The Guilty Pleasures/So-Bad-They're-Good Albums Thread (retitled)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Having collected who knows how many thousands of slabs of Lp vinyl over five decades, it's obvious to me that there are truly bad, awful albums that never should have seen light of day, while others, misguided as they might have been (even for their intended audience) make me smile precisely because they are so misguided, ridiculous, and yet...charming.

Among recent acquisitions in the former (not good at all) category: Frankie Avalon's 1970 'comeback' album, I Want You Near Me, issued November 1970. The label (Metromedia) and production team (Jackie Mills, arranger Al Capps) helped turn the long-suffering Bobby Sherman into a (albeit brief) teen heartthrob. Thought I'd had this one in my collection, but my brother checked my 1970 stream of albums up north and said, no, not there. What could I do? :D But where Sherman managed some charm here and there (though he was no less a tool for Mills as Avalon once was for Bob Marcucci), Frankie did his crooner bit (also Marcucci-inspired, in case the teen gals suddenly stopped buying such likeable smarm as "Venus," "Why" and "Bobby Stocks to Stockings"), but he was scuttled by the precision arrangements and musicianship that only guys working on the clock could provide (who do you think played on those old elevator Muzak tapes? Professionals who played perfectly--and anonymously). The album sank, and rightly so.

Then there is one of Bachelor Pad Music's key players, the late (not great but always interesting) Enoch Light. From Grand Award to Command and then Project 3, Light was a key player in popularizing stereophonic sound to the adult American masses (with help from Columbia and RCA Victor). He was indie at first, and his various Persuasive, Provocative and Light Brigade albums are fun to hear just for the wide mixes and 'you are in the studio' sound (because many listeners owned stand-alone consoles with fixed speaker placement, he--and some others--widened the sound field as much as possible).

When Enoch founded Project 3 in 1966 he was also interested in getting more 'hip' (insert red flag here) and that included signing such dubiously talented acts as the Free Design and the Kissin' Cousins. Anyway, dozens of P3 albums were issued in quad, EXCEPT (as far as I know) the Enoch Light Singers albums. Why? Can't say, but that's too bad, because these albums are gems of badness. Why? Because Light took the formula that Conniff and Johnny Mann used for an audience afraid of a bee buzzing outside their window and concocted a mix of brassy (yet predictable and boring) arrangements and singers whose collective voices sounded like overenthusiastic suburban boys'n'girls too enervated with caffeine and stock portfolios to realize what they were recording was really utter crap. 12 Smash Hits 12 from 1968 is worth hearing just for the opening cut, Boyce & Hart's "I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight?"

But as any organic matter will go back to the earth, sea and air and, in time, allow something positive and beautiful and bountiful to grow again anew, so Light's work probably was heard by others who should have known better and continued down that mild, dandelion, weed-laden path. But I really dig the Singers' work, because the voices add to the kitsch, the silliness of taking certain songs utterly unfit for such adaptation and...adapting them anyway (another nice vice of Muzak--nothing like hearing "Light My Fire" in that format, though you do get to think about the melody and how unique it actually is, when isolated in that way).

Anyway, what albums do you actively dislike not just because you don't dig the sound or genre, but well....it just doesn't work for ya? And what albums make you smile and enjoy (if only a little) in spite of yourself, which you know in your heart and soul aren't that good?

ED :)

Hehe - I love this topic. But, will take me time to participate....but I have a real quick one. No egg throwing allowed...lmao

So, I have this sort of sick fascination with...

THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY! hahaha. Yeah. Hearing those harmonies and nice little keyboard moments do bring a smile to my face...yet I know...musically it's pretty shallow.

I agree about Enoch Light - the quad mixes are great, but the music is generally bland at best....

BTW - I scare myself that I love "The Free Design - Kites are Fun" in quad... fabulous "Sunshine Pop".

Well the ones that don;t work for Snood..............hmmmmm

Any Radiohead Album after OK COMPUTER.............just doesn't do it for me. The BEnds is one of my faves and OK COmputer has it's moments, but after that...............whaaaaaaaaa

Snood might get flamed for this.........me and my buds knew it was cheesy, it was like an inside joke it was summer, but the more we played it the more we likeyed. Ugh - Snood has it on Vinyl and Cd now

Debbie Gibson - Out of The Blue :yikes yep

Hehe - I love this topic. But, will take me time to participate....but I have a real quick one. No egg throwing allowed...lmao

So, I have this sort of sick fascination with...

THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY! hahaha. Yeah. Hearing those harmonies and nice little keyboard moments do bring a smile to my face...yet I know...musically it's pretty shallow.

Snood has all the Partridge Family stuff on Vinyl and CD............nice one GOS :banana:

Snood has all the Partridge Family stuff on Vinyl and CD............nice one GOS :banana:

Well, your love of the Partridge gang might explain a few things, Snoody...:D

But we go back to the 'professional hacks' thing yet again...since only Shirley Jones and stepson David Cassidy did any singing (and the focus was understandably on heartthrob David). And of course many of the musicians involved in these recordings also worked for some great talent that wanted them on some of their best recordings. But while "I Think I Love You" and "I'll Meet You Halfway" do have a little charm going for them, these albums were a vehicle for the show, the show a vehicle for the albums. That was true of the Monkees, too, but the difference is that, once put together, the group eventually got together and helped take some control of the music (and Mike Nesmith was apparently confident enough to make sure he and his song would get their place, regardless of who else was in the studio). That, and the Monkees had many major talents in all facets of their recordings that makes the Partridge material come off as the pro piffle it really was. Mike Melvoin? Talented, but when he tried to do his own thing, nobody cared. Session man? Much better money, and he's a major part of the PF sound. No stretch for him, but can't imagine it was very satisfying beyond a nice bank account.

