Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jazz fusion must do well for AF, as they keep going back to the genre for new titles to issue. I wonder which will have a quad layer, or if both.

That's great news for AF and us! :D

Thinking cap on.. what other Quads are there in a similar vein?

On Columbia & assoc labels, WR's "Mysterious Traveller" already done on Sony SACD back in the day (fab!) though long out of print of course.. would "Azteca" count?

There's the BS&T Quad without Clayton Thomas ("Mirror Image") which is very tasty and has a sorta fusion-y feel, love that one.

Chase "Pure Music" would be sensational on Surround SACD :D

If we're really going bananas.. how about Herbie's Secrets and Sextant Quads? :p

Maynard Ferguson's "Conquistador" pushing the remit a bit?

Jazzy territory rather than fusion, Ramsey Lewis' Upendo Ni Pamoja is a nicely mixed, nice sounding Quad imho..

Wildest dreams = "Bitches Brew"?? :yikes

How about the Vanguard catalogue?
Some great stuff there including (especially!) Larry Coryell and The Eleventh House.

Maybe some unreleased surround stuff, should be a few in the Warner vaults (Jean-Luc Ponty's Cosmic Messenger was a cancelled DVD-A.. oh how I'd love that!) maybe some more Billy Cobham Quad that never got released?
How about that Bruford one, Absolute Elsewhere or is that more Prog than fusion?

I wonder who controls the Blue Note catalogue (Universal?) would be wonderful to finally hear that unreleased 5.1 of Alphonse Mouzon's Mind Transplant..

Maybe some unreleased Quads of Mahavishnu etc ("Apocalypse"?) or whatever else they've got tucked up in the vaults!

That's great news for AF and us! :D

Thinking cap on.. what other Quads are there in a similar vein?

On Columbia & assoc labels, WR's "Mysterious Traveller" already done on Sony SACD back in the day (fab!) though long out of print of course.. would "Azteca" count?

There's the BS&T Quad without Clayton Thomas ("Mirror Image") which is very tasty and has a sorta fusion-y feel, love that one.

Chase "Pure Music" would be sensational on Surround SACD :D

If we're really going bananas.. how about Herbie's Secrets and Sextant Quads? :p

Maynard Ferguson's "Conquistador" pushing the remit a bit?

Jazzy territory rather than fusion, Ramsey Lewis' Upendo Ni Pamoja is a nicely mixed, nice sounding Quad imho..

How about the Vanguard catalogue?
Some great stuff there including (especially!) Larry Coryell and The Eleventh House.

Maybe some unreleased surround stuff, should be a few in the Warner vaults (Jean-Luc Ponty's Cosmic Messenger was a cancelled DVD-A.. oh how I'd love that!) maybe some more Billy Cobham Quad that never got released?
How about that Bruford one, Absolute Elsewhere or is that more Prog than fusion?

I wonder who controls the Blue Note catalogue (Universal?) would be wonderful to finally hear that unreleased 5.1 of Alphonse Mouzon's Mind Transplant..

Maybe some unreleased Quads of Mahavishnu etc ("Apocalypse"?) or whatever else they've got tucked up in the vaults!

As fun as it is to fantasize about what could possibly come in the near future, it kinda takes away from basking in the moment, the here and now of what "is" coming - which is this thread. I know I'm being a Debbie Downer here, but there is another thread for AF suggestions. I just think too many threads turn into "wishing well" threads. And then it goes from wishing for the ones we know - to requesting ones that are unknown to have even been done in quad.

As fun as it is to fantasize about what could possibly come in the near future, it kinda takes away from basking in the moment, the here and now of what "is" coming - which is this thread. I know I'm being a Debbie Downer here, but there is another thread for AF suggestions. I just think too many threads turn into "wishing well" threads. And then it goes from wishing for the ones we know - to requesting ones that are unknown to have even been done in quad.

Move it or delete it then, I really don't care, it's only words on a screen :)

Maybe AF have backed themselves into a 4-channel corner, and they now know that if there is a quad master available for one of their projects, then they have to utilize it. Their product is just too special, too uniquely high-end, and they have paved the way the last two years.

An Apple Pie without some cheese
Is like a Kiss without a squeeze

Remember where that came from???

