Bread and Grover Washington Multichannel SACDs - Official Audio Fidelity Announcement

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to agree that while I'll likely pick up a copy of this I'd prefer some titles that were not released during the quadraphonic era. I currently have Best of Bread on Q8, Quad reel, 3 copies on CD-4 vinyl, a dts conversion and a dvd-audio conversion of the quad reel. So, do I really need another copy on SACD? Likely not, but I'll probably buy it. I agree that I'd be far more excited about something like Eagles Desperado or the Eagles debut album or some of the other titles you list that were never released in quad or surround. Still, I'm appreciative of the fact that in this day and age that AF is doing anything in surround or quad.

I'm in the same boat. I haven't exactly been over the moon about (sadly) any of their releases thus far, but at the same time I'm infinitely grateful that there is a company out there with the juevos to try an experiment like this. I'll support their endeavor as best I can and pray that it continues and builds enough steam to get some great, high-profile titles.

Still have a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth after the Quadio program from Rhino. To jump on the Audio Fidelity wagon, I now have to go out and purchase an SACD player. Not exactly enthralled with that either!

But, I'm a pessimist.

I am all for AF, but this title does not get a lot of enthusiasm out of me. I mean, it's fine, it's quad and all. But it's not something I would be looking forward to hearing (again).

I'll support their endeavor as best I can and pray that it continues and builds enough steam to get some great, high-profile titles.

Still have a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth after the Quadio program from Rhino.
i'm afraid after start like this, there won't be high-profile titles.
it's really reminds "quadio".
another point - they looking for bargain, buy cheap - sell at top price.
unlike Bread and such forgotten acts, licensing of high profile titles doesn't come at bargain prices.

I am all for AF, but this title does not get a lot of enthusiasm out of me. I mean, it's fine, it's quad and all. But it's not something I would be looking forward to hearing (again).

Well I'm glad someone agrees with me. I thought I was the only one that thinks this title blows.

Licensing of high profile titles doesn't come at bargain prices.

And some "high profile" titles aren't available from the record labels for reissues at any price. For these albums and artists, licensing payments have nothing to do with it.

And some "high profile" titles aren't available from the record labels for reissues at any price. For these albums and artists, licensing payments have nothing to do with it.
could be. but i believe everything can be sold. question only, how much one willing to pay.
for AF such scenario doesn't work. how many SACD players in household worldwide? perhaps not many
and who in their mind would pay 30 to 50 bucks for opportunity to listen CD layer off SACD if they already
have those or these titles on CDs.

This was one I suggested to Marshall at the beginning so I am definitely excited if it comes to pass.

Best of Bread 2 was mixed for quad but never issued - I wonder if there is enough space on an SACD to have both of the albums on one disc....
Now that's what I call music......

This was one I suggested to Marshall at the beginning so I am definitely excited if it comes to pass.
damn, if he listened to your suggestion, why don't you suggested "Crime Of The Century" or Queen II?

could be. but i believe everything can be sold. question only, how much one willing to pay.
for AF such scenario doesn't work. how many SACD players in household worldwide? perhaps not many
and who in their mind would pay 30 to 50 bucks for opportunity to listen CD layer off SACD if they already
have those or these titles on CDs.

Obviously money is a big factor but sometimes getting the "permission" is more difficult than offering money....it's just not as easy as it appears

Obviously money is a big factor but sometimes getting the "permission" is more difficult than offering money....it's just not as easy as it appears

Clint is right. In some cases, for whatever reason, some albums and artists are just off the table at any price when it comes to reissues - even in Stereo, much less Multichannel.
That provides the answer to the oft-asked question "why don't they..."

On the other hand, more Multichannel SACDs are coming in 2015 from Audio Fidelity. So they are continuing to develop and invest in this area.
Some really excellent titles - in my opinion - are underway. It's going to be another fun year with AF.

It's also been a good year for Multichannel downloads with almost 700 Multichannel DSD downloads and 800 Multichannel FLAC downloads available today (according to Find HD Music) at web sites like Native DSD, Pentatone and most recently Blue Coast. And the good news is that in 2015 there will be many more Multichannel downloads coming.

2015 is going to be a very enjoyable - and musical year - in Multichannel. I'm looking forward to it !

You're not alone. I suggested this one to Marshall in the early days of Audio Fidelity - back when they were starting with SACDs by the Zombies, Searchers, etc.
Glad to see it hitting the finish line, in Quad Multichannel SACD no less!

damn, if he listened to your suggestion, why don't you suggested "Crime Of The Century" or Queen II?

Queen only care about money. They let anyone use their music. Complete sell outs.

I've read most of this thread, and - correct me if I'm wrong - I still don't believe we have any reason to believe this will be a multichannel release.

SO... Does anyone have any definitive information indicating that this will be multichannel?

Accidentally posted my statement above twice, so I'm going to use this space to say that I couldn't care less than I do about WHEN a piece of music came into existence.

I agree. I'd be willing to pick up a Vaughan Monroe SACD, as long as Sound Off is on it.

Because they were not released in quad or even mixed for surround as far as I know.

You can add Rob Reed and Andy Jackson to that camp as well.
not really. with due all respect, they just started and there not yet confidence if that's will have continuity. so we can only hope they will not abandon.
SW keeps this since "Stupid Dream" 1999 up to present days. on top of his own work, he pulled into HiRez/Surround bunch of other artists. so that's makes
very obvious Steven will not drop out off this camp.
Giancarlo has lesser profile (in fact in full range only since 2005) but already showed his own dedication to HiRez/Surround by having fourth album in row
with this format.
closest are Opeth, perhaps because SW influence, but sadly they do not offer even lone album in HiRez.
that's all i can recall.

Back