This thread is basically ..."Guilty Pleasures"...so, the first person who is free of guilt should cast the first stone... and then, a stone hit the guilty ...that's when Jesus went..."Mommm!"..love it...just give me everybody some time to list them...I'll confess to a couple of them....

But we go back to the 'professional hacks' thing yet again...since only Shirley Jones and stepson David Cassidy did any singing (and the focus was understandably on heartthrob David). And of course many of the musicians involved in these recordings also worked for some great talent that wanted them on some of their best recordings. But while "I Think I Love You" and "I'll Meet You Halfway" do have a little charm going for them, these albums were a vehicle for the show, the show a vehicle for the albums. That was true of the Monkees, too, but the difference is that, once put together, the group eventually got together and helped take some control of the music (and Mike Nesmith was apparently confident enough to make sure he and his song would get their place, regardless of who else was in the studio). That, and the Monkees had many major talents in all facets of their recordings that makes the Partridge material come off as the pro piffle it really was. Mike Melvoin? Talented, but when he tried to do his own thing, nobody cared. Session man? Much better money, and he's a major part of the PF sound. No stretch for him, but can't imagine it was very satisfying beyond a nice bank account.

Great sounding fun piffle though - for a kid growing up in the 60s and 70s.........ear candy to Snood. Loved those great late 60s and 70s top 40 artist and one hit wonders. Snood has soooooo much of that stuff it so sticky sweeeeeeet. :banana:

Do think the Monkees were in over their head once they started getting more control.........their later albums were all over the place and not as radio friendly. Perhaps that was what they were going for and also perhaps they forgot what got their bread buttered to begin with............the hits :phones

Oh Snood forgot to do the ole But "GOS brought them up it's all his doing..............

Love ya GOS :banana:

Anyone paying attention (and at least from my age group) know that the Partridges were a fabricated band and a fabricated family.....with "semi" professional singers doing the work....

Regardless....guilty pleasure.....fun music.....mindless...yep. Love it. Used to have a couple Partridge Family 8-tracks...oh the times.

Great sounding fun piffle though - for a kid growing up in the 60s and 70s.........ear candy to Snood. Loved those great late 60s and 70s top 40 artist and one hit wonders. Snood has soooooo much of that stuff it so sticky sweeeeeeet. :banana:

Do think the Monkees were in over their head once they started getting more control.........their later albums were all over the place and not as radio friendly. Perhaps that was what they were going for and also perhaps they forgot what got their bread buttered to begin with............the hits :phones

Oh Snood forgot to do the ole But "GOS brought them up it's all his doing..............

Love ya GOS :banana:

Hey my man...we're on the same page. No apologies. On another note.....I love me some KC & The Sunshine Band...now we're talking....lmao!

Hey my man...we're on the same page. No apologies. On another note.....I love me some KC & The Sunshine Band...now we're talking....lmao!

Yes my KCSB brother - Saw them in concert twice waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when they were big................they did put on a great show.

Now if they would only release KCSB's catalog in 5.1 - OH Heaven :rolleyes:

Hehehe - I think we have taken over the thread. Mid/late 70's rule. LMAO.

[video=youtube;83I9El6C47A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83I9El6C47A[/video] We need surround...

You guys got me thinking about this one though I'm not sure it qualifies:

Screen shot 2015-01-30 at 8.28.05 PM.jpg

Hehehe - I think we have taken over the thread. Mid/late 70's rule. LMAO.

[video=youtube;83I9El6C47A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83I9El6C47A[/video] We need surround...

Oh Man that Horn Section was half the show if not more...............The real KC!!!! :banana:

OK, on a more serious note....I always LOVED this song and for that matter....rather liked the band FOCUS. I don't honestly know how seriously I took them....and certainly after seeing this "live" video...you may not take them seriously either. Love the theatrics of the keyboard player...hahaha!

Anyway, if I recall...Jan Akkerman was in the band, though I didn't confirm this before making this post....

Enjoy!! I do....

[video=youtube;g4ouPGGLI6Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ouPGGLI6Q[/video]

OK, on a more serious note....I always LOVED this song and for that matter....rather liked the band FOCUS. I don't honestly know how seriously I took them....and certainly after seeing this "live" video...you may not take them seriously either. Love the theatrics of the keyboard player...hahaha!

Anyway, if I recall...Jan Akkerman was in the band, though I didn't confirm this before making this post....

Enjoy!! I do....

......and I will next weekend, they're on the bill at the Giants of Rock festival, only Thijs van Leer on Keyboards, and Pierre van der Linden on drums remain from the originals, Jan Akkerman left or was booted out in '76 - I think! I saw them a few years ago in tiny venue with about 200-250 in the audience, and they were brilliant, though Thijs van Leer is rather more than mildly eccentric!

Enjoy!! I do....

I just finished making a DVD A of their quad mixes. Have you heard them?

Back