HiRez Poll Guess Who, The - BEST OF THE GUESS WHO [SACD 4.0]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of The Guess Who - The Best of The Guess Who

• 10 - Excellent Surround, Excellent Fidelity, Excellent Content

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • 9 -

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • 8 -

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • 7 -

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • 6 -

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 5 -

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 4 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters
I'm really enjoying this SACD. Always thought The Guess Who was an under rated band. So cool listening to these tunes again in surround sound. Never thought that would happen! I would rate it an 8.5, as its getting a lot of time in my DVD changer.

I would rate this 10++++, but the sound quality is not much better than my Quad reel, I expected more from Audio Fidelity, so I'll only give it a 9. I love the panned effects on all the early Guess Who Q8's. I would love Audio Fidelity to release American Woman and Share the Land as well. The full centre vocals and panned effects work best with the traditional square, four corner speaker setup. I loved hearing these mix's on Q8 tape in the car back in the day. This is my idea of surround sound, equal levels from all (4) speakers, puts you in the middle of the band rather than just a spectator in the audience.

I have this album on Q8. I've even done a digital transfer of the Q8. It always sounded muffled to me. I figured it was the tape. After listening to the quad mix on the SACD, I see it's not the tape, but that's how it was mastered. The stereo mix is clearer. Also noticed American Woman has the full intro missing on the quad mix. Overall I give it an 8
I have the Q8 also and was hoping for the sacd to be not so muffled, oh well I guess they can only make it as good as the source. Still, one of my favorite quads. I still vote a 10!!!

It's been many years (close to 40, gulp) since I heard the Q8 of TBOTGH but I don't recall it sounding muffled on my LoFi Quad Receiver. I probably had the treble slider cranked LOL

I'm missing that great acoustic intro on "American Woman"

I bought this LP (in stereo) back in the early 70's, after buying the "American Woman" album, and remember being disappointed that the song American Woman did not contain the intro, which I think is an essential part of the song. I also have the Quad version, so I was not surprised that the intro was missing on the 4.0 SACD, as that's just the way it was originally. I was surprised to find that the intro has been included on the SACD - stereo portion and CD layer. So I guess if you are jonesin' for the whole thing you can still hear it, just in stereo.

The Quad transfer has some tape noise and the recording shows its age in sound quality and in mixing styles, however I am thrilled that Audio Fidelity has chosen to release these golden nuggets of the Quadraphonic era. Even though the 4.0 has some minor flaws, it is still the best transfer I have ever heard. The stereo tracks sound excellent. I am giving this one an 8.

I am anxiously looking forward to future releases of the Audio Fidelity 4.0 series!

Too much out of the rears, sometimes rears louder than the front speakers. Sounded more vaguely which is missing fresh ones. Not really great. My worst one of Audio Fidelity. Only 5 points from 10

10. The music is SPECTACULAR! It was one of my first Q8's in the day. It didn't disappoint. It's certainly one of my favorite Quads. Yes, there are some Quad tricks in the mix that will certainly get your attention. I thought about giving this a 9, based on late 60's/early 70's fidelity. The music is so damn good, fidelity is pretty good for it's time, and I mostly like the mix. So, it had to be 10.

All these resurrected Quads are like seeing an old friend that had a makeover. They're better than ever.

I now vote 8 for a solid quad/surround disc so I gave this disc a 7. I like all but 3 of the tracks but really how can you not get but that rumbly/tumbly feeling when listening to it. Some very great songs and very good surround but sonically not great.
A 10 needs to excel musically and sonically.

I wanted to chime in on the sound Quality of these AF titles. I don't disagree with folks comments, but Thank God these titles were Not sonically sterilized of what the original Quad Masters are and were. We now have an absolute "positive" IMHO of what the actual Quad Master was and can now go back and play CD-4 or SQ records or Q8, Q4 tapes and see how good or not, our vintage equipment was/is.

IMHO overall these AF Quad series of surround titles are Mastered wonderfully. They sound analogue-ish even though digital and seems to be as close as one can get as what it was like in the studios where they were mixed in the 1970s.

I wanted to chime in on the sound Quality of these AF titles. I don't disagree with folks comments, but Thank God these titles were Not sonically sterilized of what the original Quad Masters are and were. We now have an absolute "positive" IMHO of what the actual Quad Master was and can now go back and play CD-4 or SQ records or Q8, Q4 tapes and see how good or not, our vintage equipment was/is.

IMHO overall these AF Quad series of surround titles are Mastered wonderfully. They sound analogue-ish even though digital and seems to be as close as one can get as what it was like in the studios where they were mixed in the 1970s.

I agree with your points...some of us(like myself)never got involved in Quad and it's a treat for me to hear these...and I what I like the most about them is what you mentioned...they do retain that analogue warmth and when you consider the contemporary trend in mastering the dynamic range out of music...it is even more appealing...and I think they do stand up to many modern recordings quite well...and since content is king for me.. titles like this one are a home run...a part of our past we can re live...or in my case experience for the first time...

I agree with your points...some of us(like myself)never got involved in Quad and it's a treat for me to hear these...and I what I like the most about them is what you mentioned...they do retain that analogue warmth and when you consider the contemporary trend in mastering the dynamic range out of music...it is even more appealing...and I think they do stand up to many modern recordings quite well...and since content is king for me.. titles like this one are a home run...a part of our past we can re live...or in my case experience for the first time...

Well said my man.....I agree as well.

.... based on late 60's/early 70's fidelity. The music is so damn good, fidelity is pretty good for it's time, and I mostly like the mix. So, it had to be 10.

All these resurrected Quads are like seeing an old friend that had a makeover.

I think I´ve heard not the same disc. ;) I´ve heard it with no pink glasses. Also you must know, the 5/10 points, i mean only the quad mix, not the music. Many many mixes from the early 70`s are much better, more freshness, more power like Blood Sweat & Tears, Bread, Bensons and and and....

Back