No Multichannel Downloads from Neil Young?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone actually tell the difference between 24/96 and 24/192? Heck, can anyone even tell the difference between 24/48 and 24/96? Nyquist would suggest not.

Before the people with those charts and graphs show up let me give you the condensed version of that answer...the answer is no...too much attention is given to 24/192...24/96..24/48...

I don't know guys. We've been patient over the years to see 24/96 accepted as the unofficial standard. I'd really hate to see things slide back to 24/48. When Steven Wilson started mixing it was strictly 24/48 but over time that changed to where he is 24/96. Can you tell the difference? Some will say yes some no.

So why is it we always get excited about higher resolution video? Why should audio be any different? My opinion is that resolution is a characteristic of the signal and if you can make it better then that is a good thing.

I've been content to watch Neil Young on his journey. Now that he has dissed the cornerstone of our hobby (5.1 surround music in the home) you could say I have some discontent to express.

From QQ Happy New Year

If you listen to his CES speech closely, it sounds like one of his big problems with 5.1 was that on DVD-Audio, the inclusion of a 5.1 mix often required overall lower resolution (24/96 or 24/48 instead of 24/192). Since his goal was 24/192, he saw that of a derailment of that mission.

192 range is unable to do 5.1. It is only at 96hz it is possible due to available space. shit reason to not employ it. the only 192 production I am aware of is the dvd audio "Everything must go" that has a 192 stereo layer. I can't tell the difference in that between the 96 hz 5.1 version. (The disc label is a mis-print it does not mention the stereo layer, but with correct equipment you can play it back- Denon will not decode 192hz)

I don't know guys. We've been patient over the years to see 24/96 accepted as the unofficial standard. I'd really hate to see things slide back to 24/48. When Steven Wilson started mixing it was strictly 24/48 but over time that changed to where he is 24/96. Can you tell the difference? Some will say yes some no.

So why is it we always get excited about higher resolution video? Why should audio be any different? My opinion is that resolution is a characteristic of the signal and if you can make it better then that is a good thing.

Without getting into a long discussion about audio keep this in mind...the range of human hearing is 20Hz-20kHz...we have been endoctrined into thinking that the bigger number is better...that's not the case...to be candid... sampling rates aren't as important as other factors in the audio chain...it just happens to be the data that is spoon fed to the consumer...just like the old stats for harmonic distortion on receivers "back in the day"...or like the recent contrast ratio figures on flat screen TV's(5million to 1..which is total science fiction)..

Without getting into a long discussion about audio keep this in mind...the range of human hearing is 20Hz-20kHz...we have been endoctrined into thinking that the bigger number is better...that's not the case...to be candid... sampling rates aren't as important as other factors in the audio chain...it just happens to be the data that is spoon fed to the consumer...just like the old stats for harmonic distortion on receivers "back in the day"...or like the recent contrast ratio figures on flat screen TV's(5million to 1..which is total science fiction)..
Just based on what I've been listening to for the last 12 years I could never be happy if 24/48 became the norm.

Just based on what I've been listening to for the last 12 years I could never be happy if 24/48 became the norm.
..if the other elements in the audio chain are done properly you wouldn't be able to distinquish 24/48 from 24/96..I doubt if anyone could make that distinction...it's like the placebo effect in medicine...you are placing too much importance on something that isn't that important...

..if the other elements in the audio chain are done properly you wouldn't be able to distinguish 24/48 from 24/96..I doubt if anyone could make that distinction...it's like the placebo effect in medicine...you are placing too much importance on something that isn't that important...

I'm not sure I could tell the difference. But to me it isn't so much a placebo as knowing it is reproduced as well as possible with little cost difference.
An ideal analog signal chain doesn't cut off at 20k and even if our hearing does cut off there, there could be sounds that influence our perception even if not heard.
Also, I don't believe in Nyquist. :alienrob: :yikes
Based on my experience with CD (compared to 24/96) vs. tape, bass needs as least as much if not more oversampling to sound as solid digitally as it does analog. Just an opinion, of course!

I'm not sure I could tell the difference. But to me it isn't so much a placebo as knowing it is reproduced as well as possible with little cost difference.
An ideal analog signal chain doesn't cut off at 20k and even if our hearing does cut off there, there could be sounds that influence our perception even if not heard.
Also, I don't believe in Nyquist. :alienrob: :yikes
Based on my experience with CD (compared to 24/96) vs. tape, bass needs as least as much if not more oversampling to sound as solid digitally as it does analog. Just an opinion, of course!

My point was the mere fact that a disc is 96 as opposed to 48 really doesn't mean anything....BTW...there are lots of sound engineers that don't embrace Nyquist...

I own the Neil Young Archives BD. Can I tell I difference between 24/192 and 24/48 on other media, yes. Can I tell a difference between 24/48 and 24/96, yup and this is true on almost every different media I listen to, whether it be DVD-A, BD, DTS-CD.

24/96 always sounds more natural and fuller to me than 24/48.

To me it's similar the difference between DD and DTS, just not as pronounced.

But the bottom line is, why wouldn't you want more sampling rate? It can only make it better and NEVER make it worse.

The higher sampling rate is simply more approaching nature. Machines start off with an inherent loss of ability to reproduce "natural" sound so why would it ever be a bad thing to try to get the machine to more closely reproduce nature?

Back