"The Sound of Music" Soundtrack to get U.S. SACD Release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have this on an RCA red cased Q 8track.... The movie was orginally Westrex 6 track wasn't it?

I believe it was a 70mm Multichannel release in the theaters. As for the Q8 from RCA, I seem to remember it wasn't the best sounding release on Q8 - perhaps leading RCA and Sony to look at other options for the original release and reissues.

I believe it was a 70mm Multichannel release in the theaters.

Filmed in Todd-AO on a 65mm negative. 70mm prints would have five screen channels and mono surround, 35mm stereo would have been three screen channels and mono surround.

I half-remember some interview with Robert Wise saying he hated sound coming from the rear, though. Not sure if he had final say over the mix and, if so, if there's nothing in the surrounds.

Has this SACD been released yet? Are there any reviews?

It's been at ImportsCDs for at least a few months as of now: http://www.importcds.com/sound-of-music/793018365420

Have not heard of any reviews about the sound quality of this disc. I'm curious to know as well. A few years ago this was released as an import somewhere, so, don't know if it has same Mastering, etc,.

It's been at ImportsCDs for at least a few months as of now: http://www.importcds.com/sound-of-music/793018365420

Have not heard of any reviews about the sound quality of this disc. I'm curious to know as well. A few years ago this was released as an import somewhere, so, don't know if it has same Mastering, etc,.

Thanks for the link. I'd sure like to know whether there is any benefit in getting this version. Haven't seen any reviews.

I bought it from importcds.com and am impressed and bewildered at the same time. It sounds good to me, but I can't help feeling like the LP was different. I suspect my memory is at fault as I was about 12 or 13 the last time I had it on LP and at least a decade since I watched it on VHS. I think the songs are not recorded from the soundtrack, but studio versions. For the price, I recommend it. It is NOT a box set as they claim at importcds.

I think it sounds as good as it ever will get....the soundtrack was always mainly studio, with a few vocals that come from the movie in spots...and you can tell the difference...the studio vocals sound much better than a film vocal over the top of a studio backing track....the organ intro on Maria is excellent sound quality...

Back