Software decoders

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive been using the hotto.de software decoders for SQ and QS with good results, and there is now a Mac product Quadek, but have caved in and have a Sony SQD 2020 coming from eBay, I would welcome any other feedback on software decoders as I'm also setting up a UHJ decoder on my PC using software

If you look up
Surround Master

The SQ and QS in one unit
It is better than the 2020 and as good as the QSD1

Thanks I've ordered a surround master SQ, looking forward to using it with my SQ and QS vinyl, asked them if they had thought of adding UHJ ambisonic to it as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oxford Dickie released a decoding script for SQ via Adobe Audition 3.1 a while back. It worked well.

Has anyone managed to get Bruce Wiggins AMB file decoder to work on Windows 7 64bit, the dll for windows, I have

Has anyone experience of decoding UHJ ambisonics with Surround Sound Master?
David who makes it says it works well.

Has anyone experience of decoding UHJ ambisonics with Surround Sound Master?
David who makes it says it works well.

Playing my LP of Alan Parsons Project - Stereotomy -> Surround Master....

Sounds great...(y)

Also Cowboy Junkies - Whites Off Earth Now! - SACD 2.0 (UHJ Ambisonics) -> Surround Master... not bad compared to the 5.1 on the same disc...

What mode should I set the surround sound master too, I have the SQ version on order

Set it to Involve (QS) mode rather than SQ. Remember to turn it off if you switch settings.

I have the SQ version also...

I have played UHJ through Involve (QS) on the surround master
And have a UHJ decoder to compare with
Most UHJ recordings have ambiance in the rear channels and the Surround Master
does a very good job at that
I have a couple of UHJ recordings Alan parsons Sterotomy that has a bit of rear channel action and it seams to do a good job
and a electronic group called T.A.G
that has a track that swings around the room the Surround master does not move the sound in the same way
I do not have any UHJ disc's that give a surround sound track test

If any one knows of one I would love to find it ?

Last edited:
You do realise that a Surround Master does not have a UHJ mode, therefore while it might produce interesting output from all speakers it cannot possibly be what the mix originally intended.

I have played UHJ through Involve (QS) on the surround master
And have a UHJ decoder to compare with
I have a couple of UHJ recordings Alan parsons Sterotomy that has a bit of rear channel action and it seams to do a good job
and a electronic group called T.A.G
that has a track that swings around the room the Surround master does not move the sound in the same way
I do not have any UHJ disc's that give a surround sound track test

If any one knows of one I would love to find it ?

I'm not surprised. The Surround Master does a fine job with all kinds of matrix encoded material. Nice.

I'm not surprised. The Surround Master does a fine job with all kinds of matrix encoded material. Nice.

This is crazy. The Surround Master can only correctly decode matrixes it knows about. It is not psychic, it knows nothing about UHJ. The decode will be nothing like a proper ambisonic soundfield as UHJ intends.

This is crazy. The Surround Master can only correctly decode matrixes it knows about. It is not psychic, it knows nothing about UHJ. The decode will be nothing like a proper ambisonic soundfield as UHJ intends.

This is what the PO said, he never did say it decoded it correctly and he has a UHJ decoder-this is rustiandi who is an expert at this subject.

Thanks folks, I currently use the Blue Ripple Sound software on a PC to decode and play UHJ as I haven't got Reaper with the Bruce Wiggins Wigware VSTs and UHJ Sirs to work in real time yet

OK - Its not by the book, but it sounds pretty good, and similar to UHJ decodes...

FYI - I compared to OD's decode of the titles I tried. Have you heard anything via a Surround Master?

Back