Heard something about a brand-new SQ decoder?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChopperCharles

I've heard something about a new SQ decoder, supposedly inexpensive and as good as a Tate. Is this rumor, or reality? If reality, where can I buy it?

Charles.

Yes, I've already found that website. There's no link to BUY one. That site is full of a lot of marketing hooplah and links to reviews, but not a single link to where I can buy one of these things.

Looks like vaporware to me at this point.

Charles.

So the sq version doesnt do RM then? No switch so i assume it only decodes SQ...

The SQ version of the decoder also has their "Involve" decoding which is a very advanced QS decoder. It should handle RM encoded material very well.

The Involve is the same 3 band decoding as the QSD1 and the same seperation
The SQ is as good as a Tate decoder it also decodes SQ in 3 Bands

So Involve is QS

And the price is in Australian Dollars so that is about 12pc cheaper in US Dollars

I'm confused.

Is the SQ version SQ only? Or does it automatically detect? If I want to do both SQ and QS, do I need to buy two units?

Charles.

I'm confused.

Is the SQ version SQ only? Or does it automatically detect? If I want to do both SQ and QS, do I need to buy two units?

Charles.

Hi ChopperCharles
You can say it is a malty player not to confuse you to much, it will decode DTS 5.1 & Dolby 5.1 and SQ - QS Matrix and synthesise Stereo, it is in the way you connect the audio cables in the back of the unit & what you switch in the front of the unit.
I hope I have not confused you to much..
Bill...

I'm confused.

Charles.

It handles both - SQ and QS. There is a switch on the front of the unit that lets you choose which matrix decode mode is active at any given time.
You turn off the unit and then switch to the other mode to change.

Okay cool. I can't afford a Tate, and even finding one is impossible these days. But this i can afford, and it will probably destroy both my Pioneer QX4000 (pre-logic) and my Sony SQD-2070 (basic logic). Plus it works for SQ and QS/RM... okay I have to have one.

Charles.

Okay cool. I can't afford a Tate, and even finding one is impossible these days. But this i can afford, and it will probably destroy both my Pioneer QX4000 (pre-logic) and my Sony SQD-2070 (basic logic). Plus it works for SQ and QS/RM... okay I have to have one.

Charles.

HI.
If you do buy the SM, I think you will be very happy and surprised in what you have been missing.
You could still use your Pioneer QX4000 to input the audio from the SM or you could invest in 2 powerfull Stereo amps not new from Ebay for cost saving or a not new surround amp with in puts.
Bill..

Oh I'd just replace the Sony SQD-2070 in the tape loop. The QX4000 was my father's receiver, and it has many memories and nostalgia attached to it. But I will totally add a better outboard decoder to it. (That's why I bought the Sony decoder in the first place)

Charles.

Hello CC.

This may or may not be important for you: the Involve decoder digitizes the analog stereo signals and does the matrix processing in the digital domain.

Enjoy!

This does NOT do DTS/Dolby !

Hi ChopperCharles
You can say it is a malty player not to confuse you to much, it will decode DTS 5.1 & Dolby 5.1 and SQ - QS Matrix and synthesise Stereo, it is in the way you connect the audio cables in the back of the unit & what you switch in the front of the unit.
I hope I have not confused you to much..
Bill...

Hi surroundophile
I own a Surround Master I have a test DTS disc & DOLBY disc which has channel identivacation on them, when used the correct channels are correctly on my system. As I said before one set of connection of the SM dells with the SQ QS matrix and the other connection dells with other forms of surround DTS & DOLBY 5.1.
Bill...

HI.
If you do buy the SM, I think you will be very happy and surprised in what you have been missing.
You could still use your Pioneer QX4000 to input the audio from the SM or you could invest in 2 powerfull Stereo amps not new from Ebay for cost saving or a not new surround amp with in puts.
Bill..

"You could still use your Pioneer QX4000 to input the audio from the SM"

If that was done, wouldn't the Pioneer QX4000 mess with the decoding done by the SM???

Help me understand this. Thanks!!

Hal

Hi. hnash53
Yes you could use your Pioneer QX4000 if you are only going to use it in 4ch. mode, you would use the 4ch Aux. Inputs or 4ch Tape. Inputs, and from the SM 4ch Out Puts LF RF & LB RB goes to your QX4000, this will give you the SQ & the QS Matrix & the synth modes you don't need the centre Ch. and remember to Switch the SM-SQ or the QS mode before you turn it on depending on what you are going to listen to.
I hope this will help. Ow using the 4ch In Put of the QX4000 will bypass the internal modes

"You could still use your Pioneer QX4000 to input the audio from the SM"

If that was done, wouldn't the Pioneer QX4000 mess with the decoding done by the SM???

Help me understand this. Thanks!!

Hal

Last edited:
Back