Matrix H Articles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kronos77 - Thanks for the snag of the .pdf of the issue from the Amerianradiohistory.com archives.

A couple of things I noted in reviewing it. First is that the 6 page article has a section on the end of the 5 page with the heading of "Setting up the decoder", followed by four bullet points. At the end it interestingly states, "To make the alignment procedure easier, the BBC say they will produce a special test disc."

A month ago, I did a 'matrix H' search and stumbled onto an old eBay auction that ended 3/27/12. It was listed as:

BBC TRANSCRIPTION SERVICE FOR AUDITION PURPOSES ONLY

"BBC RADIO PRESENTS MATRIX X" / "BBC RADIO PRESENTS A BROADCASTING MATRIX"

orig UK LP NOT FOR SALE QUADRAPHONIC DEMONSTRATION RECORD BBC TS 140672/3

BBC TS manilla sleeve, vinyl ex+

*****************************************************************************************************************************

From my checking of other known releases, TS #140672 was likely issued in early 1977. I wonder if this was the above referenced 'special test disc'?

Then on p. 78 where the article continues with component suppliers and acknowledgements, it has above it a line that states: "The next article will describe the alignment of the decoder." While this may refer to the end of another article on the same page, that one seems to be entitled for a 'Broadcast Stereo Coder'. [does this possibly mean encoder?] kronos77 or Duncan please offer your assessment here.

If it is for the Matrix H decoder article, then it possibly implies that there was to be a related follow-up article in the next issue, i.e. July 1977. Unfortunately, the Amerianradiohistory.com archives is missing that issue.

Also, there was a small article, unrelated to the larger matrix H decoder article that is interesting from a history perspective. Like the article I posted as #24 of this thread, it references the start of BBC Matrix H programming on April 30, 1977.
Wireless World Matrix H Article - June 1977.jpg
It also references related articles in the May 1977 issue, again which is unfortunately missing from the Amerianradiohistory.com archives.

Since these issues came out at the beginning of the Matrix H programming, I checked the archives for the next issue they had which was August. In it there was a 5 page article titled "Multi-system Ambisonic Decoder" by Michael Gerson. The synopsis says that the decoder works for Matrix H, along with other formats. It includes schematics and a parts list. You can see the .pdf at:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Wireless-World/70s/Wireless-World-1977-08.pdf

(sorry Derek!)

Last this issue also had an ad for another Matrix H decoder kit.
Matrix H Decoder Ad.jpg

Interesting history to say the least.

mrfloydin

I won't be home until Friday, so I have all the Wireless World's so I'll trawl the issues around the HJ decoder, I think the follow up article is about its set-up. Don't think that WW did an encoder.

The reference to MATRIX X is most likely a pseudonym ghost used to reference H or even HJ "in development" in my opinion.

HIFI RECORD REVIEW'S ANGUS Mc KENZIE mentions it in one of his reviews as well, but only because he thinks it was confusing when a BEEB DJ refers to one broadcast as being in X by mistake of course.

That being said, nice work so far gang, and welcome to others who are now starting to notice this thread.Welcome any and all.

I've been digging through my Wireless World archive, and there is a design for a 'Multi-system Ambisonic Decoder' by Michael Gerzon. Which decodes 45J, SQ, RM, BMX, & H. I've found Parts 1 & 2 (July 1977 & Aug 1977), Part 3 is not in the Sept. or Oct. issues, so I'll have to trawl further ahead. Intriguingly the May Issue from which I posted the article on 'BBC Matrix H' originally, has Surround Decoders -5 a Variomatrix based decoder, so I need to go back and find articles 1 - 4!

NB: I can't upload any images for some reason at the moment.

An advertisement from 77 that shows Sansui was involved in Matrix H20150722_134558.jpg

And a reply from the BBC indicating where HJ discs could be ordered.It's important to note these two companies were also producing ambisonic UHJ lps around this time. (1982)20150722_134656.jpg20150722_134701.jpg20150722_134619.jpg

As a follow-up to Duncan's post, I did some more in the Amerianradiohistory.com archives where I found the 1977 issues of September through December.

In the November 1977 issue, there is a small notice that says, "We have had a number of enquiries about part three of 'Multi-system ambisonic decoder' by Michael Gerzon. The publication of this article has been delayed but we will publish it as soon as we are able." That gave me incentive to search additional issues for part 3. [Note: I previously mis-spelled Gerzon's name as Gerson.]

Not finding it in the December issue, I moved on to 1978, which the archive has the entire year of, except November. I opened each issue and did a text search of the .pdf and did not find any article by Gerzon. I only found reader comments on his original article.

