HiRez Poll Guess Who, The - BEST OF THE GUESS WHO [SACD 4.0]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of The Guess Who - The Best of The Guess Who

• 10 - Excellent Surround, Excellent Fidelity, Excellent Content

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • 9 -

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • 8 -

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • 7 -

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • 6 -

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 5 -

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 4 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters
I think I´ve heard not the same disc. ;) I´ve heard it with no pink glasses. Also you must know, the 5/10 points, i mean only the quad mix, not the music. Many many mixes from the early 70`s are much better, more freshness, more power like Blood Sweat & Tears, Bread, Bensons and and and....

I have to agree. The mix is not in the same league as the Doors best of or even the Bloomfield mix super sessions.

This was an early Q8 I was never overly impressed with although the music stands the test of time.

I find I like the late Kurt Winter's contributions equally if not more, than Randy Bachman's guitar work, and Cumming's vocal's are commanding in my listening pleasure.

The SACD does sound and it's great not to have to listen to too much tape noise, as was the case with the Q8.Great job AF!!
The quad mix is somewhat gimmicky but for it's time this was experimental and mixed with the intention to showcase the rear channel addition.

I listened to this SACD a few times over the past month and forgot to post a review.This disc gets a nine from me.Hope to see more GUESS WHO quad in the near future.

I think I´ve heard not the same disc. ;) I´ve heard it with no pink glasses. Also you must know, the 5/10 points, i mean only the quad mix, not the music. Many many mixes from the early 70`s are much better, more freshness, more power like Blood Sweat & Tears, Bread, Bensons and and and....

I tend to agree that the release in not "all that" even though I AM a big fan of the music. This release is simply a digital transfer of the of the quad master. It is not a full blown remix a la the Steven Wilson Tull or Yes releases where there was access to the original multitracks. In comparison, those releases sound downright stunning. Its also not as good as the Pink Floyd 4.0 releases of Dark side and WYWH. There are even better AF quad releases as mentioned by Mam above.

If you consider this one to sound "analog" and you are using that as a compliment, then I have a very different idea of what "analog" does and should sound like. To me the fidelity here sounds somewhat muffled and the high end seems rolled off a bit. Cymbal crashes have very little brilliance and sparkle. And although I can't say its compressed, the dynamics are lacking. The analog I listen to is quite a bit better than this.

I love a really aggressive and discrete mix. And although this has its moments, it also has some panning that just sounds too gimmickry and amateurish (the swirling guitar lead for instance). It might have been good back when I was 17 in my Quad 8 track equipped Mustang, but to my adult ears some 40 years later, it's just annoying and ruins what could have been a superior mix.

That being said, it's not all bad either. Tape hiss is not annoying. No drop outs. No distortion. Excellent music. "Hold on to Your Life" is one of my favorite all time tunes, and Burton Cummings voice is one of the very best in the rock lexicon. All in all, I am glad AF released it. AF really had no say in how the quad master was recorded. It is what it is. It is probably the best surround rendition of this music that we will ever hear. I hope AF keeps them coming. I gave it a 7.

I tend to agree that the release in not "all that" even though I AM a big fan of the music. This release is simply a digital transfer of the of the quad master. It is not a full blown remix a la the Steven Wilson Tull or Yes releases where there was access to the original multitracks. In comparison, those releases sound downright stunning. Its also not as good as the Pink Floyd 4.0 releases of Dark side and WYWH. There are even better AF quad releases as mentioned by Mam above.

If you consider this one to sound "analog" and you are using that as a compliment, then I have a very different idea of what "analog" does and should sound like. To me the fidelity here sounds somewhat muffled and the high end seems rolled off a bit. Cymbal crashes have very little brilliance and sparkle. And although I can't say its compressed, the dynamics are lacking. The analog I listen to is quite a bit better than this.

I love a really aggressive and discrete mix. And although this has its moments, it also has some panning that just sounds too gimmickry and amateurish (the swirling guitar lead for instance). It might have been good back when I was 17 in my Quad 8 track equipped Mustang, but to my adult ears some 40 years later, it's just annoying and ruins what could have been a superior mix.

