Playing DSD Downloads on Oppo 100 and 200 Series Players

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone interested in resamplers, a really good one that I tend to use is (SSRC X).

I found it here after comparing resamplers here. :)

Thanks, gonna try this one. At the time I was looking for a resampler because I couldn't play 88.2 khz files the sox resampler popped up everywhere I looked as being one of the best and I didn't pay much attention to this anymore (until now that is :) ).

Has Oppo implemented gapless playback yet?

Here's the gapless scoop according to Oppo Support:

For physical discs the player supports gapless playback. For user generated media, you must use USB and press the OPTIONS button then select Gapless Playabck. This will work for APE, FLAC and WAV files. Other formats will be added in the future.

Thanks Brian, will do. I am just getting into this hi res download and ripping thing, and like the Oppo105 even more, using the async DAC for stereo, which plays gapless. Now only to get gapless over ethernet :)

The Oppo 103 and 105 players are very popular when it comes to playing Stereo and Multichannel DSD and FLAC music downloads. Probably right up there in popularity with the iFi iDSD Nano ($189), Geek Out 1000 ($299), Blue Coast UFO ($399) and iFi iDSD Micro DAC ($499). And the Oppo plays Multichannel DSD and FLAC while the other 4 are Stereo only DACs with DSD and FLAC playback.

The Oppo 103 and 105 players are very popular when it comes to playing Stereo and Multichannel DSD and FLAC music downloads. Probably right up there in popularity with the iFi DACs for $500 and under.

Well, I'm a total dope. That's one side of my Oppo I didn't even initially know about. Not being a "download" guy, wasn't even on my radar....but it is now.

Next, someone will tell me it brews espresso......DOH! :banana:

Well, I'm a total dope. That's one side of my Oppo I didn't even initially know about. Not being a "download" guy, wasn't even on my radar....but it is now.

Playing your stereo downloads, or flac files from your cds or dvda, using the asynchronous USB DAC in the Oppo 105 works perfect. I only started using this recently, but it is very convenient to have your music on a NAS and play from there.

Multichannel files I play through ethernet, as the a sync USB DAC does not accept mch flac files unfortunately.

Playing your stereo downloads, or flac files from your cds or dvda, using the asynchronous USB DAC in the Oppo 105 works perfect. I only started using this recently, but it is very convenient to have your music on a NAS and play from there.

Multichannel files I play through ethernet, as the async USB DAC does not accept mch flac files unfortunately.

I wonder if Oppo worked that out on the newer 105d - playing Multichannel music downloads via USB DAC.

In the meantime, Multichannel DSD and FLAC files can be played on the Oppo 103 and 105 models via USB Hard Disk.
And that works fine.

Oppo probably added the DAC features towards the end of the product development cycle. That would explain why their newer products, like the HA-1 Headphone Amp + Stereo DAC, have more DAC features - including DSD 256fs support.

I wouldn't worry about that. Music downloads were just starting to get off the ground when the Oppo 103 and 105 came out.
There are probably many people who have the 103 and 105 - and still don't know that their Oppo plays Stereo - and even Multichannel - DSD and FLAC music downloads!

And it's worth noting that two of the biggest DSD music download sites - Native DSD and Acoustic Sounds Super Hi Rez - didn't even exist prior to October 2013.
That's less than 18 months ago. A lot has changed since then.

Today, we have over 340 Multichannel DSD Downloads on Native DSD, around 200 more Multichannel DSD Downloads on the Pentatone Music web site, Blue Coast/Downloads Now just issued their first 2 Multichannel downloads and several other download sites also have multichannel downloads.

Check the Find HD Music search engine at http://www.findhdmusic.com/album-search/?q=&srch_title=&srch_artist=&srch_label=&ch_m=1.
It has a list of over 1,100 Multichannel music downloads available today.

In addition, Acoustic Sounds Super HiRez has told Stereophile Magazine that the Super HiRez Multichannel downloads are just around the corner this year.
Along with more Multichannel downloads from the other sites. Including some that have never been available on SACD.

That helps to explain why we expanded the scope of the SACD section on QQ last year to include Stereo and Multichannel DSD Downloads as well as SACD discs.

So it's still early - and a good time to download some Stereo and Multichannel music downloads and get that Oppo to work! :)

I wonder if Oppo worked that out on the newer 105d - playing Multichannel music downloads via USB DAC.

In the meantime, Multichannel DSD and FLAC files can be played on the Oppo 103 and 105 models via USB Hard Disk.
And that works fine.

Oppo probably added the DAC features towards the end of the product development cycle. That would explain why their newer products, like the HA-1 Headphone Amp + Stereo DAC, have more DAC features - including DSD 256fs support.
The BDP-105D supports DSD audio in standard rate (DSD64) or double rate (DSD128 or DSD 2x) via its new USB DAC input. As far as I can see that is the only difference on the async USB DAC, compared to the 105.

The BDP-105D supports DSD audio in standard rate (DSD64) or double rate (DSD128 or DSD 2x) via its new USB DAC input. As far as I can see that is the only difference on the async USB DAC, compared to the 105.

I can play Multichannel DSD here using the USB ports on the 105. Is that also true with the USB DAC input on the back of the 105d?

Back