Black Sabbath KBFH??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I have seen a show on the net by Black Sabbath which claims to be a KBFH show which has a date of 8/05/1975. There seems to be a hole in the time line where this show would fit in. Anybody know about this? It would definitely be in SQ area if so. I downloaded it so I am going to put it through the Surround Master to see how it sounds.

I doubt it's SQ encoded - 3 or 4 tracks from this concert were broadcast as part of the 'Supergroups In Concert' radio series, but the full show didn't surface until about 10 or 12 years ago. Supposedly the whole show was going to be released officially, and then negotiations broke down or something and someone at KBFH leaked a DAT of the show in to trading circles. Subsequent to that a few of the tracks from this show ended up on the official live compilation 'Past Lives'.

It's my understanding that a fire destroyed all of the KBFH masters (ie stereo and quad mixdowns) some years ago, but it was later discovered that all the multitracks were stored elsewhere. That's why all the KBFH stuff that's been released digitally, both on CD and for download at places like Wolfgang's Vault isn't SQ encoded - it's not because they hated quad or anything like that, it's because the masters are gone so they were forced to do new mixes from the surviving multitracks.

I'm not sure if the original 20 minute 'Supergroups' radio broadcast was SQ encoded, although even if it was I'm not sure how much quad you could get out of a guitar/bass/drums/vocalist live gig anyway. Having said that, it's probably the best live audio document of Ozzy-era Sabbath ever captured, and a shame it's never been released in it's unedited form.

I have seen a show on the net by Black Sabbath which claims to be a KBFH show which has a date of 8/05/1975. There seems to be a hole in the time line where this show would fit in. Anybody know about this? It would definitely be in SQ area if so. I downloaded it so I am going to put it through the Surround Master to see how it sounds.

isn't great show?

I'm not sure how much quad you could get out of a guitar/bass/drums/vocalist live gig anyway.
with all due respect, cannot agree with you on this.
sure, there wasn't horn section or symphonic orchestra, supporting those drum, bass and guitar, but it seems just Bill Ward alone
with his drums and cymbals would be enough to fill up 4 or 5 loudspeakers.
that's a beauty of Black Sabbath. with such limited amount of musicians, ability to create such huge wave of sound :)

Back