Playing DSD Downloads on Oppo 100 and 200 Series Players

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drooling...my guess is Oppo won't disappoint...and I will gladly upgrade!!!!

We will see. In the meantime, the exaSound e28 is working just fine here with Multichannel DSD - up to Multichannel DSD 256. :)

It's actually $200 less than the comparable Stereo exaSound DAC with DSD 256 - the e22.
That one goes for $3,499.

On the other hand, exaSound recently introduced a more affordable version of the e22 - the e12 for $1,999.
That one eliminates the LED front panel, triggers and some other flashy features along with some plain metal work on the front panel - but retains the same audio engine.

If there was interest, I suppose exaSound could offer a more affordable 8 Channel version of the e28 as well. With some of the same features skipped.
Might sell for around the same price: $1,999 or even $1,799.

You'd have to ask George Klissarov at exaSound if they have ever looked at that.
Or had requests from music fans for such a product.

If you're playing music files (DSD and PCM) in Stereo or Multichannel via the USB ports on the Oppo 105, no third party music player software (like HQ Player) is used.
The playback is controlled by the software in the Oppo.
Let me add that one can do this, similarly, from a network connection.

Let's step back a minute.

If you're playing music files (DSD and PCM) in Stereo or Multichannel via the USB ports on the Oppo 105, no third party music player software (like HQ Player) is used.
The playback is controlled by the software in the Oppo.

On the other hand, if you are playing Stereo music files via the DAC jack on the Oppo 105D - or if you are using a DAC (not the Oppo 105) - then you would be using a PC or Mac and music player software for playback.
That would allow you to use HQ Player, if desired. Or any other music player software (JRiver, Foobar, etc.)
The 105, like the 105D, has the same USB DAC input on the rear panel. So I could use this input on my 105 to connect a PC source. Correct?

No. That was Oppo's response to my query about setting speaker distances. They said there wasn't enough processing power on the 105 to do that while outputting multichannel DSD.

Speaker Compensation is probably far beyond what they had planned for the player processing wise. Maybe in the next generation.

The 105, like the 105D, has the same USB DAC input on the rear panel. So I could use this input on my 105 to connect a PC source. Correct?

On the DAC port, used with a PC + music player software, the difference between the 105 and 105D is that the 105D offers Stereo DSD 64 + DSD 128 and Stereo PCM to 192kHz while the 105 DAC port is limited to Stereo PCM to 192kHz (no DSD playback).

Thanks Brain, will do. I am just getting into this hi res download and ripping thing, and like the Oppo105 even more, using the async DAC for stereo, which plays gapless. Now only to get gapless over ethernet :)
I am pretty excited about the following. As the USB Dac on the Oppo105 only accepts stereo files I play my multi channel flacs over the ethernet connection. I know Oppo offered various solutions in their firmware notes but for some reason I could not get it to play gapless. Perhaps I misunderstood the firmware notes.

But now....I found it by accident :) Using the Oppo media control app on the tablet I browsed to my NAS and selected the folder and first flac file. Because the music was not starting I pressed again on the file, a little bit longer than before, and there it was, a selection prompt for normal play and gapless play

image.jpg

Surprised as I was, I selected the gapless play and yes it works :)
On the now playing screen, the arrow in the upper left corner has now changed to gapless

image.png

The only disadvantage is that the embedded artwork is not visible, but that is minor compared to the gapless playback of multi channel files :)

Perhaps this option has been in the firmware/oppo app for a long time, but I am happy to finally have discovered it.

I am pretty excited about the following. As the USB Dac on the Oppo105 only accepts stereo files I play my multi channel flacs over the ethernet connection. I know Oppo offered various solutions in their firmware notes but for some reason I could not get it to play gapless. Perhaps I misunderstood the firmware notes.

But now....I found it by accident :) Using the Oppo media control app on the tablet I browsed to my NAS and selected the folder and first flac file. Because the music was not starting I pressed again on the file, a little bit longer than before, and there it was, a selection prompt for normal play and gapless play

View attachment 24134

Surprised as I was, I selected the gapless play and yes it works :)
On the now playing screen, the arrow in the upper left corner has now changed to gapless

View attachment 24135

The only disadvantage is that the embedded artwork is not visible, but that is minor compared to the gapless playback of multi channel files :)

Perhaps this option has been in the firmware/oppo app for a long time, but I am happy to finally have discovered it.

That's cool....but unless you charge your battery, you will have playless....instead of gapless. :) :) :)

Listening now to my very first stereo DSD 256 purchase (Purchased at lower rates previously) from NativeDSD.
Now with the exaSound I can purchase the higher rates, because I can play them.

So I understand this to mean that our Oppo 205's won't play DSD 256?

What Brian wrote in this article is a bit confusing to me:

http://help.nativedsd.com/handling-...guides/playing-dsd-on-oppo-machines-explained
I guess I'm confused because of this blurb below which only states that the 205 is able to read DSD 64 from the USB port. But then it goes on to say that the 205 can play DSD 256 from a Windows computer or DSD 128 from a Mac. So if I am currently using only the USB ports, but will consider connecting the Oppo 205 to a Mac in the future, what resolution downloads should I buy?

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 9.26.20 AM.png

So I understand this to mean that our Oppo 205's won't play DSD 256?

What Brian wrote in this article is a bit confusing to me:

http://help.nativedsd.com/handling-...guides/playing-dsd-on-oppo-machines-explained
I guess I'm confused because of this blurb below which only states that the 205 is able to read DSD 64 from the USB port. But then it goes on to say that the 205 can play DSD 256 from a Windows computer or DSD 128 from a Mac. So if I am currently using only the USB ports, but will consider connecting the Oppo 205 to a Mac in the future, what resolution downloads should I buy?

View attachment 39555
Page 40 of the manual explains some, but not about resolution, maybe because possible firmware updates. But Iā€™m thinking the DACs might have specific limitations? But I believe by pushing the music by a Windows program via hardwired network you can get to the 256 DSD. I believe the rear USBs wonā€™t handle multichannel, only the front and only 64 DSD. Iā€™m still trying to figure all this out myself; currently Iā€™m only playing dsf @DSD 64 multichannel through my front USB SSD. Also through the Network menu Iā€™ve played music pushed from my computer via Windows Media player, I assume thatā€™s how it also handles JRiver?

It can be a bit confusing since the Oppo players have different capabilities for DSD music file playback, depending on which USB connection you are using.

The USB "A" connections (front and real panel) provide Stereo and Multichannel DSD 64 playback using the Oppo disc player menus and software.

In contrast, the one USB "B" connection on the back of the Oppo players (labeled "USB DAC") adds Stereo DSD 128 playback (models 105, 203, 205) and Stereo DSD 256 playback (model 205 with Windows PCs).
When you use the "USB DAC" feature, a music downloads program like JRiver Media Center is used.

As was mentioned earlier, there is a tech note on this from Brian's Corner at NativeDSD Music

Back