That being said, it's not all bad either. Tape hiss is not annoying. No drop outs. No distortion. Excellent music. "Hold on to Your Life" is one of my favorite all time tunes, and Burton Cummings voice is one of the very best in the rock lexicon. All in all, I am glad AF released it. AF really had no say in how the quad master was recorded. It is what it is. It is probably the best surround rendition of this music that we will ever hear. I hope AF keeps them coming. I gave it a 7.

Thats the way I hear it too although I usually like that "analog" sound especially with bass reverb...

Like I said in an earlier post, this is not a "showcase" HiRez release, it is what it is. These songs are from the late '60s, early '70s and were not recorded to be audiophile staples. These are AM radio power pop tunes. Those who own the quad reels will agree that even the difference between the Greatest Hits Vol 1 reel and Greatest Hits Vol 2 reel is quite noticeable. The GH1 album was never something to show off a system, other than the quad mix.

For anyone who may feel led astray by my 10 rating and previous comments, kindly go back and reread my post. As I noted, the music is STELLAR, IF you like that kind of thing. "I mostly like the mix" "Based on late 60's/early 70's (perhaps I should have qualified a bit further with AM rock fare)...fidelity is pretty good for it's time." Clearly, I'm saying that my rating is mostly based on the tunes themselves.

The mix is a bit gimmicky, though not as gimmicky as Santana Abraxas, for example, IMHO.

Audiophile recording this ain't. I don't care how much you filter, eq, etc. ANY Q8, it only sounds fair at best. If you're only listening on a car stereo or crumbpack, a Q8 sounds OK. On anything else, ANY Q8 doesn't cut it, IMHO. Taken in context, the 4.0 fidelity is LIGHT YEARS beyond my old Q8. In the US, there was no CD-4 of this.

The music is still wonderful! Perhaps I'm simply being nostalgic for when I was 18, and first popped this into my brand new Akai CR-80DSS. I'm absolutely elated to hear these great tracks in something approximating high fidelity surround.

For anyone who may feel led astray by my 10 rating and previous comments, kindly go back and reread my post. As I noted, the music is STELLAR, IF you like that kind of thing. "I mostly like the mix" "Based on late 60's/early 70's (perhaps I should have qualified a bit further with AM rock fare)...fidelity is pretty good for it's time." Clearly, I'm saying that my rating is mostly based on the tunes themselves.

The mix is a bit gimmicky, though not as gimmicky as Santana Abraxas, for example, IMHO.

Audiophile recording this ain't. I don't care how much you filter, eq, etc. ANY Q8, it only sounds fair at best. If you're only listening on a car stereo or crumbpack, a Q8 sounds OK. On anything else, ANY Q8 doesn't cut it, IMHO. Taken in context, the 4.0 fidelity is LIGHT YEARS beyond my old Q8. In the US, there was no CD-4 of this.

The music is still wonderful! Perhaps I'm simply being nostalgic for when I was 18, and first popped this into my brand new Akai CR-80DSS. I'm absolutely elated to hear these great tracks in something approximating high fidelity surround.

I'm a little disappointed that anybody should feel compelled to apologize or give reasons for giving this a high rating...one member gave a 5 rating...and that's fine...but everyone else rated this highly...this concept that is evolving on these polls about old vs new recordings certainly takes away a lot of fun....the idea that older recordings can't compete with the so called "modern" mixes is absurd..IMO...and when the content is stellar it should be rewarded...these polls were supposed to be..in part...a guide to buying titles for those interested.....I will certainly play this title much more than some others than sound better...

A guy I used to work with in the hi-fi business made a comment back in the day, "I listen to fidelity, not music." :yikes

I'll reiterate something that I've said here before, "I'd rather listen to Bessie Smith off a 78, replete with pops and clicks, than lots of modern ultra-high fidelity recordings of things that don't stack up."

I'm a little disappointed that anybody should feel compelled to apologize or give reasons for giving this a high rating...one member gave a 5 rating...and that's fine...but everyone else rated this highly...this concept that is evolving on these polls about old vs new recordings certainly takes away a lot of fun....the idea that older recordings can't compete with the so called "modern" mixes is absurd..IMO...and when the content is stellar it should be rewarded...these polls were supposed to be..in part...a guide to buying titles for those interested.....I will certainly play this title much more than some others than sound better...

