Quad SACD. On the contrary, I would love for it to happen!
I just don't think it will happen because AF's previous SACD release already eats away at their audience members who are primarily interested in stereo, and I find it difficult to believe that they could sell it again with the Quad mix included this time and make enough money in sales to justify the expense.
Plus, if Warner/Rhino get the itch to continue their Quadio program with single releases, "Billion Dollar Babies" would be one of their best choices for sure, so I think there could always be hope outside of Audio Fidelity.

But yeah, this is a thread about "Secret Treaties", so let's get back to talking about that! Just preordered this sucker from amazon! Can't wait! :)

Hate the Cult (their track is the only one I skip on The Collection), but LOVE Leon. My only worry is that this new release will be missing the bonus tracks that were on Steve's earlier DCC silver mastering of this. I also think that when the dust settles, the Aretha will have outsold the BOC disc. By a lot.

Not an album I'm terribly interested in either. However, it is nice to see that more and more bands/artists seem to be allowing the re-issue of their albums in Quad. I was under the impression that songs that appeared on "The Collection" couldn't have their full albums let loose. Interesting to see that not everything is set in stone. Hopefully, more and more groups/artists will allow usage.

Not an album I'm terribly interested in either. However, it is nice to see that more and more bands/artists seem to be allowing the re-issue of their albums in Quad. I was under the impression that songs that appeared on "The Collection" couldn't have their full albums let loose. Interesting to see that not everything is set in stone. Hopefully, more and more groups/artists will allow usage.

1. Many artists have had no problem letting their albums out in quad. There very often were no requests received to do so.
2. The "Collection" was a way to release songs from albums which Audio Fidelity was not going to consider for 4.0 SACD, not only ones which they could not get licenses for. As an example, Santana and EW&F are available for full albums in quad, but AF is not going to go for them due to reasons we've already gone over. The BOC album with a song on the Collection was not planned by AF as a full album SACD release, and not one that was unavailable.

The Song on "The Collection" by BOC is "7 Screaming Diz-Busters" from the album "Tyranny and Mutation", so I'm guessing we won't get that album released in quad by AF. "Secret Treaties" is a better album anyway... can't wait to hear "Dominance and Submission"!

When quad master tapes are found in perfect condition it inspires a lot of hope for other things being found in qood condition as well. I think in many cases these tapes are in need of baking before they can be played back for mastering to digital. But some really great things that we should have are there for the quad reissues. It is amazing that this stuff sits unissued for decades. I hope Kenny and Jimmy like what AF has been able to do for their quad mixes.

Let's hope that Full Sail and the Blue Oyster Cult SACDs do so well that AF is shocked at the turnaround in unit sales in the 4.0 series.

You know Ralph, I've learned so much with my humble little SQ Surround Master experiment the past 12 months.. among it all is that if one of these old SQ Quads pans out well thru that little decoder I just know the discrete master tapes gonna sound spectacular and have a wonderful surround mix (so far AF haven't let the side down, their Quad SACDs have all been terrific imho!) and it appears Full Sail is another one of their Surround titles that is going to "knock it out of the park" so to speak :eek: can't wait for my order to arrive! :p

Adam, I hope you don't think my remarks disparaging regarding your excursions into SQ/QS/CD~4 vinyl......believe me, I WAS there at the onset of the QUAD revolution in the early 70's, but when I heard what AF has done with the original QUAD masters, I wish I could go "back to the Future" and say QUAD was an encouraging format during those early days......yeah, if they had 180g SQ/CD~4 pressings, something 'remotely' similar to today's surround master, I'm sure MOST artists including the 'hold~outs' would've embraced the format and we'd ALL be enjoying EVERYTHING in surround today....but sadly, that was NOT the case.

Which is why I encourage EVERYONE on this forum and those many visitors to email Marshall @ AF with sincere thanks and encouragement to continue on with it's QUAD releases as, IMO, AF is THE only company willing to take this multitudinous risk in 2016 to release these old but brilliant QUAD/5.1 remasters.

It only takes a few moments but perhaps if enough of us email our sentiments, a miracle will happen and AF will acquiesce and continue on with a 'hearty' cornucopia of Surround releases.

ADDENDA: I just received an email from AF's CEO Marshall Blonstein (boy, that WAS quick): "WOW, thanks for the kind words...." will pass along your sentiment to the staff at AF...........and he went on to say that the Laura Nyro QUAD SACD was one of his favorites, as well.

Back