Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier I started listening to the Cowboy Junkies...the female vocalists are superb on that title...but as the album progressed.. it lost some of the good vibes...one of the male singers was flat out terrible...no hiding it...and the songs just seemed like they were all the same...so what started out as excellent ended up being good...glad I heard it...but I probably won't play it again...

Earlier I started listening to the Cowboy Junkies...the female vocalists are superb on that title...but as the album progressed.. it lost some of the good vibes...one of the male singers was flat out terrible...no hiding it...and the songs just seemed like they were all the same...so what started out as excellent ended up being good...glad I heard it...but I probably won't play it again...

I have never, ever heard them - and I will admit that nothing more than their name scared me off. :yikes

That 'flat' male vocalist was none other than Vic Chestnutt who died a year after doing this recording. Wheelchair bound, he was never a strong vocalist but was known for his songwriting expertise.

UGH - I really need to buy this.

It's ironic that I said the disc was "fun"...it was my first time playing it and in the beginning it was "fun"...but my mood changed when you saw Jim basically deteriorate as the music got farther along in his brief career...the videos with police on the stage and his appearance no longer was that of an innocent young man...but one that had prematurely aged... due to his lifestyle..the beard that seems to hang over his body and soul like a dark cloud...in that last year of his life... at the tender age of 27...he looked like a much older man...I felt sorry for the rest of the band those last few years...never knowing what Jim might do on stage and having to improvise when he did..hard to believe he has been gone since 1971...and his girl friend/partner Pam died in 1974...also at the age of 27 of a heroin overdose....and the Doors died publicly when Ray Manzarek died in 2013 at 74...I say that because Ray kept the Doors in the public's eye..always talking about the band and promoting it...so what started out as fun...turned into melancholy...

It's ironic that I said the disc was "fun"...it was my first time playing it and in the beginning it was "fun"...but my mood changed when you saw Jim basically deteriorate as the music got farther along in his brief career...the videos with police on the stage and his appearance no longer was that of an innocent young man...but one that had prematurely aged... due to his lifestyle..the beard that seems to hang over his body and soul like a dark cloud...in that last year of his life... at the tender age of 27...he looked like a much older man...I felt sorry for the rest of the band those last few years...never knowing what Jim might do on stage and having to improvise when he did..hard to believe he has been gone since 1971...and his girl friend/partner Pam died in 1974...also at the age of 27 of a heroin overdose....and the Doors died publicly when Ray Manzarek died in 2013 at 74...I say that because Ray kept the Doors in the public's eye..always talking about the band and promoting it...so what started out as fun...turned into melancholy...

An interesting tidbit about Jim's father's comments from a 2006 article: http://www.chron.com/entertainment/...ad-breaks-silence-about-estranged-1489213.php

Alan Parsons - A Valid Path - DualDisc DTS 5.1
This disc showed up HAAAMMMEEERRREEEDDD (listing said "Brand New"). Hopefully it plays through without any skips or a certain eBay seller is going to get an earfull! :ebay

Last edited:
Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye (CD-4 Quadraphonic LP)

Universal could've saved themselves a fortune imho and reissued the old Quad rather than remix tracks from this into 5.1 TWICE.. the Quad was perfect all along. :sun

Cowboy Junkies-Trinity Revisited DVD...I'm only on song 3 but I like what I hear...the opening vocal is superb...such clarity..another example of using a DVD and getting excellent sonic results...

FWIW I find Vic Chestnut a bit hard to listen to and Ryan Adams sounds a little off key vocally (but his guitar works), and but this is not their own album so I certainly don't expect any type of perfection from them.

This should in no way dissaude you from enjoying some of the performances. I like some but not all of the tunes , but the selling point for me anyways, is that it is a very good surround disc for just Dolby. I find it a jewel in the rough. Heard many Dolby onlies ....and this one actually works....for me.:D

The Doors-The Doors DVD-A from the Perception box.......Strange Days DVD-A also from the Perception box

Last edited:
This disc is a unique listen.

A good friend had this copy of a copy of a copy , and sent me this....conversion.

The original is in UHJ surround.

Runrig. Cutter and The Clan

20171214_181802.jpg

First song sung in Gaelic, but it works, really rocks. :D

Back