While it is possible that it was in the November 1978 issue, it would seem unlikely, as this would have been more than a year after the original parts 1 & 2 were published, the BBC had moved on to HJ by then, plus the announced 'one year BBC experiment' in quad would have been over.

I actually did start looking at the initial issues of 1979, but the text editor stopping working for me, so I couldn't assess whether it was in those or not.

The only thing I did find (which did have a reference to Gerzon) was in the December 1977 issue. It appears to be a clarification of the transition from H to HJ and implies that Gerzon was working on the refinement of HJ. Interesting technical and political details.
Wireless World December 1977.jpg

mrfloydin

Here is the one 'technical' comment/response to Gerzon's articles. I meant to add that to my post above.

mrfloydin

Attachments

• Wireless World December 1977.jpg
    Wireless World December 1977.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 221
  • Matrix H Letter 12-77 Response To Gerzon Article.jpg
    Matrix H Letter 12-77 Response To Gerzon Article.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
The first 2 Matrix H broadcasts that were unannounced by the BBC as being in quad, but later confirmed.The info comes via a report on quad broadcasting from ANGUS MacKENZIE (who was blind btw).His report is regarding 2 Proms Concerts from August 76.

The official broadcasting date for H was not until the week of April 30-77.Although they also demo'd for the general public and journalists the Matrix H BBC DEMONSTRATION DISC in Dec 76.
20150723_132618.jpg20150723_132624.jpg20150723_132632.jpg20150723_132648.jpg20150723_132652.jpg20150723_132657.jpg

Sorry guys, I went into my previous post to edit it, but now it has the article I wanted include, plus a duplicate of the previous article. I've tried to delete the repeat, but I can't find the way.

I finally found a copy of an Integrex decoder that had MATRIX H.I thought they had one, but could not find this picture until now.The picture says it all.20150811_191543.jpg20150811_191440.jpg20150811_191454.jpg20150811_191355.jpg

GENTLE GIANT-GG AT THE GG (BBC Sight and Sound) MATRIX HJ from 1978

Still available cd and dvd (got mine from "Burning Shed").Only the concert from Jan 78 is quad encoded, approx,1 hour of MATRIX HJ QUAD.
20150819_092729.jpg20150819_092802.jpg20150819_092911.jpg20150819_092919.jpg

GENTLE GIANT-GG AT THE GG (BBC Sight and Sound) MATRIX HJ from 1978

Still available cd and dvd (got mine from "Burning Shed").Only the concert from Jan 78 is quad encoded, approx,1 hour of MATRIX HJ QUAD.

Thanks for finding this, I've just ordered it, the more Gentle Giant I have the better! It also means I won't have to try to resurrect the concert from the silt damaged cassette I have.

Thanks for finding this, I've just ordered it, the more Gentle Giant I have the better! It also means I won't have to try to resurrect the concert from the silt damaged cassette I have.
I have this concert on HJ cassette, but this is far better quality and fidelity, plus the dvd provides the broadcast video alongside the quad soundtrack.This is a must own for any quadrophile and or GENTLE GIANT fan.

cd in MATRIX HJ QUAD

dvd in MATRIX HJ QUAD

2 for one

Guys,

Just a quick post with a tangential reference image of the cue sheet from the BBC TS LP issued from this performance. This of course was a stereo issue and not of the HJ S&S broadcast.

mrfloydin

BBC 169 IC Gentle Giant 78 LP Cue.jpg

Yes, thanks for that.

Not all quad broadcasts were made available via T.S. (transcription services).

The BBC T.S. were almost an entirely different entity from Broadcasting, that's why we see examples of stereo only copies of some quad broadcasts and in T.S., and broadcasts in H or HJ were issued in SQ (Jack Bruce) as they supplied other countries (U.S./Canada, etc).

AS cue sheets from T.S.quad issued material clearly stated, "recording available in SQ MATRIX, QS MATRIX, OR DISCRETE QUAD REEL".They would and could supply those formats upon request.(also stereo only)

Thankfully that GENTLE GIANT broadcast was not taken from T.S.and the MATRIX HJ Quad remains intact.

DAVID BEDFORD-INSTRUCTIONS FOR ANGELS. BBC MATRIX H QUAD

One of the very few H discs made available for the consumer (curious that the French edition was SQ encoded as opposed to H)

20150830_205314.jpg20150830_205324.jpg20150830_205339.jpg20150830_205350.jpg20150830_205432.jpg20150830_205440.jpg

DAVID BEDFORD-INSTRUCTIONS FOR ANGELS. BBC MATRIX H QUAD

One of the very few H discs made available for the consumer (curious that the French edition was SQ encoded as opposed to H)

FYI - There is a New Zealand pressing of Instructions for Angels that's SQ too.
attachment.php

Back