SQ conversion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on this link: http://audioxpress.com/article/Cele...oXpress-January-2015-Is-Available-Online.html it is an article from the January 2015 issue of audioXpress Magazine. Here is a synopsis:

"In Ron Tipton’s article series about the continuing quest for realistic recorded sound reproduction, we discuss quadraphonic design and formats. Ron also looks at how to we can still playback existing quadrophonic recordings by simply using available decoding software. He also shares a few options if we want to create new recordings in quad mode."

I have not read the actual article.

This seems to be Andreas Kemp's scripts from 2008. Andreas is/was a fellow member.

It's is likely that OD's scripts are more advanced.

OD's stuff is now a "process", not just scripts. I have it on good authority that what his stuff does is not possible with scripts for any available audio software packages.

OD's stuff is now a "process", not just scripts. I have it on good authority that what his stuff does is not possible with scripts for any available audio software packages.
Whatever OD's process is, I can attest that it can produce some very extraordinary results. The degree of discreteness present in some of his conversions can often rival the results from more modern digital formats.

OD just took Lucanu's script , (which came from Andreas) and added an extra step, hence, the "process"...a conversion IS a process...

I haven't been following the software SQ decoding. I was just wondering what the Tipton-AX-Jan14.zip was and if there was a program or plug-in in it for SQ decoding. I've been using a Fosgate Tate for decoding SQ and have been happy with that, especially after the silver wire mods I've done.

I haven't been following the software SQ decoding. I was just wondering what the Tipton-AX-Jan14.zip was and if there was a program or plug-in in it for SQ decoding. I've been using a Fosgate Tate for decoding SQ and have been happy with that, especially after the silver wire mods I've done.

The Tipton stuff is considerably out of date compared to the best decodng scripts that are readily available.

I have no idea how any of the scripts compare to a Tate, I've never heard a Tate.

If you are using a Tate decoder for SQ decoding, you are in fine shape. On the software SQ decoding, I'm sure some of the folks here could tell you about the Tipton script vs. others. The SQ Final and QS Final scripts by OD are among the best available.

If you are using a Tate decoder for SQ decoding, you are in fine shape. On the software SQ decoding, I'm sure some of the folks here could tell you about the Tipton script vs. others. The SQ Final and QS Final scripts by OD are among the best available.

I believe that QS-Final was never made generally available. I personally don't rate it anyway, it put everything in the middle of the room as far as I was concerned. My minimum I would consider listening to for OD's scripts decoding QS is QS/II, and non of his /II processes were ever made generally available.

SQ*Final on the other hand produces entirely usable results. Yes OD's later SQ processes are better, but SQ*Final is OK. And a cut down version of it was made publicly available, which I linked to earlier in this thread.

I still use Lucanu's script, OD's scripts don't add much more separation ....besides, this is a a whole "technology of the obvious"(taking the best and building on it) that started with Andreas' script...
I am not degrading OD's work, just that, there isn't much improvement past Lucanu's script...

Here is the article mentioned.

I picked up a copy of the mag at NAMM Anaheim.

Poorly written with many misunderstandings of the technology.

Attachments

• audioXpress Quadraphonic January 2015 sm.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 173
Too bad so much misinformation has to be spread to the uninitiated.

Oxford Dickie was so incensed by this article he has written to the editor. Fun times ahead...

Good for OD. He sure is passionate about that stuff. I know he's had his ups and downs with this place, and he crossed the line here a few times, but deep down he knows his stuff and is probably just so into it that he can't tolerate it when things get out of sort.

I have great respect for OD's work too. I don't want to label anyone, but I suspect that like me, OD may have OCD as well as great passion for surround sound. Neither is a bad quality in my opinion, however, OCD can get in the way of playing well with others. Speaking from experience, not trying to say bad things.:D

Back