Playing DSD Downloads on Oppo 100 and 200 Series Players

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good place to start is some of the download sites that offer free downloads to try. That gives you a chance to experiment at no cost. In some cases, in both Stereo and Multichannel DSD. For example, check out:

I went to the "just Listen" website. Downloaded a 256fs Multi-Channel....so...when I went to FooBar, it said it couldn't open the file. I know I'm doing things I don't understand...but what you think? What am I doing wrong?

Here is message I get...

Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported file format):
"C:\Users\Gene\Downloads\justlisten-JL001-JL001+multi-01_RICARDO-GALLEN---Fernando-Sor---Guitar-Sonatas---Study-Op.6_9__DSD256_5ch256.dff"

Does your soundcard support the sacd bitrate? Just asking cause mine doesn't support 88.2/176.4 etc, only 96/192. If I want to play this I have to use Sox resampler and set that one to 96 khz to play them, same with iso's.

Does your soundcard support the sacd bitrate? Just asking cause mine doesn't support 88.2/176.4 etc, only 96/192. If I want to play this I have to use Sox resampler and set that one to 96 khz to play them, same with iso's.

I guess I don't know - but also, it won't play on my Oppo 103. Should my Oppo handle it?

For PC playback your settings should be something like this:

foobar settings SACD.jpg

I went to the "just Listen" website. Downloaded a 256fs Multi-Channel....so...when I went to FooBar, it said it couldn't open the file. I know I'm doing things I don't understand...but what you think? What am I doing wrong?

Here is message I get...

Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported file format):
"C:\Users\Gene\Downloads\justlisten-JL001-JL001+multi-01_RICARDO-GALLEN---Fernando-Sor---Guitar-Sonatas---Study-Op.6_9__DSD256_5ch256.dff"

That is because the Oppo 103 and 105 players only play Single Rate, DSD 64fs music download files. The 105d also plays Double Rate, DSD 128fs music download files.
None of the Oppo Blu-Ray players handle Quad Rate, DSD 256fs files. However, Oppo's HA-1 Headphone Amp/DAC handles Quad Rate, DSD 256fs music download files.
For Quad Rate, DSD 256fs music download files in Multichannel, you would need an exaSound e28 8-Channel DAC or an upcoming 8-Channel NADAC DAC from Merging Technologies.

The DSD Database at www.dsd.sonore.us shows the 280+ DACs on the market capable of DSD music download playback - and which support Multichannel and Quad Rate DSD 256fs files.
With the Oppo 103 and 105, you'll need to stay with Single Rate, DSD 64fs files. Fortunately, almost all DSD music downloads are available in that format (either natively or via a down-sampled version).

That is because the Oppo 103 and 105 players only play Single Rate, DSD 64fs music download files. The 105d also plays Double Rate, DSD 128fs music download files.
None of the Oppo Blu-Ray players handle Quad Rate, DSD 256fs files. However, Oppo's HA-1 Headphone Amp/DAC handles Quad Rate, DSD 256fs music download files.
For Quad Rate, DSD 256fs music download files in Multichannel, you would need an exaSound e28 8-Channel DAC or an upcoming 8-Channel NADAC DAC from Merging Technologies.

The DSD Database at www.dsd.sonore.us shows the 280+ DACs on the market capable of DSD music download playback - and which support Multichannel and Quad Rate DSD 256fs files.
With the Oppo 103 and 105, you'll need to stay with Single Rate, DSD 64fs files. Fortunately, almost all DSD music downloads are available in that format (either natively or via a down-sampled version).

But Foobar will play them if your settings are correct.

But Foobar will play them if your settings are correct.

No.

The Oppo 103 and 105 players use their own playback software, not a software app like Foobar. The Oppo 105d adds a USB DAC mode for DSD 64fs (Single Rate DSD) and DSD 128fs (Double Rate) music files.
The Oppo 105 and 105d can use Foobar for music playback with its standalone USB DAC mode and a computer.

The Quad Rate DSD 256fs files can be played on DACs, including the one in the Oppo 105d, without DSD 256fs support with JRiver, HQ Player, Foobar or any music download program if they are first downsampled to another format - such as Single Rate DSD 64fs or FLAC. But that eliminates the additional resolution which the Quad Rate DSD 256fs resolution provides.

The easiest solution here is to download the DSD 64fs files on the Just Listen web site at https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/just-listen-1-compilation that have been made available for owners of DSD 64fs capable players and DACs, including the Oppo 103 and 105.

Just Listen - File List - Feb 1 2015.jpg

You're right about that.

That's the point of the Just Listen section on Native DSD.Com

It provides music downloads at various resolution levels for music fans that own DACs and players that support them (DSD 64fs, DSD 128fs, DSD 256fs and DXD).
Most DSD capable DACs available today support DSD 64fs and DSD 128fs in Stereo. Some add support for DSD 256fs (Quad Rate DSD) in Stereo. And the exaSound e28 supports DSD 256fs in Stereo & Multichannel.

Oppo 103 and 105 players only support DSD 64fs. Oppo 103 and 105 owners will want to download the free Stereo, Multichannel and Binaural DSD 64fs files for a listen.

The Just Listen web site at https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/ explains this noting:

About Just Listen
a Native DSD service label

Just Listen is a continuously evolving Native DSD service label, comprised of the site's label partner's proof samples in their original recorded formats. Additional derived DSD bit rates, and/or DXD format conversions are also included at the label's discretion. The samples are presented at no charge, in stereo, multi-channel, and even in some instances, binaural. The intent is to provide listeners access to the most advanced professional recording formats, both DSD and PCM, recorded at the highest standards of acoustic recording art, at advanced DSD bit and PCM sample rates.

These music samples generally include the original master recording in its native format. DSD down samplings and/or DXD format conversions are made via normal studio practice with professional digital workstation remodulation, or in the case of DXD (352.8KHz PCM) conversion, via Merging Technologies' Pyramix. This DXD conversion is the studio mastering process used for projects requiring post process mix operations. They are included to allow the listener to judge the effects, if any, of these conversions.

The objective of Just Listen is to provide listeners a music content toolkit of multiple formats and bit/sample rates of newly recorded acoustic music, to help promote comparison, discussion, and education. They are a back stage peek at the acoustic music recording process, allowing listeners reference standard music on their systems, to best judge present day and future music recording technologies.

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/just-listen-1-compilation

Just Listen - Intro - Feb 1 2015 - Full.jpg

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/

Then you will have to install the sacd decoder first, sorry I thought you had that installed. You can find it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/

OK Jan - I did download that decoder, and installed it (I think...I can see it listed in foobar under components)

But - I still don't see what part of the preferences SACD is listed. I don't see it still.??

OK Jan - I did download that decoder, and installed it (I think...I can see it listed in foobar under components)

But - I still don't see what part of the preferences SACD is listed. I don't see it still.??

DUH! OK, I found it. Didn't know I had to "double-click" on the tools button. I don't know why things like this give me difficulties. LOL!

Then you didn't install it correctly, Foobar has to restart after installing a component and it asks you to restart in a pop up screen. Just press install when you have Component selected in preferences, find the downloaded component in the pop up (maybe you have to extract it first if it's a rar file) and then press apply. Foobar will then ask you to restart and you should see SACD listed on the left.

Back