Oh I love a good 4-corner Quad mix.. ;)

Move it or delete it then, I really don't care, it's only words on a screen :)

It's a forum with writing that is worth reading, and organized with a lot of thought into it. And your writing is just as interesting and important as anyone else's. That is why putting it in the right folder and thread should be considered. Ok, I am done now.

It's a forum with writing that is worth reading, and organized with a lot of thought into it. And your writing is just as interesting and important as anyone else's. That is why putting it in the right folder and thread should be considered. Ok, I am done now.

Fair enough :)

Anyway.. you'll have guessed already, seriously digging this news (AF, I mean, IF they're both in Quad, of course! :D )

I agree. This thread should be about Audio Fidelity releasing "Tale Spinnin" by Weather Report and "Musicmagic" by Return to Forever.
This Audio Fidelity SACD series continues to surprise all of us (me in particular) and for that we should do our best to support these two titles if they are indeed Multichannel and if they fit in with our own musical tastes and interests.
Wishing and speculation about future releases is fine, but I would rather discuss what is currently present to us, and if you ask me, this looks like a nice pair of some juicy jazz fusion! :)

I asked about that earlier in the year. Marshall said they wouldn't be doing the multi-channel for that as he believed MoFi had recently done the [stereo] album for SACD.

I asked about that earlier in the year. Marshall said they wouldn't be doing the multi-channel for that as he believed MoFi had recently done the [stereo] album for SACD.

That's correct. Because of MOFI's recent stereo SACD release of "Bitches Brew", we will probably never see Audio Fidelity release that title on Multichannel SACD.
:(

How about Live-Evil? I haven't found it in any upcoming MoFi listings, and it seems to tick a lot of other boxes as well, as far as desirabiliyt/viability goes: quad mix, but only released on SQ LP (and not one of the Mike Robin reels), not recently released on SACD (US 2001, Japan 2006). Not to mention the ridiculous all-star lineup which includes many of the future members of Return To Forever, Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Herbie Hancock's Headhunters, not to mention Ron Carter, Keith Jarrett, etc.

I agree. This thread should be about Audio Fidelity releasing "Tale Spinnin" by Weather Report and "Musicmagic" by Return to Forever.
This Audio Fidelity SACD series continues to surprise all of us (me in particular) and for that we should do our best to support these two titles if they are indeed Multichannel and if they fit in with our own musical tastes and interests.
Wishing and speculation about future releases is fine, but I would rather discuss what is currently present to us, and if you ask me, this looks like a nice pair of some juicy jazz fusion! :)

I don't know how this thread turned into what it did, but it's supposed to be the 'Suggestions...' thread. That what is says at the top of the page, and that's what I clicked through my e-mail...

I don't know how this thread turned into what it did, but it's supposed to be the 'Suggestions...' thread. That what is says at the top of the page, and that's what I clicked through my e-mail...

I noticed that too. Two threads must have been merged by accident.

I think one of the mods moved posts that were considered off-topic for the thread about the Weather Report/Return To Forever AF SACDs to this thread, which is the generic 'suggestions for future AF SACDs' thread.

How about Live-Evil? I haven't found it in any upcoming MoFi listings, and it seems to tick a lot of other boxes as well, as far as desirabiliyt/viability goes: quad mix, but only released on SQ LP (and not one of the Mike Robin reels), not recently released on SACD (US 2001, Japan 2006). Not to mention the ridiculous all-star lineup which includes many of the future members of Return To Forever, Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Herbie Hancock's Headhunters, not to mention Ron Carter, Keith Jarrett, etc.

10 years is a long time in SACD-showbiz.. maybe AF will do "That's The Way Of The World" & "They Only Come Out At Night" on Surround SACD too if they choose to do "Live Evil" on that basis? :eek:
(Never gonna give up hope that somebody does those two colossal Quads someday! :D )

I suppose there is nothing to stop these two Miles Davis quads from coming out in Japan on SACD or am I wrong. That's if they still have the masters of course.

It is much less red tape and the cost is also lower (for Sony) when Sony Japan decides to do an SACD and add quad to it. Plus they charge more for it at retail.

So it is easier for them to turn a profit then it is for AF on a quad-5.1 SACD disc. I can see some more evergreen titles appearing from Sony Japan with quad included.

Last edited:
Back