HiRez Poll Bread - BEST OF BREAD, Vol 1 [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bread - BEST OF BREAD

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
A 9 for me also, very good sonics, a "warm" and immersive (for quad) mix that fits the tunes, particularly side 1. Favorite is "Look What You've Done", now if they had only paid a few extra pennalas and grafted on Guitar Man, we could have probably dispensed with that volume 2......

Mine arrived today :) so just gave it a quick spin. Sounds very, very good indeed. I will listen a few more times before rating but expect it'll be at least a 9 ;)

Thanks for the reviews, people. I'm properly excited about this one!

I gave this a 9. I've only heard maybe two Bread songs before. Picked this up to support the release of these 4.0 SACD's.
Sound: 10/10 an excellent sounding disc
Mix: 10/10 The quad mix is tastefully done. Discrete without being gimmicky.
Songs: 9/10 Not a fan of the first half of this album which sounds like a bunch of sappy love songs to me. Second half is better as it actually rocks.

I've only ever bought the Best of Bread compilations, but I've always liked their music. The music a 9, the sound clarity a 9 (I was amazed at how good it was), the surround mix a 9. I have to say this one brought a big smile to my face. Bring on more! :cool:

Yep, this is a '10' here, just a superb job from a source that was very exceptional to begin with.

Along with the Carpenters, Bread brought some fine sounds to easy listening when they began to have their big hits in 1970. Karen and Richard, however, geared themselves toward pure pop, whereas Bread (and most of all leader David Gates) were seasoned veterans who had covered many genres, working in the L.A. scene of production, songwriting, arranging, session musicians, contriving bands, etc. In other words, guys like Gates and Jimmy Griffin had a lot of mileage on their vehicle before Bread was formed. After a tentative (but interesting) debut album in 1969, they got it together in 1970 with "Make It with You" and through early '73, were consistently enjoyable. This album, for me, is one of the finest combinations of balladry and good (if not great) rock ever assembled and, as noted by many, the ballads dominated the A-sides, but the B's and a few A's revealed a rocking side that could be pretty solid (thanks, Jimmy).

And all else aside, "Diary," like the Bee Gees' "First of May" remains one of the most wonderfully sad and regretful pop ballads ever made, the kind that, at the right moment, can bring tears your eyes and understanding to your heart of what one had (and could have kept) and what was so achingly lost. David Gates, a man who produced, wrote or arranged everyone from anonymous girl groups and the best and dullest of pop crooners (although a nod for Glenn Yarbrough's "Baby, The Rain Must Fall," which my late mama loved) to the Monkees and (early) Captain Beefheart, is a man deserving of the Rock & Roll HOF--among other halls, IMO. He is understandably remembered for Bread, but his resume is a deep one, and finding some of those obscure 45's with his name on them has always kept me searching.

Finally, if you really dig this disc, find a used copy (Lp or CD) of the album, and note some things added to a few songs, and a few overdubs missing from the quad mixes. I've never cataloged them, but if you know the material well, some will stand out.

ED :)

I took a chance on The Best of Bread SACD and didn't expect much. Turns out, I know most of this music from my youth but only from AM radio. As other reviewers have mentioned, the mix is tasteful and fidelity excellent. I was concerned it was going to be thin sounding but it's warm and full. I also bumped the sub up just a bit (don't have full range fronts and surrounds) and am more than pleased with the result. I like the content, the sappy love songs and the rockers. A solid nine from me.

First off, say what you feel about Bread or "soft rock" in general, but for my money no one wrote such heartfelt songs as David Gates. I hesitate to call myself a "fan" because I only have their hits, but I love their hits.

Now, regarding this SACD, I was going to buy it regardless and I'll never regret doing so. However, the quad mix, in my opinion, could be a little more adventurous without being distracting. The funny thing is, I've found their stereo mixes to be among the most discrete I can recall. However, using the "method" described here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?20061-Blood-Sweat-amp-Tears-BLOOD-SWEAT-AND-TEARS-SACD-4-0&p=243734&highlight=#post243734 I'm finding that the rear speakers are mostly reserved for strings. It's nice, and occasionally there are other instruments back there, but I think there could have been more.

Still, it sounds more gorgeous than ever, so I'm going with an 8.

First off, say what you feel about Bread or "soft rock" in general, but for my money no one wrote such heartfelt songs as David Gates. I hesitate to call myself a "fan" because I only have their hits, but I love their hits.

Now, regarding this SACD, I was going to buy it regardless and I'll never regret doing so. However, the quad mix, in my opinion, could be a little more adventurous without being distracting. The funny thing is, I've found their stereo mixes to be among the most discrete I can recall. However, using the "method" described here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?20061-Blood-Sweat-amp-Tears-BLOOD-SWEAT-AND-TEARS-SACD-4-0&p=243734&highlight=#post243734 I'm finding that the rear speakers are mostly reserved for strings. It's nice, and occasionally there are other instruments back there, but I think there could have been more.

Still, it sounds more gorgeous than ever, so I'm going with an 8.

I have to amend my earlier comments by adding that the drums move to the rear speaker(s) on the rock tunes. Oddly.

A definite 10 for me. Love the music and the mix is perfect. Glad to have this on sacd.

I definitely prefer what was side one of this album. Being a vintage quad mix, it was presumably designed for a four equal/identical speakers system, and as such doesn't always suit a setup like mine that has smaller speakers at the rear, particularly when the bass is sent solely/mainly to one of the rear speakers.

I definitely prefer what was side one of this album. Being a vintage quad mix, it was presumably designed for a four equal/identical speakers system, and as such doesn't always suit a setup like mine that has smaller speakers at the rear, particularly when the bass is sent solely/mainly to one of the rear speakers.

Bass in one rear speaker? I HATE that, it is a really stupid mixing decision. Only a moron would put bass guitar in one speaker.

I was a bit harsh with my vote, I would give it a 7.

I have the CD-4 and the Quad reel and this is far better for sound quality, just what I would expect form Audio Fidelity. I love the mix, full centre vocals and everything else all around. I must be a moron because I have no prob with bass guitar in one speaker. My favourites are the rocking tracks Mother Freedom and Let Your Love Go. Rate a ten for sure!!!!

I've managed to cable up so I can opt to hear just the rear channels in my front pair. Make It With You is gorgeous in this stripped down form.

I've managed to cable up so I can opt to hear just the rear channels in my front pair. Make It With You is gorgeous in this stripped down form.

I have a set of splitter RCA jacks who's sole purpose is to bring rear channels to both front and rear sets, so I can listen to my discs in this mode sometimes. It brings a fun ride to the album especially if you know it well. You brain can fill in the missing elements.

Back