I agree...at some point, it simply isn't fair to compare the sound of some to the more modern releases. It simply isn't. So, either we're gonna appreciate these releases, or not. I do........and I admit, that sometimes I get caught up in the "it doesn't sound as good as Steven Wilson" stuff......well.....that's a very high bar to hit and really we cannot expect some of these old quad titles to sound as good as others. So, either we love them for what they are....and vote accordingly, or trash them because they don't sound as good as Tull material (as an example)

Oh well....I think this is a moving target and of course, emotion plays a roll. Cannot be helped. I personally don't care if someone doesn't share my view of emotion of this release....as long as when I get home from work, I can put this on and all is good.....

Taken in context, the 4.0 fidelity is LIGHT YEARS beyond my old Q8. In the US, there was no CD-4 of this.

Agreed. The fidelity of Best of the Guess Who of Audio Fidelity's Multichannel SACD is far better than the earlier Q8 and Quad Reel versions. If you listen to it on a pro level SACD Transport + DAC like the EMM Labs or Playback Designs units it's even better sounding yet.

As to the Surround Sound mix, it's been tweaked a bit but it's still the original mix. So the comments about being one of the first Quad mixes are very true. I see it as a mix where the engineers were still learning and experimenting.

Overall, a major upgrade over previous versions. As my brother said when he heard the SACD, Best of The Guess Who never sounded this good before. I agree.

A guy I used to work with in the hi-fi business made a comment back in the day, "I listen to fidelity, not music." :yikes

I'll reiterate something that I've said here before, "I'd rather listen to Bessie Smith off a 78, replete with pops and clicks, than lots of modern ultra-high fidelity recordings of things that don't stack up."

I listen to fidelity, not music?
Talk about missing the whole bloody point.
Was this in the 70's?
Did he wear plaid pants and platforms?

Every Song is a winner here that we have heard many a time - cept maybe Bus Rider :rolleyes:

Very fun listen - yeah some of the effects are gimmicky - but every song is given new life.

My only thing that was a noted at the end of No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature - the fade out of the words Mother - Nature over and over seemed to be buried under the mix. Maybe my settings.........Snood can hear it but not as prominent as in the stereo mix. Maybe after a few sittings it will ring thru :mad:@:

Again sometimes the drums are a lil confined, sometimes not.

Stand out tunes:

These Eyes
No Time
No Sugar Tonight/New Mother nature - even with the fade out thingy
and yeah American Woman

7.5 for the Mix - 9 for the tunes - so about an 8

These guys would be millionaires if the 60s/70s were right now. So many great songs :banana:

I went with a 9 on this one.
This thread was quite the interesting discussion!
Killer songs. I'd only ever heard American Woman, which feels clichéd to me.
It's a nice surprise that TGW were capable of so much more.
Yes, sometimes this recording is lacking some brilliance, but not enough to kill my enjoyment of the material.
And the fidelity is understandable, given the back-story.
I probably never would have discovered this record, were it not put out on sacd. I think that's a side-benefit to this whole reissue movement.

When listening to this SACD, you have to consider the time and the source. This was once of RCA's early quads, issued only on Q8 and Q4 (as CD-4 wasn't ready yet) and the panning and spinning was done to really drive home the fact that you were listening in QUAD.

That was obvious upon first listening: someone at RCA wanted to be sure you were hearing Sound Around Your Room, and the panning effects, however contrived ("No Time"'s intro, for example, or the end of "Hang on to Your Life") made the point all too clearly, heh.

RCA was more of a classical and country label at the time, and their rock/pop acts were far and few between. This was one of their most popular acts, so they knew the Q8 would be a big seller. At the dawn of quad, the record company view was to "wow" the listener to get them to buy the hardware and software to get into quad.

