Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It grew on me too....it grew right out my door and into someone else's hands who liked it more than me. :)

Yep...that's the plan I have adopted...I used to keep all the titles...regardless of how much I liked them...but I recently adopted a "catch and release" program...why hold onto something that doesn't entertain you...let it go to someone who will really enjoy and use it(y)...we all like different things...

I like Idlewild much better also...I voted a 10 for Idlewild on the poll and gave Eat A Peach an 8...the Peach was recommended to me early in my surround collecting days...it's not bad by any means...

Have you heard the quad mix? It's obviously not as clear as the SACD (the reel probably sounds nice though), but it is definitely more discrete. I don't spin the SACD too much but I'm glad both options exist.

Idlewild is a real hoot though...they should definitely give that engineer some more remix projects. It's funny because I think the same guy did the Peach & Fillmore SACDs, which are nowhere near as discrete. Guess he's got different philosophies about mixing studio tracks vs. live into surround.

Have you heard the quad mix? It's obviously not as clear as the SACD (the reel probably sounds nice though), but it is definitely more discrete. I don't spin the SACD too much but I'm glad both options exist.

Idlewild is a real hoot though...they should definitely give that engineer some more remix projects. It's funny because I think the same guy did the Peach & Fillmore SACDs, which are nowhere near as discrete. Guess he's got different philosophies about mixing studio tracks vs. live into surround.

Never heard the quad...Kevin Reeves did the surround mix and also remastered Idlewild...he does good work...been around a long time...I think he's still at Sterling Sound....he didn't do the surround mix on Eat A Peach...

Never heard the quad...Kevin Reeves did the surround mix and also remastered Idlewild...he does good work...been around a long time...I think he's still at Sterling Sound....he didn't do the surround mix on Eat A Peach...

Kevin Reeves does good work , for both Idelwild and the Velvet Underground surround album .Would love it if he would take on some more classics .

The quad "Peach" is also quite good and was mixed by epladin fr QQ .It's a mix of live and studio tracks which epaladin (Ovie Sparks) mixed .

a little comment on posts can be found here , specifically post #92.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?20318-Discussion-with-Thomas-Mowrey/page4

Kevin Reeves does good work , for both Idelwild and the Velvet Underground surround album .Would love it if he would take on some more classics .

The quad "Peach" is also quite good and was mixed by epladin fr QQ .It's a mix of live and studio tracks which epaladin (Ovie Sparks) mixed .

a little comment on posts can be found here , specifically post #92.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?20318-Discussion-with-Thomas-Mowrey/page4

I wonder where Ovie got his nickname "Light"...hmm...let's see Ovie "Light" Sparks......maybe he can comment on that if he ever posts on here again...he's a talented guy with an impressive resume...worked with the Marshall Tucker Band and was involved with many other well known bands.... Eat A Peach was certainly a "dual" project...some songs recorded at Fillmore East and some at Criteria Recording Studios...the SACD version also mixed and mastered at different locations...

Didn't know he also did the Velvet Underground mix...does it have the same ultra-discrete vibe as Idlewild?

Might have to check it out then...

Didn't know he also did the Velvet Underground mix...does it have the same ultra-discrete vibe as Idlewild?

Might have to check it out then...

The Velvet U is killer.....it is very Quaddy sounding. Old school vibe....music is amazing. In my opinion that is....I dig Lou Reed.

Isaac Hayes - Shaft

Oh.. for the love of Quad.. this should be out on Surround SACD or something already....

..it is (in my ever so 'umble opinion!) a truly magnificent multichannel music mix.... :worthy

DV to the rescue!?!?!?! :yikes

Did you manage to mend your album 2 tape then?

Isaac Hayes - Shaft

Oh.. for the love of Quad.. this should be out on Surround SACD or something already....

..it is (in my ever so 'umble opinion!) a truly magnificent multichannel music mix.... :worthy

DV to the rescue!?!?!?! :yikes

Shaft is a perfect quad mix... there’s something unique and discrete in every speaker at all times, and the sparcity of the instrumentation makes the mix that much clearer. I want this in hi-Rez quad!!

Back