Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shaft is a perfect quad mix... there’s something unique and discrete in every speaker at all times, and the sparcity of the instrumentation makes the mix that much clearer. I want this in hi-Rez quad!!

so very true! all the Stax Quads I've heard are amazeballs mixes! personal favourite = Tough Guys, just *wow* :yikes

Rufusized - Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan

oh faaaa--kkkkk... this is still one of the sexiest Quads I've yet to hear... it helps that the QS decodes so brilliantly through the Surround Master.. maybe one day I'll find the Q8 for the full on discrete-o-quadro experience.. yeah right, pigs might flyyyyyy... but until then.. :smokin

R.E.M Green. Advanced Resolution 5.1 DVD-A.
51aUg7HNSIL._AC_US500_QL65_.jpg

David Bowie - Heathen SACD... I can't stop listening to this... the fidelity and mix are spectacular and I love about half the songs ("Slip Away" is killer!)

Idlewild is a real hoot though...they should definitely give that engineer some more remix projects. It's funny because I think the same guy did the Peach & Fillmore SACDs, which are nowhere near as discrete. Guess he's got different philosophies about mixing studio tracks vs. live into surround.

Across the fronts, the full band are placed accurately in the sound field as they were on stage.
(Oakley's bass centered, not phantom L+R)

Dowd's goal was not rear "discreteness" for listeners 45 years in the future.

Here's a memory from the late Butch Trucks that puts the much-maligned Fillmore mixes in context:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...71-fillmore-east-run-an-oral-history-20160311

Trucks: If it wasn't for Tom Dowd and his genius at knowing acoustics and setting up microphones ...
There were certain things that he did to get the sound that you just can't miss on At Fillmore East that every engineer out there would scream and holler is completely heretical.
For one thing, Tom Dowd always told us that the most important thing about making a live album is that the most important microphones on that stage are pointed at the audience.
He wanted all the sound on the record to feel like what it was like if you were at the Fillmore East, so he opened all of the vocal mics onstage and left them open for the whole show. Not once did he shut anything off.
He knew that we could play well enough and that as long as we were playing our best, [the album] was not going to have to be remixed or repaired or anything else. You get all that ambience coming at you, and you don't have to add a whole lot of outboard equipment or reverb or this, that and the other.

ELO - ELO Quad..... :)

And, it just occurred to me that certain songs on this particular disc totally remind me of Ian Cooke......totally serious. Wow! Never noticed that before. Just listen to the ELO song called, Look At Me Now from the Quad ELO album.....man oh man.....

Shostakovich/Barber - Symphony No.5 and Adagio SACD (Honeck/Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra)... Fantastic fidelity; wide soundstage mix that fills the room. I love the ending of the 4th movement... BIG tympani drums!! Adagio is the saddest piece of music ever (the theme from Platoon)... wonderful. Thanks for the recommendation, Kal:)

GOS - that's perceptive. Thanks for listening! I'm certainly influenced by Jeff Lynne and ELO, but I'm not sure about Cooke actually. He really likes some Supertramp from that era. Perceptive listeners may also hear some classical references/sections in two songs.
For him big influences are Bach, Joanna Newsom, Rasputina, Tori Amos. People often say XTC and Genesis too, but we didn't really get into them until the past 5 years or so (unfortunately).
ELO is coming to Denver! I much prefer Lynne as a producer, but I sure do like ELO.

GOS - that's perceptive. Thanks for listening! I'm certainly influenced by Jeff Lynne and ELO, but I'm not sure about Cooke actually. He really likes some Supertramp from that era. Perceptive listeners may also hear some classical references/sections in two songs.
For him big influences are Bach, Joanna Newsom, Rasputina, Tori Amos. People often say XTC and Genesis too, but we didn't really get into them until the past 5 years or so (unfortunately).
ELO is coming to Denver! I much prefer Lynne as a producer, but I sure do like ELO.

I love Tori Amos - wouldn't it be fun to have her music in multi-channel? I think so. :)

Brad Hebert's free album(y)
&
Delta Machine - Depeche Mode: NICE! (Should be Higher is my DM favorite track!!!) At last I got the Live Berlin CD/DVD/BD with the Delta Machine 5.1 mix - Anyone heard something about their 2017 album Spirit in 5.1?

And more for tonite.

Frank Zappa-Halloween DVDA. Such a stellar surround mix with this disc. I find I have to crank my vol. a bit.....but maybe that's a delberate ploy from Zappaland.
Works 4 me.!! ;)

20171028_201742.jpg

And for what it's worth, Zappa-wise......from Roxy And Elsewhere , I find Penguin In Bondage to be a very good 5.1 mix , sufficient use of the rears.
And what a catchy tune, so gonna play me some .:smokin

Back