By the late sixties RCA actually had a fair number of successful rock acts, compared to their pre-Beatles track record (except for Elvis, few and far between was truly the rule). And pop was always a major thing with RCA, but by the time quad kicked in, most of those acts (Harry Belafonte, Ed Ames, Peter Nero, John Gary) were in commercial decline or about to move elsewhere. Country would always be big at RCA, too, but the nature of such recordings (as we know) rendered an 'exciting' quad mix for most artists pretty much impossible.

Many of these songs were recorded on equipment that was really meant to crank out a disposable song, get it out on AM radio, and hopefully sell a lot of 45's. That being said, they are not going to sound like a modern recording (obviously), and no amount of tweaking or remastering would make them sound much better than they do here.

Generally, RCA (the dreaded DynaGroove process notwithstanding) was meticulous about sound quality of 'in-house' recordings (though it's the Nashville stuff that seems to me having been the most consistent in quality). But as producers and acts took on more power and control--the latter sometimes paired with unsympathetic producers and engineers--there became more variables in sonics. The Guess Who's material here is just such an example, and I suspect that the producer (Jack Richardson) was most responsible (for better and worse) for the band's sound and mixes, since RCA's Chicago studio should have been comparable to their east and west coast and Nashville pads.

A few years ago no one at this forum would have ever thought that we'd be able to purchase an SACD/DVD-A/BluRay/DVD-V of 40+ year old quadraphonic mixes in a store or via the web (other than hobby conversions), so the fact that Audio Fidelity is actually doing this is quite remarkable.

Absolutely! Relative newbies here may not realize how fallow the years have been until recently for a decent slate of MC reissues. Health issues aside, I'm determined to live long enough to see just how far AF can go with this series of gems, which--sad to say--will probably only be appreciated by some well after the fact, when prices go way up, or the discs are too obscure to readily track down.

I'd only add that one of RCA's problems was that, once they jumped into quad, they went with Q8 at the expense of CD-4 vinyl, even after the latter was readily feasible for most releases. That, and the volume of their quad releases, for a few years, was prodigious; perhaps too much so, because i wonder if some of the lesser titles in terms of mix and fidelity might have been because they were literally churning out dozens at a time, and not as much care went into some as into others.

As for this one...I've never heard it sound so good (and finally, as noted by others, clean and crisp without significant anomalies), but the nature of the mixes and the music still stand. This is a band I've always like a lot but could never love. I think their sound in the studio was way too clinical even when, as with "Undun" (a rare example) there was genuine passion. The quad album is also notable for using the 45 edit of "American Woman" but using the Lp version of "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature" and the dreadful "Hang on to Your Life," which I think was better off in its shorter 45 mode, shorn of some of its pretension. Still, I'm glad to have it and to hear it as good as it's likely to get. A low '8' here.

ED :)

Confession: I didn't pay much attention to the last two songs in previous listenings.

Don't miss track 10, "Do You Miss Me Darlin'". There's some GREAT stuff happening in this mix!

The quad on this one seems to make the majority happy, but unfortunately not me. I find it very flat, highs and lows seemed jumbled in the middle. One other member mentioned it was the worst quad mix of the SACDs from AF he has, and I agree. Usually I'm not far off from most other members here, so I'm not sure what gives with this one. Faulty disc? Faulty ears? Crappy equipment? Think I'll just chalk it up as an anomaly and move on. For what it's worth, I do like the stereo mix :mad:@: I gave it a 6, and that's mostly for content.

The quad on this one seems to make the majority happy, but unfortunately not me. I find it very flat, highs and lows seemed jumbled in the middle. One other member mentioned it was the worst quad mix of the SACDs from AF he has, and I agree. Usually I'm not far off from most other members here, so I'm not sure what gives with this one. Faulty disc? Faulty ears? Crappy equipment? Think I'll just chalk it up as an anomaly and move on. For what it's worth, I do like the stereo mix :mad:@: I gave it a 6, and that's mostly for content.

Some members on this Forum appear to like the quad mix. But you are not alone. Check reviews on the internet Amazon etc. I also have the same opinion as you and found the Quad layer marginal at best. In my opinion, the issues reside with the original Quad master tapes.

The Stereo mix mastered by Steve Hoffman is excellent and my preference for listening.

I posted a review on another site regarding my views on The Best of the Guess Who per http://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=10278

Last edited:
Back