HiRez Poll Bread - BEST OF BREAD, Vol 1 [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bread - BEST OF BREAD

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I voted a 5. This is the first and hopefully last surround album I fall asleep to while listening to it the first time. I had this on CD4 back in the day and don't remember it being this lame.

I've tried listening several times since the first try and results haven't been better. You can find my copy at a Goodwill store here in Florida.

I voted a 5. This is the first and hopefully last surround album I fall asleep to while listening to it the first time. I had this on CD4 back in the day and don't remember it being this lame.

I've tried listening several times since the first try and results haven't been better. You can find my copy at a Goodwill store here in Florida.

So, what does the 5 mean? Are you just voting on the content? What about the fidelity and surround mix? These polls are much more useful if folks consider those elements - this way they can decide if they still want it. Not saying you didn't, just curious.

So, what does the 5 mean? Are you just voting on the content? What about the fidelity and surround mix? These polls are much more useful if folks consider those elements - this way they can decide if they still want it. Not saying you didn't, just curious.

Hard to define sound and surround quality when you are put to sleep.

Goodness, I just love these blatantly discrete quad mixes. Brilliant stuff.... Mother Freedom - Bread Zeppelin as David Gates once said!

Musical tastes change over the years but in my case, I was VERY enamored of this album and was surprised that I enjoyed it even more. The arrangements are inventive, the harmonies delightful and the surround mix as heard on my system overwhelmed me with its spot on accuracy. A solid 10 from me!

If you want absolute excitement, hirez, try Al Kooper's over the top 5.1 mix of BS&T Child Is Father to the Man. If you fall asleep, then chalk it up to physical/mental exhaustion!

I still have never purchased the AF Bread disc, Ralph. Not sure why? Not heavy enough for me I think? But I have some heavy music that are surround duds, so maybe I should add this too my hobby?

I still have never purchased the AF Bread disc, Ralph. Not sure why? Not heavy enough for me I think? But I have some heavy music that are surround duds, so maybe I should add this too my hobby?

Mark, I try NOT to steer anyone in the wrong direction (Remember your disenchantment with Checkfield?) but I think the B of B does contain some VERY inventive music making. Do these guys rock hard? Hardly, but there are a few rockers on the album that contain some very tasty guitar riffs, etc. and their harmonies are heavenly. Certainly captured in full sonic glory by Elektra Records and admirably mastered from the original and very discrete quad tapes by our friends at Audio Fidelity.

It's your 'bread,' Mark but I'd personally give it a try. It's really better than you think! And if you don't 'dig' it, then you can always feed it to the birds.:bounce17

If "Mother Freedom," "Truckin'" and "Let Your Love Go" are what you consider sleep inducing, what do you need for stimulation? "Sister Ray"? An hour of METAL MACHINE MUSIC? (Well, that one was quad, wasn't it?) Some Amon Duul?

I can understand if someone simply doesn't dig this kind of pop, though for its time, I think it's just about as good as that sort of thing got. And this wasn't the work of hacks, as was (and remains) so often the case with people who are more entertainers than musicians.

Probably helped that many of us were there back when these were hits, so when the album came out it was all familiar.

ED :)

If "Mother Freedom," "Truckin'" and "Let Your Love Go" are what you consider sleep inducing, what do you need for stimulation? "Sister Ray"? An hour of METAL MACHINE MUSIC? (Well, that one was quad, wasn't it?) Some Amon Duul?

I can understand if someone simply doesn't dig this kind of pop, though for its time, I think it's just about as good as that sort of thing got. And this wasn't the work of hacks, as was (and remains) so often the case with people who are more entertainers than musicians.

Probably helped that many of us were there back when these were hits, so when the album came out it was all familiar.

ED :)

Hard to hear them when you've already been put to sleep. I was back there when these were hits and owned this disc as a CD4.

I struggled getting through the first half (Side One), really not my style of music.
But things picked up on Side Two and I heard a lot of more upbeat unfamiliar music that I quite enjoyed.
And the sound quality on this disc is among the best AF has released so bonus points for that

Hard to hear them when you've already been put to sleep. I was back there when these were hits and owned this disc as a CD4.

Why do you think people are questioning you about your rating?..It's not just that's it's low...but you provide no real reason for such a rating...comments like "lame" and it puts you to sleep aren't explanations....by your own admission you owned this "back in the day"...so you were aware of the content..so if it's not the content...what is it?....you can vote anything you want on these polls but you do potential buyers of this disc a disservice with these "random" ratings...it also hurts the credibility of the poll system...I'm not surprised at this puzzling rating because you voted a 3 on the Aqualung poll...with no post at all explaining that rating on what is considered by most as one of the best surround versions ever.....so I know to ignore your ratings...but others that use this information might not be familiar with your actions...

Why do you think people are questioning you about your rating?..It's not just that's it's low...but you provide no real reason for such a rating...comments like "lame" and it puts you to sleep aren't explanations....by your own admission you owned this "back in the day"...so you were aware of the content..so if it's not the content...what is it?....you can vote anything you want on these polls but you do potential buyers of this disc a disservice with these "random" ratings...it also hurts the credibility of the poll system...I'm not surprised at this puzzling rating because you voted a 3 on the Aqualung poll...with no post at all explaining that rating on what is considered by most as one of the best surround versions ever.....so I know to ignore your ratings...but others that use this information might not be familiar with your actions...

+1000

I gave this disc a 7. Performance was OK. Not my type of music. To be objective the Quad Mix was really good, well balanced, nothing irritating at any speaker, good job.

I've taken a few months to vote as I needed to become more familiar with the music. I had never heard these songs before as I was way too young when they came out.

Superbly performed and recorded and the mix really lets you appreciate this. I like that Audio Fidelity has chosen to releases a few "best of' albums such as this one. I've been playing this disc a lot recently and it's making me wish that all the Bread/David Gates Quad LPs would be released in a neat little set.

Very tasteful and well balanced Quad mix with an amazing fidelity due to the high quality of the recording. I gave it a 9.

If you are able, listen to the rear channels only through the front pair.

Can't believe I have had this disc for over 5 years and not rated it. An easy 10. 'If' only 'Guitar Man' could have been added on.
It would of been great if Volume 2 was also done in Quad; you would think that it would of been, given a release date of 1973. So just wondering if (Quad) masters exist that just never got released?

Back